Forum

TF2 Open Beta

Created 6th September 2010 @ 22:32

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 14 Next »

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

I think small tweaks could improve the game to make it fairer such as very little fall-off damage for direct hits from the normal rocket launcher or maybe reducing the number of stickies that can be laid down at a time.
No huge changes though.
I don’t think the game should be sped up with more things like the DH or speeding up classes either. TF2 has a nice speed – Faster than most FPSs now but not so fast that it alienates new people (turning it into a game only played by a few select pros, as said in earlier posts)

Prestige19

[8==D]

Quoted from quad

I would like to see the game more fast paced somehow
Faster rockets
somekind of shotty for demo
increased movement speed

Would just like to see how it would work out.

tf2’s pacing is pretty much perfect. faster rockets might work, if they say, made the direct hit not jump overable (-50% splash), and maybe made it do 70-110 damage instead of 50-140.

demo is indirect combat (nades aren’t really accurate, but i guess they make up for it by having a huge splash radius/hitbox), a shotty wouldn’t fit.

Memento Mori

Would like consistent grenade roll, as well as experimenting with 1-5% solly speed increase

Also to increase support class effectiveness you could just try giving each support class a small speed buff (scaled to each class and tested) in the first 15 seconds of a match… could help those classes do something on middle compared to now where your team will just get shat on if you run a pyro or heavy on middle (at least on maps where you can rocket jump, i’m not counting that new freight with the shitty wooden boards and lack of options for jump routes).
This could also be activated only on mp_tournament 1 as to not upset the perfect balance of public games.

The main problem is that each of the support classes is basically a one-trick pony, including pyro which has lots of support uses on crowded public servers but is basically only good for juggling ubers or maybe being a bit of a distraction in 6v6.

It would be incredibly hard to come up with more variety for each class without encroaching on the raw DM power and mobility of the main 3, which I believe no update should change. Scout soldier and demo should always be the best because they are based entirely around fragging and being speedy. Adding more fragging power or mobility to support classes wouldn’t really work without drastically changing (ruining) the fun DM aspect of the main classes.

But this beta is a good opportunity to test new alpha 5cp map layouts and get thousands of players worth of feedback.
Really need some more 5CPs. Or just some community hats and a payload race, valve won’t listen to me anyway

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Memento Mori

Really need some more 5CPs. Or just some community hats and a payload race, valve won’t listen to me anyway

You mean like these?

http://etf2l.org/forum/maps/topic-11264/page-1/
http://etf2l.org/forum/maps/topic-12279/page-1/
http://etf2l.org/forum/maps/topic-8350/page-1/
http://etf2l.org/forum/maps/topic-8978/page-1/

or any of the hundreds of artworks here?
http://tf2maps.net/

Not saying all of those are good maps, but the problem is people cba to test, not that there is a lack of maps.

Azdean

WTH!?

We as a community are far too stubborn, we need to embrace change not cast it away. If we love this game and want it to grow then we need to start accepting change’s.

-Maps
Quoted from Skyride

[…]
Not saying all of those are good maps, but the problem is people cba to test, not that there is a lack of maps.

The tf2 has so many creative individuals, we are sitting on a wealth of talented map makers and we as a community do NOTHING to support them.
We have been playing the same small and frankly dull set of maps for THREE years guys!

Monday Night Madness was such a good step and it could have worked out so well, we as a league could easily form a partnership with tf2maps.net and test out 5cp maps every other monday.

Not only do we help support the tf2 community as a whole but we also introduce new maps into competitive play. Every season we play the same old maps guys, we need to be alot more accepting of change’s if we want to attract new players and grow the community.
A core set of maps is fine but I want to see a wealth of new maps every season with old maps being phased out, not just one or two that we have been testing for months and will then play for the next three years.

-Unlocks
This is a argument that has raged through these forums for such a long time and frankly it’s been ridiculous.
In this thread fragga has made so many good points, the guy has been on the money 90% of the time.

We need to be more accepting of unlocks, something this game has over every other game out there is that we have variety but day after day we not only neglect this selling point but we flat out reject it.

Medic+Vanilla is another way of saying “lets kill TF2”, The only reason the stigma exists is because we see it as a comfort zone. Why are we trying to make this game into what it’s not?

This game will never be COD,CSS or Quake so why do we push for the same mundane mentality’s those community’s have? We don’t need pro mod’s we don’t need to play the same maps year after year. This is tf2, we have a developer that has been busting it’s arse for us for three years now, so why aren’t we embracing their hard work?

We need to keep closing the gap between public and competitive, the highlander tourney is a small stepping stone on a very long road and we as a community need to push for change. We need to remove the bad reputation we have with public players, we need more ways to welcome new players to the community.

Hopefully the beta will make the other class’s more viable in competitive play and our hard working admin overlords need to nurture these change’s not ban them. They need to loosen up the rule’s on unlocks, the gunboats for instance are perfectly viable in competitive play and I’m sure there will be load’s more viable weapons in the polycount update.

And with more unlocks being available and hopefully the other class’s themselves being more viable the gap between competitive and public will become more of a natural progression instead of the huge choice it is now.

But the last thing i’d like to say is that div1 players, you have so much influence over everyone, we all look up too you,
everyone wants to be the next TCM or the next Dignitas ect ect. So you guys need to be the most open minded about change. Constantly wanting vanilla might be great for you guys,
you’ve spent three years practicing with the same weapons on the same maps, but at the end of the day by wanting this and by saying vanilla+med on every single thread that involves change you start to restrict the community.

Competitive tf2 won’t last without new players and with the huge difference’s between competitive and public we need to be more proactive, more accepting and less whiney about change.

TL;DR? Don’t be lazy <3

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

CoD uses promod. Quake had CPMA or whatever. So lets compare it to that. Its not the unlocks that keep pub players away, its the lack of viability of some other popular pub classes. When will some people understand that…….

Last edited by Koeitje,

franco

every game plays the same old maps for years. cod, quake, both counter strikes. yet they are going strong. if tf2 is getting stale after a mere couple of years on the scene because the maps are shit then maybe its a problem with the game. perhaps its not that good after all. i might be wrong time will tell but the most popular games have stood the test of time, trying to pump life into tf2 this early in its life isnt a good sign.

Azdean

WTH!?

Quoted from franco

every game plays the same old maps for years. cod, quake, both counter strikes. yet they are going strong. if tf2 is getting stale after a mere couple of years on the scene because the maps are shit then maybe its a problem with the game. perhaps its not that good after all. i might be wrong time will tell but the most popular games have stood the test of time, trying to pump life into tf2 this early in its life isnt a good sign.

But you are wrong, the reason those game’s are still going strong is because there competitive play’s are literally natural progressions of there public play, but competitive TF2 is not.

TF2 as a game is going strong, competitive play on the other hand is small but stable. TF2 isn’t dieing and it certainly doesn’t need life pumping back into it. But it needs to grow and it is growing. But we need to support that growth, thats literally the point I was trying to put across.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Azdean

[…]

But you are wrong, the reason those game’s are still going strong is because there competitive play’s are literally natural progressions of there public play, but competitive TF2 is not.

TF2 as a game is going strong, competitive play on the other hand is small but stable. TF2 isn’t dieing and it certainly doesn’t need life pumping back into it. But it needs to grow and it is growing. But we need to support that growth, thats literally the point I was trying to put across.

By allowing unlocks? Makes absolutely no sense. Its pretty much like removing the noobtube. Anyone whining about that unlocks need to be allowed is totally missing the point.

Azdean

WTH!?

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

By allowing unlocks? Makes absolutely no sense. Its pretty much like removing the noobtube. Anyone whining about that unlocks need to be allowed is totally missing the point.

No your completely missing the point of the thread, hopefully the beta will make the other class’s more viable which will therefore close the gap.

And that we need to accept these change’s, but while were on the topic yes allowing unlocks (not all of them) but the balenced and viable one’s will close the gap between public and competitive players.

By restricting the weapons players can use your alienateing every player that enjoys using that weapon and when that weapon is perfectly viable in comeptitive play its quite frankly stupid to do.
Yes just allowing unlocks isn’t going to bring a sudden influx of new players into the scene but it is a rather significant part of a bigger picture.

Last edited by Azdean,

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

I like how you totally reversed his argument. Let me try that.

“By banning unlocks? Makes absolutely no sense. Its pretty much like removing the noobtube. Anyone whining about that unlocks need to be banned is totally missing the point.”

Having to ban a weapon is not a good thing.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

If you want to get more pubbers into comp, setup a permanent DDoS on SPUF, stop spreading black propaganda and showing off to them like you were the only people VALVe made this game for.

God damn it, casuals don’t like peacocks you know.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

I think Euro TF2 is at a point where, even if Valve were to miraculously balance all nine classes making heavy, pyro, soldier, sniper etc similar in influence to scouts and demo, the scene would unanimously agree to impose limits or total bans on some classes.

For example, take this situation now, the heavy is incredible at the moment on certain maps, perhaps even too good, rather than accept this players are calling for agreements to not use the class – they don’t want change, because as it stands right now comp TF2 is perfect for demomen, scouts and to a large extent soldiers too, because most soldiers you see nowadays aren’t ones which could carry a team, those soldiers have either quit or changed class.

SoniX

TEZC
TEZC

The US scene banned Natasha because it made the heavy too effective. Your argument is completely opinion based [and retarded]

octochris

(0v0)

Natascha is not very hard to counter, you just have to think about it.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 14 Next »