Unlocks panel

Created 30th June 2012 @ 12:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 28 Next »

choiie

keso

Ban snipers, problem solved.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

You know… there’s about 30 players in this league who actually care for LAN finals. The ones who are going to it. O.k. maybe that’s wrong. Some more people do enjoy watching it, but do they enjoy it _that much more_ than just watching the same two teams playing in a regular match?

Again, there’s very few people in this community who actually care about TF2 growing as an eSport.

The VAST majority of players in this league, just like playing TF2 competitively, for fun. TF2 becoming a successful eSport title or not, is just a side effect of the game being popular. The more competitive players, the more potential viewers for higher skilled games, which means more valuable advertising space, which means prizes and sponsors.

For this reason, if you want the game to be a successful eSport, you need to please the masses, not the top level players. The top level players should be playing the game that the masses want to see, at the highest level they can. By the sounds of things, the masses like hats and unlocks, so if making TF2 a popular eSport is what you’re looking for, unlocks are a must… but maybe it’s too late already.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Quoted from AcidReniX

The top level players should be playing the game that the masses want to see, at the highest level they can.

yesyesyesyesyesyyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes etc.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from AcidReniX

For this reason, if you want the game to be a successful eSport, you need to please the masses, not the top level players. The top level players should be playing the game that the masses want to see, at the highest level they can. By the sounds of things, the masses like hats and unlocks, so if making TF2 a popular eSport is what you’re looking for, unlocks are a must… but maybe it’s too late already.

It ain’t, the game is not yet in a stale state some other titles have reached many years ago. With an appropriate promotion and adaptation it still can be widely considered as an eSports title, but everyone has to understand the game is not going to be taken seriously by the masses any time soon, thanks to Valve. I’ve met many people marginalizing the competitiveness of TF2 just because it’s known so well for hats and unlocks.
Quoted from AcidReniX

TF2 becoming a successful eSport title or not, is just a side effect of the game being popular.

I love emphasizing this, so I’m gonna do it again. You cannot force a title to become considered as an esport game – Brink and Shootmania can serve as primary examples (we shall see about the latter, but just for the sake of it, I’m calling it now).
Besides, ‘esport title’ is just a tag given to popular game supporting competitiveness. I really cannot understand why so many people assemble slogans with this term to be put on banners and marched with across the Internet. I can get hyped over TF2 even while knowing, that nobody aside from our communities give a shit. Sure, it means money, which means LANs and prizes, which means popularity, but I can’t help an impression that some don’t even want to play this game without it.

ouizzeul

BnR!

People like random critical in FFA, should we add random critical in 6v6?

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Quoted from ouizzeul

yes, I might actually kill someone once in a while if that happens.

Kaneco

Quoted from ouizzeul

Actually not sure about that, I think only the very newcomers to tf2 like random crits, to be honest I never played on random crit servers (only 1 or 2 times) and the very first servers I played were no random crits. It’s not that fun for me, of course some times it can have its hilarious moments on pubs, bt overall it’s not worth it for me, and I think most of the pub community prefer non crits as well

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

This went from unlocks to random crits and CL 1, srsly. I hope people are clever enough not to think this is a good idea or the majority want it.

Ghostface

spire

Random Crits and CL1 are bad ideas, but unlocks aren’t.

Basically what Arx said is right. If you wanna see the game thrive, you gotta see top players playing the game how the majority wants it, not the other way around.

Regen

nf.
9F

Quoted from Ghostface

Random Crits and CL1 are bad ideas, but unlocks aren’t.

AcidReniX

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]
I love emphasizing this, so I’m gonna do it again. You cannot force a title to become considered as an esport game – Brink and Shootmania can serve as primary examples (we shall see about the latter, but just for the sake of it, I’m calling it now).
Besides, ‘esport title’ is just a tag given to popular game supporting competitiveness. I really cannot understand why so many people assemble slogans with this term to be put on banners and marched with across the Internet. I can get hyped over TF2 even while knowing, that nobody aside from our communities give a shit. Sure, it means money, which means LANs and prizes, which means popularity, but I can’t help an impression that some don’t even want to play this game without it.

Thing is, the two games you highlighted, also highlight my point, and essentially, you’re saying the same thing as me, but with a different angle.

You can’t force an eSports title. That is correct. Brink and Shootmania are indeed, prime examples. Simply put… they don’t have a public, casual scene, let alone a similar one to the competitive version of the game. Brink was going to be ‘the next big thing’, but only competitive players were interested in it, in the hope it was going to be an eSports title. Simply put, without having a huge community following, usually consisting of public players.. the game will never be an eSports title. Shootmania will be the same. Unless they can get a large number of casual players, playing the game, any instant competitive scene will fall off months later. Even a game like world of warcraft became popular in eSports for a while. That was entirely because of how popular the general game was… nothing more.

Take a look at some of the huge eSports titles past and present.

Quake – Had a huge following. Everyone knew the game, gives people reasons to watch.
Starcraft – An extremely popular, casual title.
Counter-strike – Became popular before it became ‘professional’. The public game is very similar to the competitive game, except for organisation levels.

Find me a game that is a popular eSport, that doesn’t / didn’t have a massive casual gaming scene for it, and isn’t just it’s own… niche genre.

I’ve spoken to a lot of casual TF2 players. The first question they ask when watching a 6v6 game is: ‘Why is nobody using unlocks?’. After explaining it to them (all the positives about vanilla style gameplay), I just get a, “Hmmm well that’s boring”, or just a general state of confusion as to why they aren’t allowed.

I bet if you went on the steam forums, to advertise infused vs epsilon or something, and put in the title, “Professional 6v6 match, blah blah blah, medic unlocks only”, over 50% of the next 50 posts would be asking / questioning / complaining about unlocks. People want to see, how the best players in the game, use the weapons and classes that they enjoy using… and there are very few public gamers who go on a server and only use vanilla weapons.

See this is the thing. Having no unlocks is fine… as long as that is what you want to play. The problem I’m finding, is that very few people actually want to play with this ruleset, except the top level players, and they want the game to grow and become a bigger eSport, which I think is impossible if the public game differs from the competitive one. The game is fine without unlocks, perfectly playable, reasonably balanced, and still fun for a lot of people, but it’s going to start dropping off a lot faster as the public game gets more and more alienated from the competitive one (which is happening because of additional unlocks). How do you think highlander is becoming (has become?) TF2’s most popular competitive mode? It certainly isn’t because of the player limit… it’s harder to get 9 people instead of just 6.

Key difference between SC2/CS and TF2: SC2 and CS don’t get new weapons every few weeks, they don’t get several units/guns changed every few weeks, and when they do it’s not without it being announced long in advance and it’s based on feedback from the top players or based off games played at the top level(usually, some exceptions).

Hell the last time the top players got to test new weapons Valve ignored most of it and added versions that weren’t tested (prime example: GRU).

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

I know it’s not completely related to the topic of this thread, but one point that seems to be overlooked about why highlander has exploded in popularity in the past year or so is because since TF2 became free to play and the subsequent influx of new players, the overall skill level once found on public servers with dedicated players (who may or may not have been interested in competitive) has dropped dramatically.

As a result, many have turned to highlander as they prefer the organisation and the somewhat higher skill level/team coordination that you just won’t get as much as before. Yes, pub servers always have been poor for teamwork etc. but it has gotten worse in the past year. Having new players is of course a good thing – it allows those who have played TF2 for years and yearn to keep playing at a level they enjoy more so than random or community pub servers.

It’s not always about unlock restrictions or class limits. Some people will have interest in 6v6 and some won’t – it’s as simple as that. What classes someone plays also a factor.

I do think however that the elitism and derogatory comments aimed at highlander doesn’t really help, although the same can be said about some ‘top’ or well known highlander players who are far from constructive about their views regarding 6v6. It’s a no-brainer there’s higher skill involved in 6v6, but we should be looking at ways of coordinating the two formats instead of isolating them.

Last edited by Russian Guyovich,

AcidReniX

But on the other hand, valve has listened to the community on a number of unlocks.

The equaliser and direct hit were both ideas that top level competitive players came up with. The idea was simple.

At the time, the soldier was considered underpowered. To fix this, competitive players suggested the following.

Players asked for a reward for getting airshots. Valve introduced the direct hit, with an airshot minicrit. Yes, it wasn’t exactly how people had imagined the weapon to be, but valve thought that they would make it easier to get airshots, but have a massive draw back in regards to splash damage.

Players asked for the soldier to have an escape route. They literally complained that scouts could run in, shoot people up, and then just jump away without a care in the world. Once a soldier was in the fight, they had to stay there. Someone suggested that the soldier has a melee weapon that makes them run faster when their health is lower. Valve came up with the drawbacks for it (not allowed to be healed). This again got shunned after release.

Valve fixed the FaN and Natasha based off competitive player’s feedback. Both still banned afterwards.

It’s no wonder valve will never listen to the competitive community again, regarding unlocks. They made a very valid attempt to do so and got shunned.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Just want to throw it out there that Mercyless created a SPUF thread about what was preventing people from coming into 6v6.

Unlocks were hardly every mentioned. Classes were a big thing (wtf is with all the people maining pyro) as were: Comp players are all elitest dicks.

The classes thing is not something we can fix (I will kill the first person who suggested CL 1) but I do think we could have a better relationship with both HL and pubs.

Get involved with the communities, maybe make our own. Either way unlocks did not seem to be that big at issue (I know one thread on one site doens’t help, but better than people’s one off’s etc)

Unlocks will not help the scene grow, if you want unlocks, cool, argue for them. But instead of blaming unlocks, fucking help. There are a 100 jobs you could be doing, even small stuff like not being a douche in pubs (I know who you are, as do you).

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 28 Next »