Forum

Unlocks panel

Created 30th June 2012 @ 12:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 28 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Not sure a 6v6 highlander is the way to go myself. People get attached to their soldier or scout buddies and I don’t think such a radical change would work out well either.

I’d suggest trying a mini league with US rules, first to 5 in 2 30 minute halves, and ESEA unlock rules. If it’s working for them then it might work for us huh?

That is this shizzle here:

All packs that come out during the season are automatically banned. Additionally, all sets are banned. If you complete one, intentionally or not, the punishment will be the same as using a banned weapon. The bans are as follows:

Soda Popper
Bonk
Mad Milk
Sandman
Atomizer
Wrap Assasin
Liberty Launcher
Cow Mangler
Batalions Backup
Concheror
Reserve Shooter
Disciplinary Action
Phlogistinator
Manmelter
Third Degree
Loch n Load
Splendid Screen
Ullapool Caber
Persian Persuader
Natascha
Brass Beast
Tomislav
Sandvich
Steak Sandvich
Family Business
Gloves of Running Urgently
Warrior’s Spirit
Fists of Steel
Eviction Notice
Holiday Punch
Pomson 6000
Wrangler
Short Circuit
Gunslinger
Eureka Effect
Vita-Saw
Solemn Vow
Sydney Sleeper
Machina
Jarate
Enforcer
Diamond Back
Spy-cicle

The class restrictions are:
2 Scouts
2 Soldiers
2 Pyros
1 Demoman
1 Heavy
1 Engineer
1 Medic
2 Snipers
2 Spy

I feel this list removes all of the seriously off putting weapons and leaves a lot of tactical variation to play around with. Sometimes less = more.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

I asked myself, why would you work from bottom up like that, but I guess we have to experiment a lot. The idea is neat, simple and fresh, certainly changing the way people would think about approaching certain (notabene completely new) situations. From your description, only one thing smells like uncertainty:Quoted from AcidReniX

– Teams can work on playing, and developing their own style, rather than having to play the game in the current format, with very little room for viable change.

Don’t you think that, over time, this setup’s evolution is bound to slow down and eventually settle on a snail-like speed, just like the usual 6v6 did?

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

Can you stop posting that list in every topic regarding unlocks, please?

Last edited by freshmeatt,

Monkeh

Quoted from freshmeatt

I asked myself, why would you work from bottom up like that, but I guess we have to experiment a lot.

I don’t see why we have to experiment when the US scene has been experimenting for us for years!

I will stop posting that list now…maybe. It is a good list though.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Regen

nf.
9F

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

I don’t see why we have to experiment when the US scene has been experimenting for us for years!

I will stop posting that list now…maybe. It is a good list though.

I quite agree with that, obviously it has been tested well and they have been playing with some unlocks for a while now and the game is still very interesting.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Class limit 1 was discussed in recent times in a post by Quad, but I can only imagine it would produce an even slower more methodical game.

“Oh my one scout is dead?” Capping spire is no longer a feasible option.
“Oh my one soldier is dead?” Defending spire is no longer a feasible option.
I would suggest that having class limit 2 actually provides more tactical flexibility and a more forgiving game.

Sure, I’m over simplifying but I don’t think it is hard to see that you are substituting two very versatile classes (1x sol 1x sco) for some combination of utility classes that are all but useless in a lot of common situations.

The dog in the street knows that frequently running snipers and heavies forces teams and their opponents to play a much more mechanical and methodical style. In fact have one less scout and soldier actually accentuates the power of the sniper/heavy, forcing you to run your own sniper/heavy (or spy if you like to gamble).

The current format is much more flexible, allowing you to maximise the utility of all the classes rather than arbitrarily force you to use them. The situations where classes are worth while are the situations we currently see them being deployed. Does that not make sense?

Ghostface

spire

Wait, yanks don’t have TDH banned?

Enef

fest
#wubafan

class limit one would eventually just devolve into heavy+pyro instead of soldier+scout

beach

[DA]
[DA]

I think Monkeh’s suggestion about having the mini ESEA-style season/cup would be great. So many people like to watch American TF2, both over in the US and in the EU…the ESEA LAN stream had like 2000+ people watching recently, so they must be doing something right. It’d be interesting to see if allowing some unlocks made the EU playstyle more exciting and quicker than our current system.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from Admirable

Class limit 1 was discussed in recent times in a post by Quad, but I can only imagine it would produce an even slower more methodical game.

“Oh my one scout is dead?” Capping spire is no longer a feasible option.
“Oh my one soldier is dead?” Defending spire is no longer a feasible option.
I would suggest that having class limit 2 actually provides more tactical flexibility and a more forgiving game.

Sure, I’m over simplifying but I don’t think it is hard to see that you are substituting two very versatile classes (1x sol 1x sco) for some combination of utility classes that are all but useless in a lot of common situations.

The dog in the street knows that frequently running snipers and heavies forces teams and their opponents to play a much more mechanical and methodical style. In fact have one less scout and soldier actually accentuates the power of the sniper/heavy, forcing you to run your own sniper/heavy (or spy if you like to gamble).

The current format is much more flexible, allowing you to maximise the utility of all the classes rather than arbitrarily force you to use them. The situations where classes are worth while are the situations we currently see them being deployed. Does that not make sense?

Hmm, I kind of disagree. The problem is, that soldiers and scouts are such good classes, that they make the others no longer viable for general gameplay, and turn them into situational classes that are still completely optional. In the event of it being class limit 1, you have to use additional classes, so you have to find uses for them. Additionally, because you have class limit 1, certain classes are going to be considerably more valuable in some situations over others. For example, capping spire as you mentioned, scouts and soldiers are going to be essential at this time, so teams should focus on either keeping these classes alive, or eliminating them if they are the other side of the coin.

The current system means that you can be reckless with these high value classes, because you have another one spare. In this format, focus doesn’t always need to be on the kill the enemy medic, as you might find it more beneficial to eliminate the high few high mobility classes that they are allowed.

You also would get some nice, hard-counter class wars going on.

Scouts going for snipers.
Spies going for heavys.
Pyros protecting from spies.
Engineers stopping scout backcaps.
Heavys stopping jumping soldiers.
Demomen…. er… *ahem*

Just theory of course. You are right in saying that the current system allows for a more forgiving game, it would, but then, wasn’t the equaliser banned because people thought that if a player makes a mistake and commits with a rocket jump, they shouldn’t be able to have a free escape mode? Some of the unlocks might balance this out.

However, with the vast number of combinations available (not everything will be viable), I’d rather just, try to see it in action (over attempting to predict things), see how people exploit all of these new options, and see how the game plays out, at all skill levels.

AcidReniX

Quoted from Enef

class limit one would eventually just devolve into heavy+pyro instead of soldier+scout

I’ll raise you a sniper, over your Pyro. Going to find it pretty hard to pressure a sniper when you only have 1 scout and 1 soldier, and if he’s not dealt with, he’s going to pick your medic, or your extremely slow moving Heavy ;)

Many viable combinations!

AcidReniX

Quoted from freshmeatt

I asked myself, why would you work from bottom up like that, but I guess we have to experiment a lot. The idea is neat, simple and fresh, certainly changing the way people would think about approaching certain (notabene completely new) situations. From your description, only one thing smells like uncertainty:[…]
Don’t you think that, over time, this setup’s evolution is bound to slow down and eventually settle on a snail-like speed, just like the usual 6v6 did?

[…]
Can you stop posting that list in every topic regarding unlocks, please?

It could very well slow down and be a much worse game than the current 6v6 setup, in fact, the removal of a couple of high mobility classes will no doubt slow the game down a little, but the use of some unlocks also can speed things up, so I’m hoping it wouldn’t be ‘too’ noticable.

I’m not even suggesting this as a replacement to the current 6v6 setup. I’m actually just curious to see how it plays out, as a ‘small side project’. Maybe a separate league with a maximum of 2 divisions so that people don’t just abandon the main 6v6 league (splitting things in two would be even worse than just leaving 6v6 how it is now).

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Holyshit, can we stop fucking discussing changing the rules like it will make a fucking difference to numbers.

It will do nothing, or kill tf2 faster. If you want to help…

You know what Ads said it better than I can:

Motherfuckers can’t see the wood for the trees?!

You speak of decline and point to unlocks because NA has them and we don’t. I’ll tell you what else NA has that we don’t; a motherfucking professional organisation supporting them – ESEA.

We have the ETF2-fucking-L twiddling their dicks for the past X years, keeping things ticking over with headsets and mice but no progress what so ever to speak of. ESEA are hosting LAN finals 3 times a year with a dedicated news source in ESEANews, brilliant features such automatic stats and demo uploads and a rule set that doesn’t promote turtling (sup timelimit 30).

We had a chance to support a serious organisation ESL, but we all fucking cried our eyes about the Wire client without really trying to help iron out teething problems. Well guess what? ESEA has a shitty client too, and they fucking pay for the privilege to use it!

Add to that a well run, motivated and professional casting outlet in eXtelevision and a thriving community of streamers and I have to strain to see exactly what the fuck an Escape Plan is going to do to turn the tides of EU TF2s perceived decline.

Jesus fucking Christ lads, wake up and smell the coffee.

I have no beef with ETF2L or their admins who spend countless hours making shit happen for no money, but I am just trying to give some motherfucking perspective to this “debate”.

Please read in Irish accent for full effect.

Get some fucking streams up, support LANs, help with newbie mixes, then if that all goes super well, get on our hands and knees and beg ESL to give us one more chance, we swear it won’t happen again.

ouizzeul

BnR!

For the class limit 1. There’s a 7v7 league that wireplay runs for years.

It’s fun and versatile.

From what i remember from my season there a lots of custom map, ctf/koth. Pretty difficult to master since you don’t know what you’re gonna face, so that add randomness to the game, and random is bad for competitive gaming.

Phrozen

?

Quoted from CrashSite

Get some fucking streams up, support LANs, help with newbie mixes, then if that all goes super well, get on our hands and knees and beg ESL to give us one more chance, we swear it won’t happen again.

TL;DR FOR CRASHSITE’S POST GUYSSS

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Quoted from Phrozen

[…]

TL;DR FOR CRASHSITE’S POST GUYSSSHHH

sorted

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 28 Next »