Unlocks panel

Created 30th June 2012 @ 12:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 27 28

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Quoted from Vali

[…]

We’re talking how to bolster etf2l signups, why would it not be region specific?

And yeah Phrozen, I was just counting teams that hadn’t already dropped but if we’re talking in signups then ~80 is closer to the truth. The point is still it’s far below what etf2l achieves and that’s the example I was using in my original bit.

I meant UGC region -.-

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Play the game, have fun, stop arguing the merits of this or that and have a lovely united fucking community.

Want unlocks? Play Highlander.

Don’t want unlocks? Play 6v6.

Don’t want medlocks? Why’d you wanna make a boring class even less fun?

People always want to keep trying to fix TF2’s problems… putting in some unlocks won’t solve the big problems with this game that stop it being as popular as other video games. An unlock panel sounds like the unlock testing team in UGC, for Highlander we have pretty much agreed to use their banning policies because they have this implemented.

For 6v6….well it is a shame Wireplay went all Vanilla, was a better league when they allowed unlocks then we could beat Vertex using gunboats and watch people cry over it even though it was adament they got completely outplayed. Only unlock that really, really had a big impact on the game was the Gunslinger, when that started to be run regulary I think it was enough for the Prem teams.

Mercyless

ORACLE

Quoted from Hildreth

Play the game, have fun, stop arguing the merits of this or that and have a lovely united fucking community.

Want unlocks? Play Highlander.

Don’t want unlocks? Play 6v6.

Don’t want medlocks? Why’d you wanna make a boring class even less fun?

People always want to keep trying to fix TF2’s problems… putting in some unlocks won’t solve the big problems with this game that stop it being as popular as other video games. An unlock panel sounds like the unlock testing team in UGC, for Highlander we have pretty much agreed to use their banning policies because they have this implemented.

For 6v6….well it is a shame Wireplay went all Vanilla, was a better league when they allowed unlocks then we could beat Vertex using gunboats and watch people cry over it even though it was adament they got completely outplayed. Only unlock that really, really had a big impact on the game was the Gunslinger, when that started to be run regulary I think it was enough for the Prem teams.

No, because highlander is a terrible terrible game mode that isn’t fun (for me)

And most of us don’t want to allow unlocks to “MAKE THE GAME POPULAR” we just want them because they make the game slightly more fun, and fresh.

Also I don’t see what is your point when you say “When could beat Vertex with gunboats” Are you implying that they’d beat you if your roamer is using shotgun but you’d beat them if you he was using gunboats? yeah right

Quoted from Mercyless

[…]
Also I don’t see what is your point when you say “When could beat Vertex with gunboats” Are you implying that they’d beat you if your roamer is using shotgun but you’d beat them if you he was using gunboats? yeah right

He means that he got the impression we blamed them having gunboats as the reason for winning, and that we thought we would’ve won if they didn’t use gunboats. Neither is true, but given Pledge’s reaction at the time I can see why he thinks/thought that. :D

TheNomad

Banana's

Before saying anything else I must admit that I didn’t read more than around six pages before posting this.

I’m a fairly new player in the EFT2L, playing mostly div5 scrims at the moment as medic.

I like the idea of unlocks because I love spectating games as much as I love playing them, and I feel like there’s a lot of low-skill players that feel the same way. Having played starcraft2 for quite some time, no unlocks would be comparable to everyone playing terran, all the time, and not allowed to decide what upgrades to invest in at what times.

The interesting part about unlocks in my opinion is that they add a ? factor to the game, a FaN scout on gravelpit that jumps on top of the roof on b, a wrangler engineer that jumps his sentry up to some silly spot, midfights with more average HP because of critheals and the escape plan, and soldiers making amazing escapes because of it. These are all things that add to the diversity and intensity of the game and makes it both a lot more fun to spectate and also a lot easier to cast in a interesting way.

I’m not saying that I’m even remotely knowledgeable enough to understand what the full effect would be on the comp scene, but I do believe that it would make it more interesting for a potential crowd of fans, and if there are lots of fans for the prem teams, there’ll be more sponsors, more people interested in making cups with prices and what not. Win win!

:)

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

He means that he got the impression we blamed them having gunboats as the reason for winning, and that we thought we would’ve won if they didn’t use gunboats. Neither is true, but given Pledge’s reaction at the time I can see why he thinks/thought that. :D

That was a fun game.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from TheNomad

Having played starcraft2 for quite some time, no unlocks would be comparable to everyone playing terran, all the time, and not allowed to decide what upgrades to invest in at what times.

We have classes? And kritz/uber? And utility classes for picks etc? Everybody playing Terran would equate to all playing soldier.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from TheNomad

Having played starcraft2 for quite some time, no unlocks would be comparable to everyone playing terran, all the time, and not allowed to decide what upgrades to invest in at what times.

consider these 2 factors:
a) those upgrades have been in for pretty much the entire lifespan of its game (ofc with HOTS shit’s gonna hit the fan)
b) the game has been balanced around the PRO level and is still being balanced around them. No one even bothers to suggest that “bronzies” should have a say in balance debates.
I can see what you mean with the diversity thingy and planning strats (yay 1-1-1 all in fags) but then imagine what GMs would say if suddenly a bunch of upgrades were put in for all 3 races that just completely throw balance out of the window.

FIR

SnG

Quoted from Waebi

[…]

yay 1-1-1 all in fags

lol inb4 terran OP

TheNomad

Banana's

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

We have classes? And kritz/uber? And utility classes for picks etc? Everybody playing Terran would equate to all playing soldier.

medivacs is da medic, stim is kritz, ghost is sniper, marauders are soldiers! :P

I didn’t mean my post to be about my comparison to sc2 specifically, it’s not really significant. I’m just saying that adding more options and varity will always make it more enjoyable to watch from a spectator standpoint, especially if you’re not invested enough to understand the finer points of balance. I realize SC2 and TF2 are not compareable, but yeah.

Tawks

I didnt read the whole thread, but I’d still like to post my opinion.
I’m aware that unlocks can change the whole system of competitive TF2.
But the question is, would such a change be good or bad for the scene. Since tons of threads and pages, posts from higher division and lower division dont come to a final answer, why dont we just set up some “Unlock Cups” like the Quickfix Cup. That would give many people from higher and lower divs a chance to discuss about the experience with the unlocks. How can we judge a weapons ability for competitive league by just talking about the weapons stats instead of trying them out. We could set those cups up between the seasons. In one night we could test for example Boston Basher, Scout’s milk, tomislav and what the hell do I know. But working on such an idea might finally end the infinite amount of argueing about unlocks.

At the end, I have to say that I would love to see some little changes :) I think it would be fine for everybody who really wants to think out some new tactics, try out something new. But of course, there are always some old bunnies in the league who would rather burn themselfs instead of even giving it a try.

So PEACE, ON THE STREET, SAN

envy

Quoted from Tawks

“Unlock Cups” like the Quickfix Cup

“One-night-cups” are bad. Like very bad and useless. Maybe fun and shit, but still useless. Nobody used QF in QF cup, nobody used unlocks of Saffron cup, basically because 1-2 maps (def win + 8 min roll anyone?) are not enough to try out some unlock combinations (bb + gunboats + ep/eq + overdose, for instance). The only way is to stop being pussies/tryhards, stop shouting how much you love vanilla and SKILL CEILING, and play full season with limited amount of highly balanced (har har) unlocks.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

or have ladder

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 27 28