Forum

Please ETF2L, PLEASE reconsider the new unlock rules

Created 3rd October 2010 @ 21:20

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13 ... 18 Next »

Norris

I was under the impression that the Running Gloves were exactly what the Community wanted in the beta days. Wasn’t it forced by the div1 beta stars? If so how can we still ban this weapon if Valve made all their way down to add it to the game. Something that WE wanted to have so badly? Doubt they are going to listen in the future if they see that this addition is still ending up getting banned here. Ofc it’s close to the new season but the weapon already got tested in the beta a while back and we still have time to test it for about two weeks!!? Fuck knows when Season 9 is going to start, don’t let the heavy suffer for another year (considering his natasha got banned here as well now)!

dunc

infs
dp.

I wish people would stop blaming D1 for things we’ve had *fuck all* to do with :)

D1 have had ZERO input in the unlock allowances for ETF2L. I think you’ll find most of us are proponents for vanilla+medlock, not these mixed unlock rules which breed this kind of post: “omg why X unlock but not Y unlock?”.

The GRU were in the beta, but they’ve changed. They’ve been triply buffed, if you take into account (accord, hai2u xzar) the fact that the heavy now has quicker spin up/down times. I think they’ll be OP, personally. A heavy is already an incredibly difficult force to compete with if the team uses the class properly. With the GRU it just becomes ridiculous. 750HP worth of heavy classes on CP3 about 3 seconds after the demomen arrive? Sounds like an unlock that will FORCE an opposition team to counter it. Fair? Nah. Balanced? Nah. Fun? Sure!

Foresight, my friends.

Norris

Thanks for the reply here dunc :)! I was under the my impression that the comments about the Gloves were all good back then. I had no idea that it has changed. The demoman might have to deal with a heavy class in the mid but who says that he doesn’t have to? Was it any different in the beta:)? Don’t get me wrong I really would like to see this class getting more used for the greater good. the more useful classes – the more excitement.

Darn

rockit like

Quoted from Norris

Thanks for the reply here dunc :)! I was under the my impression that the comments about the Gloves were all good back then. I had no idea that it has changed. The demoman might have to deal with a heavy class in the mid but who says that he doesn’t have to? Was it any different in the beta:)? Don’t get me wrong I really would like to see this class getting more used for the greater good. the more useful classes – the more excitement.

The european div1 side had pretty much nothing to do with the beta project. It was Mainly random yanks wanting scout to have a haste banner just because quake has haste.

dunc

infs
dp.

Unfortunately, there were very few matches played with the heavy and those gloves. One, maybe two that I can remember. Maybe someone else from the beta can shed some light on it.

You’re completely right, I’d *love* to see the heavy used more often in competitive play, it’s a fantastic class that brings stability and rigidity to a lineup.

The problem seems to be that getting the balance right is very, very difficult. The heavy suits certain environments more than a soldier (defending, attacking with uber in specific environments, certain CP3s such as Well where the heavy can arrive at the same time etc.) and that’s how things stand pre-GRU. If you then add in gloves which make him run as fast as a pyro whilst being able to charge uber, you’ve got a complete replacement for the soldier. I can think of 0 environments where I’d rather have 2 soldiers than 1 soldier and a GRU heavy.

Some people will say that’s fantastic, but they wouldn’t really be looking at the overriding effect on gameplay. Having the heavy class so powerful forces the opposition team to counter it, and that isn’t the way TF2 should be played. The second a team is forced into playing a different game or forced into countering a specific class, it’s my opinion that said class is imbalanced and probably shouldn’t be allowed into competitive play.

I don’t know what to do with the heavy, but I do think (note: think, I haven’t played him enough to back my thoughts up, though I do have the GRUs now and will be playtesting them) that the GRU unlock is just a little bit *too* much, tipping the heavy over the balance line. He’s slightly underpowered at the moment, but I suspect too overpowered with the GRU.

dunc

infs
dp.

Quoted from Darn

[…]

The european div1 side had pretty much nothing to do with the beta project. It was Mainly random yanks wanting scout to have a haste banner just because quake has haste.

Yeah, this.

And once Fragga got in there, holy fucking christ, it just got derailed to shit with some of the most ridiculous suggestions I’ve ever heard. Regenning rocket launchers and stuff, LOL as if they’d ever implement that.

Oh, wait…

kurt

trick17
trick17

Just remove the ability to be healed while wearing the gloves. That way he will probably still arrive with 450 hp on mid but he can’t follow the medic and build charge or be even ubered while wearing them and run straight into the enemies. That should do the trick.

crzfst

Quoted from kurt

Just remove the ability to be healed while wearing the gloves. That way he will probably still arrive with 450 hp on mid but he can’t follow the medic and build charge or be even ubered while wearing them and run straight into the enemies. That should do the trick.

Another equalizer…

dunc

infs
dp.

I doubt that would work.

Say 10 seconds to Granary CP3 @ pyro speed; that’s 240HP.

Medic would need to heal 210HP @ 24HP/s (as the heavy recently took damage).

Heavy would have to wait the same length of time it would’ve taken him to get there without the gloves to get into CP3 on 450HP. Would be better off not running the GRU; at least then the medic could just buff the heavy quickly as he got into CP3, rather than having to heal him for 9 seconds straight.

kurt

trick17
trick17

That’s why I brought it up. This way you don’t always have a fully buffed around yet he is able to follow or catch up to your team after respawn in a reasonable time.

Last edited by kurt,

dunc

infs
dp.

Oh, are you suggesting removing the damage/second too?

Yeah, that’s another equalizer, and really doesn’t make the heavy any less powerful.

One option could be to remove 75HP of the heavy’s buff if he has the gloves equipped. Yet again though, we could spend hours discussing every single unlock to its death, and trying to balance it for varying levels of play.

Or we could just play the tried, tested and incredible vanilla+medlock format :)

Last edited by dunc,

flix

n2o

Quoted from dunc

Or we could just play the tried, tested and incredible vanilla+medlock format :)

+1

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Make the gloves charge based. 5 seconds of speed, boink recharge times. Should be a decent compromise between the current situation and the old situation. Would even bring in some skill in deploying it in situations beyond mid fights. Some buff changes might also do it, but not to much. 50hp tops should be ok.

Last edited by Koeitje,

dunc

infs
dp.

Yeah Koe, good plan.

Now we just need to look at all the other unlocks, give feedback and watch Valve completely ignore it because we’re not playing Highlander format :D

infussle

people cant adapt to valve adding 3 new weapons at a time, so they add 30.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13 ... 18 Next »