Forum

Seemingly warped skill level system..

Created 10th December 2010 @ 14:09

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 10 Next »

Martn

Especially when some respected guy goes skill police and rates you below the div you like to play, no higher div team will recruit you then.

Honestly, dont skill police, let the teams that trial you find out that you are not really that div you aimed for.

Last edited by Martn,

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from rtan

should teams actually give some lower division players a chance when they are recruiting?

The problem comes when you’re trying to work out who to give the opportunity to. When I started searching for a scout I said we’d give players without experience a try and as a result got roughly 20 people asking for trials.

The people who will get the opportunities are the ones who get recommended by a higher division player I think. We simply didn’t have the time to trial 20 odd players especially when a good number of them barely use comms, something you can’t know until you trial them.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

The problem is that for every talented player there are 10 who aren’t. Teams don’t have the time to trial all of these to cherry pick the ones that have potential.

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Koeitje

The problem is that for every talented player there are 10 who aren’t. Teams don’t have the time to trial all of these to cherry pick the ones that have potential.

Beat you to it :P

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from rtan

You’re all right and I understand where you’re all coming from. So, should teams actually give some lower division players a chance when they are recruiting? Or limit it to div3 xp and above. But then some people have to admit a “division 6” player is better than them..

People should always be given the chance, who knows that div6 shitnerd could be the games next big thing if given the chance to prove himself.

ouch

If your team isn’t recruiting mid season you should have the time to trial some underdogs as well.

Last edited by ouch,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Norrlaaaningen is special, he has been shown how does d2 play look like and took a lesson. It’s not like everyone can do that, he wanted, he made it, most people just want to be better than they are (or in worse case, they pretend to be), but when it comes to commitment, they are meh’ing all around.

Also, yes, it’s teams that skill system applies to, not players. That’s why you should have trials and team-based mentee system.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from ouch

If your team isn’t recruiting mid season you should have the time to trial some underdogs as well.

Why would we people do that? You need all the practice you can get. We hardly play together these days, so when should we trial these guys? And who should we kick out if they are any good? Best place for unknowns to show their skills are in mixes.

Last edited by Koeitje,

byte

Quoted from rtan

Fair enough, it just seems to me (it might just be me though) there is a certain arrogance from some players that see themselves as far better than others.

Welcome to Mankind and his penis.

Cheers

Byte

ouch

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Why would we people do that? You need all the practice you can get. We hardly play together these days, so when should we trial these guys? And who should we kick out if they are any good? Best place for unknowns to show their skills are in mixes.

It’s not my intention to say that you should trial unknowns, I just said you should have the time to do so (If you don’t you don’t). It’s up to the team I ‘spose just like kicking the weaker.

Anyway, I’m interested in any mix there is but seeing nearly all pickupchannels are dead nowadays I don’t know where to go to get my daily TF2-experience.

edit: I understand that there is a need for new or maybe underrated players to get up the div ladder but in the end it’s up to the teams and I don’t blame them at all for recruiting experienced player first.

Last edited by ouch,

kuma

Pretty much agree mate. In a 6v6 setting I do well vs lower div scouts, however I do get schooled now and then in dm and aim. If those scouts with potential could apply their aim better in a 6v6 setting that’s just what would make them a higher div player.

I could probably have pushed up the divs earlier if higher teams gave me a chance, however mostly I had to stay for some time in a less challenging div just to get the “experience” to be considered (which was fine, because I enjoyed playing with those teams). Even then it wasn’t enough, as I had to create my own team to play. “Gamesense-wise”, it’s only really now playing vs div 1/2 teams that I feel like I’m learning anything new.

However, now I’m at the higher end of the divisions I can see it from the other perspective too. We are a relatively new team, so we need players to adapt quick. We can’t really afford the luxury of spending months teaching players with the team. That’s why I look for players who I know and have played with mostly, it takes weeks to give an unknown player a trial and we don’t have that much time.

That’s why it’s mostly reputation and knowing the right people to recommend you which pushes you up fast, rather than your actual skill. The only person I’ve known push up with pretty much skill alone is Hat, and he’s my idol. Without either reputation or contacts, only your “experience playing div x” says anything before actually trying them.

It’s also much harder now to move up than say 3-4 seasons ago, because there are a lot more players. There’s an established “clique” at the very top, and it takes something legendary to get accepted if you aren’t part of that. The only example I can think of recently is kaidus.

Last edited by kuma,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Everybody already knew what Kaidus could do though, there just wasn’t a slot available. But Looper becoming a dad and empathy folding opened a slot.

kuma

Yeah that’s kind of what I mean. More people playing, more people getting good, but limited spots in the top divisions. It takes an almost lucky set of circumstances to get in a prem team without moving up there as a team.

The last influx of prem players did pretty much that (broder, mister).

Last edited by kuma,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

So bottom-line: play together, get good?

Orchid

|=3

TL;DR

This is the monthly “whine-about-skill” thread!
/thread

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 10 Next »