Forum

Seemingly warped skill level system..

Created 10th December 2010 @ 14:09

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »

rtan

-9w-

This is something that has been bugging me for a while. We have all these different skill levels (division 6, division 5, division 4, division 3, division 2, division 1 and prem) mapped out, everyone “fits” into one. But is division 4 aim really different to division 1/2 aim? Yeah, we may have a slight (edit: big) difference in experience and general gamesense, but nothing that can’t be learnt in a week or two, right? I can hear your guffawing laughter already.. but hear me out.

Recently red eyed jedis tryhard recruited two scouts, wondershowzen and norrlaaaningen, now these guys came from division 6 and division 4 respectively. How have they faired? Well, apart from the odd hiccup, these guys have pretty much shat on all these “experienced” and “div2” scouts. Now this confirmed my thoughts, there really isn’t much difference. Are these skill brackets actually just keeping the “good” players at the top? I’ve played against a mixture of scouts for div6 – prem/div1 – now granted some players are absolutely garbage, but I’ve noticed there’s some absolute gem players down in the lower divisions, players that are a lot better than some of their higher division counterparts.

The only reason they are not moving forward is what everyone tells them to do, which is “stay with your team, move up the divisions together.” That may have worked in season 1/2/3 but does it actually work anymore? Sure we have O’Rly blasting up to division 1 from division 5 in a couple of seasons but anyone else? Do they actually improve individually playing with the same people every week and struggling away in division 5? I jumped straight into division 4 as a scout and I didn’t have any trouble, I then made the jump from there to high div3/2 in a matter of weeks. I guess my point is people read way too much into the skill brackets (that may have been lost as I babbled incoherent shite). So, should we start giving lower division players a chance and teach them tf2 “basics”? Or are people going to keep shunning the lower division players down so they themselves can keep thinking that they are better?

Discuss!

ilike2spin

RLM

Division levels works for teams better than players, its very hard to recruit players from a ‘higher div’ if your team is in a ‘lower div’ and equally difficult to get into a ‘higher div’ team if you’re a ‘lower div’ player. Imo there is no accurate skill level for people who haven’t been tried and tested in higher divisions and filtered downwards to the one they fit in.

But… you can’t increment your integers in values greater than 1! Everyone knows that.

rtan

-9w-

Fair enough, it just seems to me (it might just be me though) there is a certain arrogance from some players that see themselves as far better than others.

Spike Himself

TC

A team enters the league in div X and gets promoted to div Y by winning X. Then they can win div Y and get promoted to div Z, or they could fail to do so and get stuck in div Y. That would then be that team’s skill level.
And that is how a league works.

You can’t tag a div on a player – a player can only be as good as the team he is playing in.
Put a div1 medic in a div6 team and they might become a top div5 team because of better main calling. Perhaps they already had top div5 aim, but their positioning simply sucked (or whatever).

No, I have no idea what my point is either.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

MEGAMIDDIE

I don’t think it’s a case of doing what everyone tells them to do. I think it’s more that people want to stay in their current teams because their current ones are full of people they know, like and enjoy playing with.

Orchid

|=3

For as long as i`ve been around, there been the “high-skilled-douche-bags”.
Just talked about it with Tay, and the problem with some of the upper-divison players is that they bash on the lower divisions : “I`m better, ur a nab, gtfo queer!”
Same goes with trials, A lot of div4/3 teams will prolly never accept a div6 trialists, just because he is div6. Its just how it is, and I srsly doubt that its gonna change in the nearest future.
I just jumped to “imagenary divsion 4”, after playing half a season in div5, just because I teamed up with Waebi!

RaCio

GoT²

From my experience it’s teams that have different skill levels, not players. So a div4 teams is different from a div3 team, but some people in the div4 team could probably handle themselves very well in a div3 team.

I think the biggest problem is teams who go “Dont add me if you don’t have top div3 experience” which shows a warped opionon of skill.

trams

-><-

Discuss what? Of course a div5 player can make it in div2 and a div2 player can be as bad as his teammates in div5, thats the charm with tf2, its your team that decides your skill level.
And because of that the chemistry in the team must be right, or you gonna “fail”.

6 hypothetic div2 players doesnt make a div2 team.

ouch

TF2 got many nice highskilled players ready to teach and help lower division teams/players. Thats a big plus! But hey, many mentored teams are still struggeling in div5/4 for no good reason. Why?

Maybe it is easier to learn the metagame while playing within a higher skilled team for a while. It is much easier to adapt general tactics, communication and “workflow” during matches instead of pure information you get from discussions. Or am I wrong?

dauk

Well you mister as a scout may not notice it, but me as a demolition person see’s the difference between div5 and 2 scouts. You think its about aim, me say you it is a lot to do about movement. Me says it is sometimes impossible to hit good dodging scout person when he moves like he had bees in his pants. Also scout persons do not require (please!) GREEEEEEEEATE game sensitivity or team job. Me team has seduced div6 soldier person and he can hit but the mister is dumb as a bucket. My great story comes to that aim is easier to improve that movement.

OR

Scouts are just joke to play.

Orchid

|=3

Imo the mentoring should be totally different. A lot more harder – They actual mentors should not teach the whole team “how to play”, but mix with each individual, to see where he fails and why.

Monkeh

.:ne:.

I think teams are littered with players that have made a jump up divisions, (Hi Buffalo Bill and Kuma!), and I think it is very much a fact that many lower div players have the skills to play higher, just not the experience in terms of teamwork and positioning etc.

The only way to get that experience is ofc to play at a higher level with higher level players, but very few teams will give lower div players a chance… Therein lies the problem. The teams that do give the lower players a chance, like with Buffalo Bill, Kuma and the guys you mentioned, will reap the benefits, the rest will not, simples. Their loss.

I feel I could probably play at a higher level than I am, but, I’m playing with people I enjoy playing with and having a really nice time whilst doing it. If we move up the divisions then great, if not, then so be it.

For me, what div I play in is pretty insignificant. Did I have fun playing comp TF2 is the question that’s important to me, and at the moment, hell yeah, havin’ a blast :)

rtan

-9w-

You’re all right and I understand where you’re all coming from. So, should teams actually give some lower division players a chance when they are recruiting? Or limit it to div3 xp and above. But then some people have to admit a “division 6” player is better than them..

Monkeh

Absolutely yes! What’s the worst that could happen? The dreaded ego bash can be a good thing. Some people can accept when they do something wrong or get outskilled…..some people cant. Play with people who can.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »