Forum

ETF2L S16 Ruleset Feedback

Created 9th September 2013 @ 20:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 13 Next »

accless

cp_

Quoted from AnimaL

You better tell me why ETF2L still has no divided whitelists for top divs and low divs where you could litteraly be a pubber… Say div6 fun division each season where all unlocks are allowed…

Because that is counter-productive and a league experience should never be two-tiered. It’d create a(n even bigger) chasm between lower and higher divisions.
The stock weapons are used because they are consistently the best weapons overall. Hell, the sticky launcher centers almost the entire 6s gameplay around it. If we talk unlocks, don’t throw the Wrangler around. Consider the unlocks that simply swap some stats around, the Blackbox, Direct Hit, Force of Nature, Scottish Resistance, Degreaser, Tomislav etc. I’m not saying these are already fit to put in but I doubt that these weapons on their own will outright break the game.

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Quoted from accless

[…]

Because that is counter-productive and a league experience should never be two-tiered. It’d create a(n even bigger) chasm between lower and higher divisions.
The stock weapons are used because they are consistently the best weapons overall. Hell, the sticky launcher centers almost the entire 6s gameplay around it. If we talk unlocks, don’t throw the Wrangler around. Consider the unlocks that simply swap some stats around, the Blackbox, Direct Hit, Force of Nature, Scottish Resistance, Degreaser, Tomislav etc. I’m not saying these are already fit to put in but I doubt that these weapons on their own will outright break the game.

But why consider? What do these weapons add to the game apart from making the game slighty or a lot more random in case they’re all viable?

crouton

LEGO

Quoted from Trane

If double engy/double sniper isn’t truly seen as a problem, then why do people care if

a) it isn’t banned
b) it is banned

It’s just completely inconsequential. Hatters gonna hat.

??????????????

Are you severely confused? By your logic you’d ban everything ever just because they’re not a problem.

I for one really running to mid in TF2, but I don’t think it’s a problem so I guess I don’t care if it’s banned or not.

Also, wtclasslimits? How many prem games have been detrimentally affected by 2 sniper/engi.

Last edited by crouton,

accless

cp_

But why consider? What do these weapons add to the game apart from making the game slighty or a lot more random in case they’re all viable?

Just theorising here but with the named examples:

-the Direct Hit would would be effective during a push against a Heavy or Sentry. Increased damage and nigh impossible to dodge for a spun up heavy. No splash damage as a trade off.
-Degreaser (plus flare gun, mebbe) might allow the pyro to go a bit beyond ‘get picked on last while you have an uber disadvantage, then get in the way. Keep M2 pressed.’
– FaN allows for that nifty Gully-Last play where you knock that one guy off the point and go for a backcamp attempt. Generally seems like a good weapon to keep high ground. Not so good in 1v1 fights.
…This is getting too long but I think these weapons would allow for some intriguing alternatives when considering a push or holding a point.

Last edited by accless,

Monkeh

.:ne:.

My problem with a lot of the unlocks is the guessing game that will come. Is the enemy scout coming with a FAN this round, cuz if he is then I need to play differently. Will we have to face a GRU heavy this round, mebbe I go DH to counter…oh, no, 2 sollies.

It’s guessing. It’s not skill. It’s random, like rock/scissors/paper. It’s not competitive gaming, it’s fun gaming in a competitive environment. 2 VERY different things.

Trane

Quoted from crouton

[…]
??????????????

Are you severely confused? By your logic you’d ban everything ever just because they’re not a problem.

I for one really running to mid in TF2, but I don’t think it’s a problem so I guess I don’t care if it’s banned or not.

Also, wtclasslimits? How many prem games have been detrimentally affected by 2 sniper/engi.

I am not confused, but it appears you are. The logic I applied was that if an issue seldom arises and has little impact on the outcome of a match, then it doesn’t really matter whether the opportunity for it to manifest itself exists or not. I think Permzilla did a perfectly good job of explaining why they felt it was necessary in the comments under the newspost, it can be abused in a minority of cases – leading to a stalemate or a slight disadvantage to the more positive team, against the ‘spirit of the game’, if you will.

Your second sentence makes about as much sense as The Jabberwocky.

Prem games =/= all games. While I agree that rules benefitting prem games should take marginal precedent, they are not the only games affected by the ruleset. In any case, this rule can only benefit prem games as a spectacle. Nobody wants to see quick-fix debacles or failed last push after failed last push.

Monkeh

Dat slithy tove twas brillig, mimsy and borogrove.
Gyring and gimballing through the wabe.
Shame about the mome raths though, they went all outgrabe.

accless

cp_

Quoted from Monkeh

My problem with a lot of the unlocks is the guessing game that will come. Is the enemy scout coming with a FAN this round, cuz if he is then I need to play differently. Will we have to face a GRU heavy this round, mebbe I go DH to counter…oh, no, 2 sollies.

It’s guessing. It’s not skill. It’s random, like rock/scissors/paper. It’s not competitive gaming, it’s fun gaming in a competitive environment. 2 VERY different things.

Most weapons are designed in a way that they are immediately obvious, be it colour scheme, silhoutte or sound.
The GRU are a tough unlock because they flatout eliminate the heavy’s primary weakness, his immobility.

I wrote a huge Paragraph about the FaN and then realised it’s all just theory. So instead I’ll just ask in what way the FaN makes you reconsider fighting a Scout.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Monkeh

Dat slithy tove twas brillig, mimsy and borogrove.
Gyring and gimballing through the wabe.
Shame about the mome raths though, they went all outgrabe.

what just happened

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from accless

[…]

Most weapons are designed in a way that they are immediately obvious, be it colour scheme, silhoutte or sound.

During the rollout you are on the other side of the map. How do you tell any of these things? :)

accless

cp_

what just happened

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
He chortled in his joy.

Trane

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

what just happened

See my most recent post for an idea.

accless

cp_

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

During the rollout you are on the other side of the map. How do you tell any of these things? :)

Same way you tell Kritz? There’s no danger in a one-shot weapon. You’ll see a Force of Nature or hear it. You’ll see a Concheror, a Blackbox or a Direct hit. You’ll hear them the second someone jumps with them or attacks you. Not seeing them won’t be as big of an issue as it would be with Kritz. The DH/Blackbox/FaN and so forth are still Rocket Launchers and Scatter Guns and situational at that. If you opt to run them instead of your more consistent stock weapon, you’re at a disadvantage on mid.

tl;dr: Nobody will call a Black Box Soldier and then be confused as to what to do.

Last edited by accless,

Monkeh

Best poem ever:

JABBERWOCKY

Lewis Carroll

(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought —
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!’
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

OT: Unlocks add guessing games. Guessing games do not equate to skill. Competitive gaming is about skill.

Also, where’s my medic avatar please Accless?

Last edited by Monkeh,

accless

cp_

OT: Unlocks add guessing games. Guessing games do not equate to skill. Competitive gaming is about skill.

Poker, Competitive TCGs, Fog of War etc.
Consider them variables. Calculating variables is a skill and considering what I said earlier it is not a guessing game. Picking a situational unlock will give you an advantage in specific situations. Choosing them is a tactical choice that can enrich gameplay.

Also, where’s my medic avatar please Accless?

skjfdhskughdgndlkfghdkfgnON IT

EDIT: Done

Last edited by accless,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 13 Next »