Forum

Ask Fish - Help needed!

Created 11th October 2011 @ 20:49

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Fish 2 questions.

First off, I felt a lump around my testicles what should I do?

Secondly, do you ever pop out the needles in fights when you’re not alone, say apart from defending yourself on occasions when necessary, do you ever think it is worth going battle medic?

hans

Quoted from grimbar

If only there was a causal link between division and mental arithmetics.

The Peano axioms would have been a better example, but I wasn’t sure you’d get it then.

Let’s stop this here please, this thread is about what Fish should write in his article, so whatever explanations you may or may not have given and whether or not they are good ones is totally irrelevant.

grimbar

Quoted from hans

[…]

The Peano axioms would have been a better example, but I wasn’t sure you’d get it then.

Let’s stop this here please, this thread is about what Fish should write in his article, so whatever explanations you may or may not have given and whether or not they are good ones is totally irrelevant.

Fancy try at taking the high route all of a sudden, anyway to add to the topic:

How do you deal with a negative feedback cycle in team morale?

Dummy

Quoted from grimbar

[…]

Fancy try at taking the high route all of a sudden, anyway to add to the topic:

How do you deal with a negative feedback cycle in team morale?

What is this, grimbar is mad again :D?
Nothing new, move along citizen

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Hildreth

Secondly, do you ever pop out the needles in fights when you’re not alone, say apart from defending yourself on occasions when necessary, do you ever think it is worth going battle medic?

Only if you’re an -AsS- medic!

(On a more serious note: min syringe dps = 50/s, min medigun hps = 24/s, max syringe dps 150/s, max medigun hps = 72/s. In other words, if your needles are good, it’s definitely worth going battle medic in some situations)

If you want a “simple” tip on how to keep track of ubers, something that I’ve been doing ever since I took this walking dispenser class seriously, is to comprehend and call your own ubercharge in terms of seconds instead of %. For me it really helped to disregard the whole percentage thing and see it all as a matter of timing. Keeping track of enemy uber and figuring out the advantage times become a near automatic thing. Also, an added advantage in my opinion is that your team gets to hear WHEN you will have uber, instead of a way more abstract percentage. Your team is already too busy doing damage, don’t make them do extra head-math by calling your uber in %.

I think doing “just” the subtraction thing is not sufficient; you’re skipping too much steps. The approach that grimbar and Vanilla were touching on in their posts come from a more fundamental perspective, resulting in actual comprehension instead of just doing something because someone instructed you to do it.

antyjc

2ne1

Quoted from skeej

[…]

(On a more serious note: min syringe dps = 50/s, min medigun hps = 24/s, max syringe dps 150/s, max medigun hps = 72/s. In other words, if your needles are good, it’s definitely worth going battle medic in some situations)

Is that not assuming that you hit some needles at all? I only really pull needles if the guy i’m healing looks like he wont kill the enemy, and i know they are already weak. Ubersaws look much cooler anyway, so just go for them regardless of the fact you will probably die, when you do get a kill with it it is much nicer and you can pretend to be like Taimou.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from skeej

[…]

-AsS- representing xD

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from antyjc

[…]

Is that not assuming that you hit some needles at all? I only really pull needles if the guy i’m healing looks like he wont kill the enemy, and i know they are already weak. Ubersaws look much cooler anyway, so just go for them regardless of the fact you will probably die, when you do get a kill with it it is much nicer and you can pretend to be like Taimou.

Kill someone with ubersaw, get killed 2 seconds after, youtube it with a quick fade to black before you die xDDD

And yes of course, those are only the “best case scenario” values, that’s why I said ” if your needles are good” it’s worth it “in some situations”. The scenario that you pose is one of the most often encountered yeah, like for instance, being with your demo and him just having hit a pipe on a scout, making the scout die with a few needle hits.

hans

Quoted from skeej

I think doing “just” the subtraction thing is not sufficient; you’re skipping too much steps. The approach that grimbar and Vanilla were touching on in their posts come from a more fundamental perspective, resulting in actual comprehension instead of just doing something because someone instructed you to do it.

You’re completely right about the fundamentals. Frankly, I assumed that any medic who plays competitive knows that stuff already, and if they don’t, well, it’s easy to look up. Plenty of reference material available already.

Maybe I’m wrong extrapolating from myself back in div5 and the (thankfully relatively small amount of :D) medics who’ve come to me for help since then. But the problem often seems to be more “I know how fast uber builds but I need a shortcut how to keep track of it while actally having brain space left for other things I need to concentrate on, should I maybe use a stop watch fml” if you understand what I mean. It’s a small thing, really. I didn’t expect it to turn into a lengthy discussion tbh.

Completely agree on the seconds vs % btw.

agron

Relic

Quoted from hans

[…]

You’re completely right about the fundamentals… I didn’t expect it to turn into a lengthy discussion tbh.

Completely agree on the seconds vs % btw.

Quoted from hans

Wow. Congrats, really. That’s exactly why new medics fail so much at it, because THIS is the explanation they get. Some arithmetic bullshit instead of “check match time when med spawns, substract 40 seconds… This is why I think it’d be great if Fish could put something similar on Vanilla or maybe he has a better way of keeping track, in which case I’m excited to find out.

+1 to both

Personally I only count my own percentages and keep track of obvious advantage/disadvantage eg. “I had 30% uber when their medic spawned so I guess we have advantage so let’s maybe push ok?”

But then again I also don’t use voice commands to fake uber or cover the “uber ready” sound effect or whatever it is cool kids do nowadays.

To sum it up: I’m shit.

Taimou

+1 to both

Personally I only count my own percentages and keep track of obvious advantage/disadvantage eg. “I had 30% uber when their medic spawned so I guess we have advantage so let’s FUCKING push!”

But then again I should use voice commands to fake uber or cover the “uber ready” sound effect or whatever it is cool kids do nowadays.

To sum it up: I’m shit.

Fixed, and yes you’re shit ))

Also +1111111111111 to the few posts above

Slair

[d¿s]

How would you change your approach to mid to deal with teams who rely heavily on scouts to make the plays, while their heavies clean up the mess and conversly how would you approach a mid where a team throws everything at you but the scouts?

Kiss Kiss

8{
8D

I’m scout. I’m capping enemy Spire. We have players down, say both our sollies and the 2nd scout. Our Medic/Demo are in Trash/StoneBridge and get attacked by a Solly/Scout.

Do I sit on the cap and pewpewpistol down and get our team forward respawn, or do I give up the cap and save our medic/demo?

agron

Relic

Quoted from Taimou

[…]

Fixed, and yes you’re shit ))

Also +1111111111111 to the few posts above

thanks, good fix. Have to agree with that. You are shit if you think spamming sound effects fools anyone into thinking that you have, or dont have, uber. Deploying edited safeties: : D :D

Taimou

Quoted from agron

[…] thanks, good fix. Have to agree with that. You are shit if you think spamming sound effects fools anyone into thinking that you have, or dont have, uber. Deploying edited safeties: : D :D

hihihi))

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »