Forum

Ask Fish - Help needed!

Created 11th October 2011 @ 20:49

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

hans

I don’t really need help with that, but I’d love to see it written somewhere how to count the uber timing properly. So many low medics don’t know how to…

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

Quoted from alfa

who are you

oh the irony.

Dummy

Quoted from alfa

who are you

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLAy-sKLAvGPOlTS8R8Ot1gkRbZiX4hj8bSmYBwnwoTtiJD2vyJyXneXVjfw

evokje

WiK?

Quoted from hans

I don’t really need help with that, but I’d love to see it written somewhere how to count the uber timing properly. So many low medics don’t know how to…

Ask skeej

vani

Bully

Quoted from evokje

[…]
Ask skeej

Down to the nanosecond!

Quoted from hans

I’d love to see it written somewhere how to count the uber timing properly.

25% equals 10 seconds

10% equals 4 seconds

and so on

Just look at the uber percent, assuming its constant uber building. 50% means theres 20 seconds left. That wasnt so hard, no?

grimbar

1,25% per second when not pumping
2.5% per second when you pump (careful it only counts as pumping below 285 health – in case of the soldier)

estimate whether your opponent got someone to pump with from spawn (based on calls and scoreboard)

Easy :)

+ what vanilla said

wrock

vier

quotet from sigma:

1. The uber drain rate is 12.5%/s while you have 1 target ubered and are connected to him.
2. For each player who is flashed as a result of your uber, the drain rate increases by 6.25%/s (a flash lasts 1s). So, 18.75% with 2 players ubered (1 connected, 1 flashed), 25% with 3 players ubered, etc.
3. When you hit 0% uber, you and your current target are flashed for 1s.

My wording is specific here for a reason: these are some things I didn’t realize until I went tic-by-tic in a demo of me ubering different patterns of bots in spawn. The meaningful in game consequences are:

1. If you uber and your pocket jumps out of heal beam range, even if you do not flash anyone else, your drain rate increases to 18.75%/s for 1 second or until you reconnect with him. You get longer ubers if you’re connected the entire time, but since that’s often impractical, the result is that you have a half-cost flash when your pocket jumps (since you’ll be draining faster anyways — the only penalty is when you switch back and whoever you flashed is causing your drain to increase).

2. Right before you hit 0%, you have a free flash. Why? Examine:

-You have 5% remaining before your uber is out, with one target ubered.
-You switch targets. Your original target is now flashing for 1s, and your drain rate is at 18.75%/s.
-Before you hit 0%, you attach to another target. Due to fact 3 above, you and your new target and now flashing for 1s.

Hence, you can have an 8s uber on 1 target, then 1s with 2 players ubered right at the end. From what I’ve seen, almost all experienced medics do a flash right at the end of their uber, but I don’t think many consciously realize why it’s a good idea (I had the habit before I went and found these results).

In case anyone cares, the 3 facts above also apply to the kritz drain rate. You don’t get flashes with kritz (hence fact 3 is kind of a moot point), but you still have that increased drain as a result of switching (bleh). Still well worth it to switch a kritz though, since typically you shoot 1-2 crit stickies, then 15 scouts and 22 soldiers are on your head and a crit rocket is the right tool for the job.

hans

Wow. Congrats, really. That’s exactly why new medics fail so much at it, because THIS is the explanation they get. Some arithmetic bullshit instead of “check match time when med spawns, substract 40 seconds, that’s about when they’re gonna get it” or “check when med spawns, see how many seconds until you respawn, that’s your disadvantage.” More than enough at the start, you can bother with “oh they can’t build properly cause they run a heavy” etc later. And of course it’s so obvious, once you know it, that noone thinks of saying it out loud. But trust me, a lot of people can’t count ubers properly because they believe they need to constantly calculate heal rates and whatnot. For me it didn’t klick until someone explained how to time items in Quake, and I had actually asked other medics about it, who all gave me the “x % per x time” crap.

This is why I think it’d be great if Fish could put something similar on Vanilla or maybe he has a better way of keeping track, in which case I’m excited to find out.

vani

Bully

Quoted from hans

This is why I think it’d be great if Fish could put something similar on Vanilla or maybe he has a better way of keeping track, in which case I’m excited to find out.

Unless he has something up his sleeve…

Quoted from evokje

Ask skeej

dauk

you can also ask skeej why poop is brown.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

http://www.mikemarcin.com/gaming/team-fortress-2/loperts-uber-timing-script

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Quoted from dauk

you can also ask skeej why poop is brown.

bilirubin and biliverdin

grimbar

Quoted from hans

Wow. Congrats, really. That’s exactly why new medics fail so much at it, because THIS is the explanation they get. Some arithmetic bullshit instead of “check match time when med spawns, substract 40 seconds, that’s about when they’re gonna get it” or “check when med spawns, see how many seconds until you respawn, that’s your disadvantage.” More than enough at the start, you can bother with “oh they can’t build properly cause they run a heavy” etc later. And of course it’s so obvious, once you know it, that noone thinks of saying it out loud. But trust me, a lot of people can’t count ubers properly because they believe they need to constantly calculate heal rates and whatnot. For me it didn’t klick until someone explained how to time items in Quake, and I had actually asked other medics about it, who all gave me the “x % per x time” crap.

So our explanation is crap because new players misinterpret and/or overcomplicate things, premiership logic being applied here.

Our explanation is correct, thank you very much.

We’re dealing with a limited set of variables here, it is not rocket science

hans

Quoted from grimbar

So our explanation is crap because new players misinterpret and/or overcomplicate things

Precisely. Fish’s articles target div6-4 players.

I can tell you that the real numbers are an ordered field, but if you don’t know how to count the fingers on your hand it won’t help you.

grimbar

Quoted from hans

[…]

Precisely. Fish’s articles target div6-4 players.

I can tell you that the real numbers are an ordered field, but if you don’t know how to count the fingers on your hand it won’t help you.

If only there was a causal link between division and mental arithmetics.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »