Forum

Looking for a new mouse

Created 27th June 2010 @ 23:12

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Decoy

Quoted from octochris

[…]

This.

As a general rule, the best mouse is the one that fits your hand the best.

it’s hard to find a place where you can actually touch some mice, sure some electronics stores have some mice that you can touch but they usually are some random mice. So you’ve just got to kinda predict what would fir you :/

Chux

guru
,(s),

Depends on you personal taste. It would be a good idea to try out a few of them so you have some idea what would suit you best.

I hear great feedback from users about the MX518 and QCK series combination (and i use it myself :D)

Sketch

MM

go to i40 and go to Kustom pc. they will let you demo about 40 gaming mice

Decoy

Quoted from Sketch

go to i40 and go to Kustom pc. they will let you demo about 40 gaming mice

right… im not sure we have them in Estonia :D

Jims

[GM\\\'2]

If you currently care about DPI, stop caring.
Onwards with my ramble!

MX518 – Good, but prediction / snapping

IE 3.0 – Good some people don’t like the shape, sensor has some very small (Unnoticeable to most) issues on REALY low sens. (I’m extremely happy with mine and play on a low sens, just make sure you OC it to 500hz)

IE 1.1 – Same as 3.0, different shape.

WMO – Don’t know much about it, generaly looked at in the same light as 3.0/1.1 (?)

Deathadder – Good, some prefer the shape to the 3.0, some have massive problems with the sensor espicialy on certain surfaces, generaly looked at as a good mouse.
(Theres a few other Razer mouses that might share the sensor, some of the newer ones but I’m not sure so I’m not going to post them, if they do share it they should be decent)

Xai/Kone – Heard of them both having MASSIVE negative accel problems and various other stuff, espicialy firmware issues, I’d stay away personaly though I haven’t used one

Most laser mouses bar a few – Just don’t bother.

Mousepads:

QCK+ – Looked at as a very good mousemat, though its not stupidly slidy (You can even get it in a shiny orange fnatic graphic if you want a IMBACOOLLOOKINGSHARK MOUSEMAT, just bare in mind some mouses struggle with colours)

QCK Heavy – A realy thick QCK+, Same as qck, realy good, not amazingly slidy versus some of the stuff out there (I prefer it like this to be fair) “apparantly good for bad lan desks since its so thick”

PureTrak Talent – Seems to be realy highly rated, most prefer it to the QCK though its hardish to get hold of if your in england so I can’t comment on this since I’m happy with my QCK Heavy.

Razer Mantis speed – Used it, its better than wood, but feels like crap to the QCK heavy.
(If you go for anything with options such as “speed” and “control” you should always go for control anyway (generaly)

Mouse mats are more personal prefence to be fair, just make sure the mouse you get is known to work with the mat you plan on getting etc etc and you should be fine.

Last edited by Jims,

Iller

tGa

Good post, Jims.

I can only agree about what you say about caring about DPI.
Those huge DPI’s you see on new mice are much higher than you will ever need for pixel accuracy. Also, using too high DPI and compensating with low sens in-game often cause a lot of negative acceleration on most laser mice.

When it comes to mouse pads I have tried an awful lot of those.
Most of my pads are plastic ones. However, I have learned one important lesson about those and that is that they wear out very quickly. The fine structure gets a little bit smoother and making the worn out parts a bit more shiny.
This makes your mouse move slower on those parts and screws up your aim a lot.

Glass and rubber pads are not that good either. Glass surfaces don’t wear out, but make a lot of noice and usually the friction is too high (even though the surface is extremely smooth).
Rubber pads like the Qpad CT have the problem that it takes slightly more force to start to move it than to continue to move it once it already moves. This leads to somewhat bad precision when you do smaller moves with the mouse.

Therefore I have concluded that cloth is really the only option for a good mouse pad (at least to me).
I tried the Qck and it was surprisingly ok, although a found the friction to be too high.

Now I bought a Mionix Alioth 400 (thanks Minimoose for the tip) and it seems to be excellent so far. It is a much faster pad than the Qck and the feeling of control is higher imo.

When it comes to mice I have used :
MS intellimouse 1.1, Steelseries Ikari optical, Steelseries Ikari laser and the Mionix Naos 5000.
In my opinion :
MS intellimouse 1.1 (not sure about the model here) < Steelseries Ikari optical < Steelseries Ikari laser < Mionix Naos 5000.

Last edited by Iller,

Spike Himself

TC

DPI = dots per inch. It applies to printing, not to mice.

Also the term “gaming” in hardware simply means “as many leds as possible and other fancy stuff you don’t really need”

Ugh marketing..

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Chux

guru
,(s),

Depending on the sens you use, the mousepad size is also something you should consider. One of the reasons I went for a qck+ is its size (450 x 400mm) and the extra surface realy comes in handy. I also prefer the cloth pads over any hard ones, but like most of the stuff here, just my preference.

the DPI war is just plain marketing, you’ll never use max values (or even close to them on these resolutions). I would also stick to optics rather than lasers.

SteelSeries Xai ftw

reCon

Logitech MX518

pykow

Logitech G5 !

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Just buy Logitech MouseMan and you are good to go.

Quoted from Spike Himself

DPI = dots per inch. It applies to printing, not to mice.

Also the term “gaming” in hardware simply means “as many leds as possible and other fancy stuff you don’t really need”

Ugh marketing..

Except with mice, non-“gaming” mice have terribad tracking. (except IME&WMO etc.)

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Sturmis

[…]

Except with mice, non-“gaming” mice have terribad tracking. (except IME&WMO etc.)

Decent mice have decent tracking. It being branded as a “gaming mouse” or not has no influence on that. It is, after all, merely a marketing trick.

Jims

[GM\\\'2]

Quoted from Sturmis

[…]

The general jist is bar a few if it has to be branded with “UBER L33T GAM3R M0U$3” to be sold theres a problem.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »