Forum

New computer

Created 11th October 2009 @ 21:15

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5

Skyride

DUCS

i7 is MARGINALLY better, due to hyperthreading and triple channel RAM.

In real world performance, it’s oh.. about 2 fps? xD

You’re better off without hyperthreading a lot of the time too, at least, assuming the tests I saw of i5 vs i7 were right, and i7 will get phased out soon as the i5 is so much more worth it.

On the source Engine, Hyperthreading gives you reduced performance. :D

Cloud

.wldcrd!

I lol’d

Skyride

DUCS

what about a hard drive ;).

ROFL, my mistake, I forgot to actually write it on the post. The total price includes it, 500GB Samsung F3.

Mads.

so definatly not a i7? im confused why would the entry i5 be better than the entry i7?

xtala

The i5 isn’t exactly entry.

i7 is way more expensive, for a marginal increase in performance.
It also locks you into an expensive upgrade path, only the high-end cpu’s (920 & the future i9 series) will be released on s1366.

So i5 offers about the same performance (especially in gaming), but it’s waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

Azured

eureka

For gaming the i5 750 is generally equal to or faster than the i7 920. The i7 has an extra memory lane and supports HT, but the i5 has a more aggressive turbo mode (and has the pci-e lanes built directly into the core itself but this has no impact on performance atm). The extra memory lane has no impact on gaming performance, and HT cannot make up for the less useful turbo mode. They’re clocked at the same speed, so it makes sense that the i5 is the faster for gaming.
If you compress archives with winrar for a living, though, it’s another matter…

Last edited by Azured,

Skyride

DUCS

I lol’d

Well I heard it off Gryzor a while ago and a quick google confirmed it. ;)

Norrland3000

No that is not true, that has nothing to do with it. You can reinstall a OEM how much you want.

if your OEM came with a pc, it’ll reinstall as many times as you want, ON THAT PC.

Otherwise, it’s just the normal OS but without all the manuals and stuff I assume

If you have the Cd-key and a cd to boot on its no problem. You can change how many parts you want. You might have to call microsoft to activate it but thats not that hard.

uvio

the roadmap for the i5 cpu’s looks much more afordable.
i7 will get the eXtreme style cpu’s, think expensive, like thousand bucks for an upgrade.

the onchip memory controller on the i5, like amd does for some time, pays off more than the third ram channel.

hyperthreading was always bad. especially with games there just isn’t the workload to take advantage of it.
single thread/higher core speed when mainly using one core is worth more.

turning off the hyperthreading also helps overclocking the cpu. the gain in performance is much bigger than the advantages from ht.

check anandtech.com or hardocp.com for the reviews, they explained it in depth.

Mads.

gg;s to everyone in etf2l btw :)

banned… again.. :P

jgmaster

BM

gg;s to everyone in etf2l btw :)

banned… again.. :P

Why would you need a 2nd account?

Last edited by jgmaster,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5