Forum

LERN ENGILS WIT SPIEK

Created 13th December 2010 @ 15:21

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 ... 16 Next »

Smofo

Im THAT good!

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

You, sir, have missed the point of this thread.

I don’t actually care you get sick of people typing/writing bad english well tough luck I get sick of little nerds like you whining about everything all the time!

pykow

learning english from a dutchie :P

I can speak english very well but not so snel maar dat komt nog wel !!

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Smofo doesn’t care about language. He expresses himself through DANCE.

Quoted from spence

IF we brits learnt more foreign languages such as dutch and german etc then I am sure we would pick at the way you guys talk because you learn all the correct ways to construct sentances depending upon their tense etc etc. However the fact is we use this language all day every day and habits that are possibly ‘grammatically incorrect’ will creep in. We have very broad accents that all contain different colloquialisms

Why are you still talking about colloquialisms when we are typing on a forum?

I’M PUNCHING THE KEYS FOR GOD’S SAKE.

Typing “of” instead of “have” is initially confusing because “of” means something entirely different. I don’t want language to devolve into some homonymic dribbling mess, where every word has to derive its meaning from the specific context it is put in. Language defines our ability to express our thoughts and emotions, to communicate them with others. Bluntly put, simplifying our language is simplifying our thoughts.

And the fact that you speak with an accent or dialect at home is no real excuse. Every country has it’s local accents and dialects (which is different from slang btw). The definitions of accent and dialect exist for a reason: to specifiy that it deviates from the standard norm. When we all come together from different parts of the world, we can at least TRY to adhere to that norm, as much as we can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4XD5MTMACg

Last edited by skeej,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Smofo

[…]

I don’t actually care you get sick of people typing/writing bad english well tough luck I get sick of little nerds like you whining about everything all the time!

As I said, you’re missing the point. I’m not whining at all. Also I’m not a little nerd. I’m quite full grown.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

In language a phrase or whatever can’t be wrong, all you can say is that it differs from the standard form.

Last edited by Koeitje,

I am fairly amused (yet at the same time not completely surprised) by the number of individuals who are so quick to take offence to the OP. Using good spelling, punctuation and grammar is simply a common courtesy to your audience (ironically a courtesy that seems less ‘common’ these days). As far as I’m concerned it takes very little additional time or effort to maintain the habit of making what you want to say perfectly clear, so there is no reason not to do so. I don’t think anyone expects perfection in every sentence they read on the internet, but when you have to pause and spend a few seconds trying to decipher what another person is actually trying to say in a post where they have merged a paragraph’s worth of text into one sentence, it is hard not to get a little irate.

As a dual US/British citizen I still, on occasion, have mind lapses and revert to using American spellings or punctuation rules. I would argue, however, that in most cases the American version of the written language makes more sense phonetically (e.g. criticize rather than criticise).

I’d also find it amusing to canvass for opinion on the pluralisation of acronyms and initialisms, since the posters in this thread appear to be very opinionated individuals. So… multiple compact discs: CDs, CD’s, C.D.s or C.D.’s?

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

Quoted from Sheridyn

I’d also find it amusing to canvass for opinion on the pluralisation of acronyms and initialisms, since the posters in this thread appear to be very opinionated individuals. So… multiple compact discs: CDs, CD’s, C.D.s or C.D.’s?

Why, CDs, of course!

dougiie

CotC

Quoted from Sheridyn

I am fairly amused (yet at the same time not completely surprised) by the number of individuals who are so quick to take offence to the OP. Using good spelling, punctuation and grammar is simply a common courtesy to your audience (ironically a courtesy that seems less ‘common’ these days). As far as I’m concerned it takes very little additional time or effort to maintain the habit of making what you want to say perfectly clear, so there is no reason not to do so.

Yeah true, but you have 0 idea about the people who type on these forums. For example, people with learning difficulties (dyslexia) or whatever, surely you can’t say.. “oh how ignorant you chose the wrong word” etc etc

Spike Himself

TC

Not sure whether this should be a matter of opinion (surely there are rules for it?), but to be honest I have no idea. “CDs” seems to make sense to me, so I’ll go for that.

rtan

-9w-

i speek exccellent, englsih

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from BERSERKER

[…]
Why, CDs, of course!

No, it’s CD’s, pluralised acronyms have an apostrophe in there. Consult OED!

I speak good English. I learn it from a book.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from octochris

[…]

No, it’s CD’s, pluralised acronyms have an apostrophe in there. Consult OED!

So how do you construct a possesive pluralised acronym? CD’s’ ?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from skeej

[…]

So how do you construct a possesive pluralised acronym? CD’s’ ?

No, just CD’s. They are mutually exclusive.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

It’s CDs. 100% sure.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 ... 16 Next »