Forum

LERN ENGILS WIT SPIEK

Created 13th December 2010 @ 15:21

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 16 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

I’ve never studied the construction of our beautiful language past a very basic level, so these terms of which you speak find themselves somewhat lost amidst my meagre understanding.

I do, however, believe the apostrophe should be used to indicate a missing letter or letters from the written representaion of a combination of words.

If we already have an abbreviation in use, CD, and we understand that the correct way to write ‘compact discs’ is without the apostrophe, it seems correct to me to then use an apostrophe to indicate the end of the word ‘disc’ and that the ‘s’ isnt just part of the abbreviation, as in BSc Hons.

From this reasoning, I hereby declare CD’s to be the correct term.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Quoted from Sheridyn

C.D.s

Would be the “most correct” way to write it imo, as it is an abbreviation. There should not be any apotrophes in pluralisms so those are out…personally I would usually type “CDs” because I am too lazy for the dots, but they do belong there.

Do note, I also haven’t studied english on more than a basic level but according to my gut-feeling the above would be the best way to put it, bar typing out “Compact Discs”.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Fluffy Meowington

[…]
Would be the “most correct” way to write it imo, as it is an abbreviation.

Wrong. OED it.

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Wrong. OED it.

Opinions can’t be wrong.
CompactDiscs = CDs

From OED:

CD
Pronunciation: siːˈdiː
noun (plural CDs)

a compact disc.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

dougiie

CotC

shit just got real

Monkeh

Ha Ha Ha Ha! I freaking love this site! Here we have a discussion on the correct useage of grammar in abbreviated English…on a TF2 league site…. fucking lol.

<3 ETF2L

tasKu

e-famous

aim äm veri sirious

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

You’re right this is nerdy, lets talk about playing a computer game competive and stuff that will make us seem cool so we get invited to parties.

Last edited by CrashSite,

Monkeh

Quoted from CrashSite

…lets talk about…stuff that will make us seem cool so we get invited to parties.

I like tits me.

Last edited by Monkeh,

octochris

(0v0)

CD
Pronunciation: siːˈdiː
noun (plural CDs)

a compact disc.

what the fuck oed have just gone against everything i know and love

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

[…]

Opinions can’t be wrong.

1. Every statement is an opinion in some way or form.
2. Opinions can’t be wrong.
3. Wrong is the same thing as false.
3. All opinions are true.
4. All statements are true.
5. ????
6. PROFIT!!!

Quoted from Koeitje

It’s CDs. 100% sure.

Wait did you just ninja edit?

Last edited by skeej,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Koeitje

It’s CDs. 100% sure.

NICE EDIT

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

yea lol

Smofo

Im THAT good!

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

As I said, you’re missing the point. I’m not whining at all. Also I’m not a little nerd. I’m quite full grown.

Huge nerd then I don’t care there are also people who are better at other subjects then languages and yes I know your original post was a joke but then you started whining in other threads and whining to people here, like me I probably only know/can write a little english cause it’s in been in my life for like ehh 10 years.. same with dutch, other languages in school I fucking failed at cause I never used them basicly I make loads of grammar mistakes in dutch and english but I don’t care aslong as people will understand me.

Spike Himself

TC

Sorry, what?

hehe

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 ... 16 Next »