Forum

BBC Panorama - Addicted to Gaming

Created 6th December 2010 @ 19:39

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Spike Himself

someone that goes to college to learn, comes home to continue learning, and can’t sleep at night because of the need to learn more, is addicted to learning, because they could be gaming instead, but aren’t. Hm?

Which one of the two is the addiction again?

agreed, An ex of mines was like this (hence, “ex”). People like that aren’t addicted to learning, they are just too scared to even think of what will happen if they don’t get 95%+ on that next test (the answer to which is typically, fuck all), so they just spend all their time studying as they feel insanely guilty doing anything else to the point of finding it un-enjoyable. Usually its people with pushy parents or “expected high achievers” who don’t have the balls to say to all the teachers/parents pushing them “no, fuck you”.

Fodi

I was about to get lvl78 last night so I missed it. Any good?

Jokes aside it is kinda terrible that all reports which refer to “gaming addiction” are taking WoW as example. Seriously, that game is only played by people who are mentally weak and/or korean (I dont know which case is worse). How can you compare games with drogs like heroin when they dont cause any physical addictions.

caned

MEAT
LEGO

my vision…. my millions….

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited by byte,

caned

MEAT
LEGO

the fuck i broke the site

fle.

im on it who cares about wow etc etc?

Stimpy

Ironic the first song made me think or Dr Justices frag vid ;)

Poop

TSUN~
[PG]

Quoted from rtan

Just watched it, made me laugh.

Nice to see Peter in the crowd at i40 and that skyride has now given up mw2 on the xbox.

r7an: “I’m addicted to raping snowmen lol”

Destrutor

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

agreed, An ex of mines was like this (hence, “ex”). People like that aren’t addicted to learning, they are just too scared to even think of what will happen if they don’t get 95%+ on that next test (the answer to which is typically, fuck all), so they just spend all their time studying as they feel insanely guilty doing anything else to the point of finding it un-enjoyable. Usually its people with pushy parents or “expected high achievers” who don’t have the balls to say to all the teachers/parents pushing them “no, fuck you”.

Thats me :D

dunc

infs
dp.

addiction, meh

it has nothing to do with video games. or smoking. or taking drugs, or whatever

if a person has a personality that requires an addiction – a “crutch” as it were – then removing their specific addiction (such as gaming) will just force them to find another addiction

it’s all about childhood development, but no government would dare to insinuate that many parents are entirely incapable of showing the love and affection that their children require

because of that, they find other outlets to blame.. such as gaming :)

personally, I’d rather that my child was addicted to gaming than addicted to drugs, but I’d be happy with neither because I’d know that it was an addiction all the same, and that I’d probably not got it quite right as a parent

simplez

Last edited by dunc,

Darn

rockit like

Quoted from dunc

addiction, meh

it has nothing to do with video games. or smoking. or taking drugs, or whatever

if a person has a personality that requires an addiction – a “crutch” as it were – then removing their specific addiction (such as gaming) will just force them to find another addiction

it’s all about childhood development, but no government would dare to insinuate that many parents are entirely incapable of showing the love and affection that their children require

because of that, they find other outlets to blame.. such as gaming :)

personally, I’d rather that my child was addicted to gaming than addicted to drugs, but I’d be happy with neither because I’d know that it was an addiction all the same, and that I’d probably not got it quite right as a parent

simplez

Id give em drugs that they would stay away from gaming.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

I have an addictive personality, I was, at a point, incredibly addicted to games, Halo 2 was the game I played day and night, it’s a point of there’s nothing much else to do.

At the moment I have a day off, my gf is at work and there’s nothing to do in the house, so, I play games. Simple.

There was a point where I had no job and no real commitments so I’d just play games, I had no real time constraints, now I have a job and a woman that needs feeding so I don’t play as much.

Not only that but the people you meet online, are they not better or as nice as the people you would meet outside? Some of the funniest people I’ve met have been on the internet.

I find it unfair that the focus was on those that obviously had addictive personalities, because you could do the same with gambling and anything else, it’s simply down to the person having the personality, if they had picked up crack before a game they’d probably be addicted to that instead.

And those parents that actually are that ignorant to not notice their kids playing PC games for 12 hours straight through the night, whenever I tried that it was the taking the XBOX leads away and getting water thrown at me in the morning or anything else that would keep me awake as punishment for playing so late.

It was actually hell.

dauk

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

I have an addictive personality, I was, at a point, incredibly addicted to games, Halo 2 was the game I played day and night, it’s a point of there’s nothing much else to do.

At the moment I have a day off, my gf is at work and there’s nothing to do in the house, so, I play games. Simple.

There was a point where I had no job and no real commitments so I’d just play games, I had no real time constraints, now I have a job and a woman that needs feeding so I don’t play as much.

The counter argument to this is that you could spend your time reading famous books, learning how to play music instrument ,doing charity or some other cool stuffs.

The games have almost no value except of killing time.

Last edited by dauk,

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Naturally, but games are designed to give rewards, or make you keep playing, that’s why on online games like WoW or COD you get levels, and in COD once you have reached level 50, you do it again until you’ve done it 15 times.

When playing MW2 and I hit level 50, I got really bored and stopped playing, hit prestige then I carried on again, with TF2 I got ok at the game, found it to be thinning out, played competitive now it’s back again, but more controlled.

Games are made for people to carry on playing, how many Single player games have you played to complete it over and over again? It’s easier to create a simple game to play online where you just level up over a long period of time then create a good single player which will have people playing it over and over again.

As I said it’s down to the person, if someone has a choice between carrying on learning an instrument or something similar they’re probably going to go for that instead of playing games, or create a balance with games featuring a small part in their life.

Someone with an addictive personality will just choose playing the game, because it gives instant reward and it keeps on giving the rewards.

Not only that but learning to play an instrument takes up a fuck ton of time than playing a game.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

how many Single player games have you played to complete it over and over again?

Completed Deus Ex 14 times, System Shock 2 7, Mass Effect 6, Hostile Waters 5, Mass Effect 2 3 times…

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Did you do them again because they’re addicting or because they’re good games to play?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 Next »