Forum

The Computer Well

Created 27th November 2010 @ 20:02

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

I believe it stands for ‘dots per inch’

No idea what a dot is tho, go google FTW!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dots+per+inch+mouse+meaning

Last edited by Monkeh,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Shifty

OK OC question :D (thanks spike for answering our questions btw now that chris has buggerd of lol)
So i have my AMD 955 BE with a GigaByte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX FRGVSA mobo, and a Scythe Samurai ZZ SCSMZ-2000 as my cooler.
So first of if i OC to 3.6ghz (instead of 3.2) will it get me a significant performance increase ?
Second: I am a bit lazy so i wanted to use the amd Overdrive tool BUT when i try to set the multiplier in adv mode, the multiplier stops at 16x (which is the standard)…wtf ? My cpu is a BE, 100% sure
When i auto OCed it with AOD it gave me a max of 3.85ghz and it increased the voltage to 1.43 …i am not that sure if that is really all that stable since i got a BOS after the AOD autoclock was done i reseted and it gaver me the option to clock it to the last known stable setting, still i wasn that sure.
So is 3.85ghz a “stable” OC on air ? Should i just rise the voltage to 1.5 just to be sure ? (think max voltage for it is 1.62 or something)

Would be great if you could help me (also i added you on steam :D)

1. Define significant? Yes, you will experience an increase in performance. How big that increase is depends on what you’re doing. You won’t see a difference in steam chat windows appearing more quickly, for example.

2. Sorry, not familiar with newer AMD’s! :(
Finding stability in overclocking in general though; if you get a BSOD, you’re not stable. Raising voltage “just in case” is silly. Just do enough testing. Also when you’re warned about your cpu lifetime being reduced due to overclocking, it means you can use it for 8 years instead of 10. I’d say “awesome, add more volts!”. Always be careful though and don’t take huge leaps when up’ing any settings. Also if you’re facing an instability issue, take things slow and change only one thing at a time so you can pinpoint the cause of your issue.

Edit; don’t use any auto-OC stuff. Every motherboard/cpu/etc is unique. There is no magic setting that will work for everyone.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Wabbeh

Ok, I haz a nice simples qestion for ya:
What the hell does dpi mean/do for mice. Cos I think it means degrees per inch, but if that’s so, then a 3600 dpi mouse would do 10 360s in an inch…..omghelp?

It stands for dots per inch. Your confusion is justified though, as this does not make any sense. On the steelseries website you will find a blog post about this and why it should be called CPI instead.

Shifty

Thanks for ya answer !
Might ask chris bout the amd stuff or maybe he will even check this thread out again :D

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

do or don’t: defragment s-ata disks in a normal windows-7-pc-enviroment, disk space about 3 TB. No raid, no SSDs.

Fight.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from nTraum

do or don’t: defragment s-ata disks in a normal windows-7-pc-enviroment, disk space about 3 TB. No raid, no SSDs.

Fight.

Fragmentation will always make things slower, so I can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t want to defragment.
Only exception being SSD’s as they slowly detoriate.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Sure, but it’s a question of input/benefit ratio as the defrag-process would take several hours easily. Dunno if you’ll notice any differences at all.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from nTraum

the defrag-process would take several hours easily

wut
Try doing it more regularly :)

(even if it would take several hours, why not just do it overnight?)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

Troels

WUL

Have a problem with my mouse. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. it does it while on the desktop and in any game as well. however it does it way more in tf2 than anywhere else, sometimes disconnecting for up to 15 sec.

checked google out where the general problem for people seems to be outdated drivers, so i have updated mine, didn’t work.

Have a MSI 3.0, had the problem with my deathadder as well.

Oh forgot to add that its USB and everything else that runs on USB on my pc (keyboard, external drives etc.) have no problems what so ever.

but on both mice it first began after quite some time.
(gave my deathadder to a friend, and after some time it started doing it on his pc as well)
anyways any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited by Troels,

fisk

KiH
KiH

what ghosting program would you use if cloning one disk to another? System partition is on the disc that needs cloned aswell.

Destrutor

Whats a safe temp for my processor to be running at when in 100% use (Need to know for OCing, atm it runs at about 60C when it’s running flat-out)

What CPU you got?

AnimaL

how do i open this fuckin dell studio 1558… it overheats like a boss when i play smth on it, but this wasnt an issue the first 8 months of usage…maybe some other suggestion?

p.s. temps on idle linux distros are worse than playing games on windows :/

Destrutor

Quoted from JOHNNYJACKAL

What CPU you got?

AMD Athlon 7750 BE @ 2.7GHz

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »