Forum

The Computer Well

Created 27th November 2010 @ 20:02

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 11 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from flushy

1. where has 50GB of my HDD gone? it says 180GB used but when i select all the files it only comes to 130GB odd. could it be in backups made by vista or has my OS stolen it? anyway is there a way to detect where it is and get it back? cheers

Logged in as administrator while doing the “select all files” bit? (assuming vista/7?)
Windows tends to put a lot of stuff in the system restore folder, to which I think normal users don’t have access. Should have that turned off anyway.

Alternatively, check your recycle bin.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Monkeh

De-frag?

I can’t imagine fragmentation taking up 50 GB on a disk with only 180 GB in use.

doin’ them unnecessary double posts like a pro now

Last edited by Spike Himself,

compton

cvx|

Quoted from Spike Himself

That’s the first time I’ve seen the words ‘javascript’ and ‘interesting’ in the same sentence :D

Actually, Javascript has matured in the last few years a lot. It has always been a powerful language with all necessary features to build pretty much anything. The abuse of the technology has of course given it a bad rep, but nowadays you can even build high-performance, scalable web servers with the language.

But the most interesting thing is how it’s changing the web applications. Think Gmail. It’s not only popular because it has a big storage for the e-mails but also because the user interface is quick and responsive and there’s no page loads. This is not possible without Javascript.

Actually, Javascript will change the web in the coming years more than Flash ever did. But in a good way :D

Here’s a book about it: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517748

Oh well…

Last edited by compton,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from compton

[…]

Actually, Javascript has matured in the last few years a lot. It has always been a powerful language with all necessary features to build pretty much anything. The abuse of the technology has of course given it a bad rep, but nowadays you can even build high-performance, scalable web servers with the language.

But the most interesting thing is how it’s changing the web applications. Think Gmail. It’s not only popular because it has a big storage for the e-mails but also because the user interface is quick and responsive and there’s no page loads. This is not possible without Javascript.

Actually, Javascript will change the web in the coming years more than Flash ever did.

Here’s a book about it: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517748

Oh well…

jquery and ajax etc are all very nice (they’re making my job a whole lot easier, at any rate) but javascript continues to be a language that just doesn’t seem to make sense. I guess that’s basically due to the lack of browser independency (sp?) though.

Full scale webservers in javascript you say? Sounds like a fun experiment but I wouldn’t trust it to be more than just that :x (dare I lol @ “high-performance”?)

Wiiking

I started to study cognitive science a few months ago, and found to my big suprise AI being a big part of it (thinking it was mostly phycology yadda yadda). I never programmed anything before and to say the least, even if im gonna spend a lot of time programming AI (using python) will it be of any big use for me once my skills in irl? :P

So to make it short… Will I have any use with some half assed AI skills outside of school and what do you think of python compared to other programs available?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Wiiking

what do you think of python compared to other programs available?

“what do you think of volkswagen compared to other cars available?”

Every language has its pros and cons and in the end it mostly comes down to personal preference. (assuming you can tell, for example, c++ and vb.net apart)

flushy

P.O.P

i thought chris was answering the questions Spike Himself :)))))

compton

cvx|

[…]

jquery and ajax etc are all very nice (they’re making my job a whole lot easier, at any rate) but javascript continues to be a language that just doesn’t seem to make sense. I guess that’s basically due to the lack of browser independency (sp?) though.

Full scale webservers in javascript you say? Sounds like a fun experiment but I wouldn’t trust it to be more than just that :x (dare I lol @ “high-performance”?)

Javascript makes sense if you use the good parts of it. Nobody forces you to write bad Javascript code although it is possible. Javascript as a language is actually a whole different topic than browsers. No language ever made could make a better job at cross-browser consistency.

Node.js is the project I’m talking about. It’s not an experiment. It’s an event-based web server that is being used in many production sites:

http://nodejs.org/
http://blog.getify.com/2010/07/why-node-js-rocks-the-middle-end/

The popularity is expanding rapidly and although some of it is hype, it’s can be used as a serious backend for any web-app, especially for apps that get an advantage of event-based processing.

compton

cvx|

[…]

“what do you think of volkswagen compared to other cars available?”

Every language has its pros and cons and in the end it mostly comes down to personal preference. (assuming you can tell, for example, c++ and vb.net apart)

It actually comes down to the kind of project you have in your hands. Personal preference comes far away after that.

edit: and to answer the original question: Python is a great language for a first language to learn. It requires you to write strict code and there’s lots of features similar to Python’s in other languages. And it’s also used as it is in many commercial projects. A good programmer tries to learn as many languages as they can, though. And the more languages you know, the easier it becomes to learn new ones. This is much more true with computer languages than natural languages.

Last edited by compton,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from compton

Node.js is the project I’m talking about. It’s not an experiment. It’s an event-based web server that is being used in many production sites:

http://nodejs.org/
http://blog.getify.com/2010/07/why-node-js-rocks-the-middle-end/

The popularity is expanding rapidly and although some of it is hype, it’s can be used as a serious backend for any web-app, especially for apps that get an advantage of event-based processing.

That actually looks quite interesting. Might throw this on my vps later and see what happens ^^ Shame it’s done with javascript though! :P

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

Quoted from flushy

!!!

compton

cvx|

[…]

That actually looks quite interesting. Might throw this on my vps later and see what happens ^^ Shame it’s done with javascript though! :P

You can use http://rubyeventmachine.comEvent Machine[/url] too, if you want to write a web server with a similar architecture using Ruby.

But the performance is pretty much the same.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from flushy

Quoted from octochris

i haven’t been responding here for three days, new threads would be advisable.

:)

Quoted from compton

[…]

It actually comes down to the kind of project you have in your hands. Personal preference comes far away after that.

Yes, obviously the kind of project is important (hence I said “if you can tell c++ and vb.net apart). After that it’s all personal preference. It doesn’t really matter if I write my app in java or c#. It doesn’t really matter if I write my cgi in php or perl.
Also I said “mostly”.

Shifty

OK OC question :D (thanks spike for answering our questions btw now that chris has buggerd of lol)
So i have my AMD 955 BE with a GigaByte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX FRGVSA mobo, and a Scythe Samurai ZZ SCSMZ-2000 as my cooler.
So first of if i OC to 3.6ghz (instead of 3.2) will it get me a significant performance increase ?
Second: I am a bit lazy so i wanted to use the amd Overdrive tool BUT when i try to set the multiplier in adv mode, the multiplier stops at 16x (which is the standard)…wtf ? My cpu is a BE, 100% sure
When i auto OCed it with AOD it gave me a max of 3.85ghz and it increased the voltage to 1.43 …i am not that sure if that is really all that stable since i got a BOS after the AOD autoclock was done i reseted and it gaver me the option to clock it to the last known stable setting, still i wasn that sure.
So is 3.85ghz a “stable” OC on air ? Should i just rise the voltage to 1.5 just to be sure ? (think max voltage for it is 1.62 or something)

Would be great if you could help me (also i added you on steam :D)

Wabbeh

Ok, I haz a nice simples qestion for ya:
What the hell does dpi mean/do for mice. Cos I think it means degrees per inch, but if that’s so, then a 3600 dpi mouse would do 10 360s in an inch…..omghelp?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 11 Next »