Forum

Reviving Capture the Flag?

Created 16th December 2010 @ 20:02

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »

After dropping my old 5cp project due to fundamental flaws I went to brainstorm about what else I could make that is competatively viable. I have some idea’s for an interesting Capture the Flag map. But the current options for ctf in etf2l seem a bit lackluster which seems to have caused a hatefull or atleast “Meh” attitude towards the game mode.

What I would like to hear is: How much would you like to see a brand new, fast paced/action packed ctf map, especially made for competative play?

I already have a rough outline of where I want to be going but I would very much appreciate it if you told me what You would do to prevent a turtle fest.

——
Read on if interested
——

From personal Thoughts and tips from this thread, here is a rough outline of what I was thinking about:

A somewhat wide linear map with some indoor area’s and a lot of outdoor area’s. The teams spawn at the side of the map. between middle and their intelligence but still fairly close to mid.
At the beginning of a 10-minute round there would be a fight on the centre where the winner is rewarded with a far better attacking route. However there is nearly always an oppertunity to send some one to the enemy base after you lose the initial fight. This is caused by the fact any spawning team member can get to middle quite easily unless the opponent is actively defending it.
Once a team controlls the enemy side and the advantageous position they can be attacked from all sides while they attack the area with the briefcase.
The map has a lot of flanks that cannot be covered all together from one spot and there is constant risk of the defending team taking the weaker route to attack the aggressor.

Two long trains will ride close to each other through the middle of the map over the entire length of the map (two obstructions being at the edges of the centre). The trains will be made into an active part part of the map causing minimal obstruction with passes going over the track but still provide an interesting temporary path to or from the briefcase.
To maintain high paced gameplay:
– The intelligence will return fairly fast, about 10-20 seconds.
– The map will be rather small, about the same size as turbine.
– There will be no single point along the map from which you can defend all routes.
– The area around the briefcase will be made hard to camp around.
– All things possible will be done to discourage using an enginier.

Last edited by Cycl4mate,

jukebox

broder

don’t want ctf maps, i’d rather play koth

Not here

i wouldnt mind a really good competitive ctf map for etf2l. just make it so that to get to the intel there a many routes so that just camping the intel wouldn’t work efficiently for the defending team.

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Bring back turbine <3

Quoted from jukebox

don’t want ctf maps, i’d rather play koth

Could you be more explicit? Do you not want a ctf map because you want a koth map as “the new map”? or do you think ctf is just a bad game mode and koth is simply a possible alternative.

Quoted from Not here

i wouldnt mind a really good competitive ctf map for etf2l. just make it so that to get to the intel there a many routes so that just camping the intel wouldn’t work efficiently for the defending team.

I would say three (or two and a half :D) routes can be plenty, as long as the attackers have some way of breaking in and as long as there are no OP sentry spots, thoughts?

Quoted from CommanderX

Bring back turbine <3

TURDbine more like… ya i know lame as hell

octochris

(0v0)

ctf is a horrible gamemode for 6v6.

jukebox

broder

Quoted from Cycl4mate

bad game mode

Last edited by jukebox,

Quoted from octochris

Turbine has been a succesfull and popular map for a long time in the past, what makes the concept bad for 6v6?

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Cycl4mate

[…]

Turbine has been a succesfull and popular map for a long time in the past, what makes the concept bad for 6v6?

but has it really been popular and sucessful?

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

but has it really been popular and sucessful?

Its been in previous mappools, and must therefore have had some popularity and I would also argue that its been somewhat successful

rAye.

Vuze.
T.

<3 some turbine

archy

turbine was once a very popular map as far as im concerned. but i guess since it was the only league map where ctf could be played on, it eventually became boring… I guess if there had been more ctf maps than just turbine for league play(and therefore more variety), then ctf wouldnt have died for 6v6.

there have been some suggestions to split the 30 minutes on turbine up into 3 parts though. a suggestion that is worth considering, because not the map itself was boring, but the way it was played.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from octochris

Not really. But would need different maps and flags like q3 (instant return when you run over it). Would speed things up a bit.

Steve

Quoted from CommanderX

Bring back turbine <3

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Not really. But would need different maps and flags like q3 (instant return when you run over it). Would speed things up a bit.

I’m really a fan of this idea. A map with quick returns, lots of space to move around and 10 minute rounds sounds really fun, at least to me it does.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »