Forum

Would ETF2L be better off without wildcards?

Created 25th November 2013 @ 16:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Dr. Heinz

★GF
KAAS

Quoted from Limp.

No.

Hallow

P.O.P

Rather than 1 hour before games, how about no wildcards after 20 CET on game night?

droso

o/

That’s when they’re the most useful.
That’s usually during the first pcw that your maincaller, who hasn’t played all day, notices that he has terrible routing to all servers or that his mouse is broken for example ( both of which happened with webone. For real )

Wildcarding 15 minutes before an official is sometimes the only solution you have.

kaidus

WiK?

That happens far less than people using bullshit wildcards.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from kaidus

That happens far less than people using bullshit wildcards.

If people use bullshit wildcards, when they actually need one they’re fucked right?

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

If people use bullshit wildcards, when they actually need one they’re fucked right?

Isn’t that enough of a reason to get rid of the bullshit ones?

Dingo

HG
cirlo

Am I the only one that used his highlander team’s wildcards immediately at the beginning of the season so that we could focus on 6v6 more (especially since my 6v6 team had 4 matches between week 7 and catch-up week)?
Anyway, I think they are fine as they are now.

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

No? It’s entirely plausible that teams can go through a season without needing both, or even one wildcard. If teams only had one to begin with then they may guard it closely, but when they have one to blow with another left over then there’s really very little risk involved.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]
Isn’t that enough of a reason to get rid of the bullshit ones?

They’re the same ones. The point is that there are no bullshit wildcards.

Fresh, we needed both our wildcards last season, I beg you please stop trying to get rid of them.

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from b33p

[…]

They’re the same ones. The point is that there are no bullshit wildcards.

i’m not surprised you would miss the point he’s making so i’ll try to help:

if there are no rules considering wildcards then technically “there are no bullshit wildcards”. what people are discussing here is whether subjectively bullshit wildcards do exist

– 15 people on roster, 1 can’t make it, instead of using subs/mercs you use a wildcard.
– forgot to practice the map cause too busy catching up last week’s wildcarded game, use a wildcard
– our demo hasnt been online all week we dont know what to do > wildcard
etc

whereas the implied proper use of a wildcard is “we cannot field 9 on the agreed/defaulted time and date due to unforseen circumstances, so we have to use a wildcard”.

maybe if you’re so keen on winning a videogame league the following doesn’t bother you, but what happens when you use a wildcard is you inconvenience the opposing team (and possibly your own); people who have bothered to show up in time, found holes in their very busy schedules, and so on.

SmitZ

Surely the problem goes deeper than the wildcards though? Maybe the scheduling system in ETF2L as a whole is flawed? The only reason I’ve used a wildcard so far this season is to avoid a warning because of a late game, which had to be done because we couldn’t play in the default week. Fuck me for wanting to play when it was convenient, right?

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

What about issuing a Wild Card medal on the team page under the 1st 2nd and 3rd medals, if you don’t use a wild card that season. Something like a silver playing card with WC written on it or something.

Then it’ll deter teams from using them unless they actually need to use them, so they’ll get a nice shiny wild card medal on their team page.
Obviously it wont stop people from wildcarding, but I think it would lower the amount of cases where a wild card would be used.

Vlijm

UbeR |

Quoted from Rob!

What about issuing a Wild Card medal on the team page under the 1st 2nd and 3rd medals, if you don’t use a wild card that season. Something like a silver playing card with WC written on it or something.

Then it’ll deter teams from using them unless they actually need to use them, so they’ll get a nice shiny wild card medal on their team page.
Obviously it wont stop people from wildcarding, but I think it would lower the amount of cases where a wild card would be used.

I lolled.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Rob!

wat

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »