Forum

Would ETF2L be better off without wildcards?

Created 25th November 2013 @ 16:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »

Tomu

BoyBrigade
MEGA$$

Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Ritalin

[d¿s]

wildcards are great, but maybe you could add a rule where wildcarded matches must be played in the same week (or 7 day period) that the match was originally scheduled for. this would save teams having to play 2 or 3 officials in the same week, and would perhaps make league pacing more consistent. might be a bad idea, i’m just throwing it out there.

JoakimMos

BAGC
RUN!

I like the idea of wildcards, the issue is that wildcards is just “open for rescheduling” which causes troubles with two games on several maps against different opponents.

Didn’t ETF2L use to have a catch-up-week? A week in the end of season to play late matches. Limiting the two wildcards to -only- be able to be played in this week would/could potentially limit the troubles, and if a team wildcards two matches, or has two matches wildcarded then they have an issue.

A weakness to this idea is that a team could get wildcarded on entirely by all the other teams and end up playing all their games in one week.

Opens up the point that wildcards potentially has no easy fix. Is there a way to encourage players to.. Actually schedule the matches? It’s not been that rare that we see a “This match won’t be played tonight.”-message in the match comms, when it’s the default date that has been suggested. Why is it (almost/close to) more convenient to wildcard than to try and schedule/reason with a different team to play someday other than the default date?

I think that is of more importance than the wildcards, since the wildcards is a slight effect of not being able to play default dates.

quell

UbeR |

wildcards should be one week and not be used without admin approval imho.

and games should not be allowed to be played after wildcarded deadlines. result gets defaulted and teams get a major warning.

1 wildcard is also much better.

brb stopping life to play these games due to no wildcards

i dont think ive EVER had my team use a wildcard, and it’s not like we’re a bunch of nolifers. we can play varying weekdays and (generally) sundays so..

if your team is only available tuesdays after 21 cest and on thursdays then maybe you shouldnt play in the league at all. or fill up your roster with subs that be true to their name.

Last edited by quell,

Trane

Quoted from quell

wildcards should be one week and not be used without admin approval imho.

I can see a case for the one week length, but the idea of admins having to mediate on every single wildcard request is just ridiculous.

Last edited by Trane,

You can’t let admins decide Wildcards.

– need more manpower for that
– would be called biased if we have a player on our friends list, let alone if we are actually friends/dislike each other.
– no ground to reject anyone’s Wildcard. What is a bad wildcard and what is a good reason to refuse someone using it? “Oh I don’t think you guys not being confident on this map is a good Wildcard reason.”

Kaneco

Honestly I think wildcards are fine, they have a very specific purpose and are really useful.

If anything just restrict wildcard conditions, like for example you can only use it until 1 day before the match, not 15 mins before, or 1-2 hours before at least.

Honestly I think the system is working fine apart from some very specific abuses

aura

disable wildcards for week1 and allow to use wildcards only 1 hr before the game so the opponent does not waste time warming up for maps they won’t need for another week. Saves up the time that could be put into different maps.

also this:

Also I’d really prefere if wildcards had to be used an hour before the game. It’s super annoying when a team tells you they will 90% wildcard their match tonight, but will wait till the last minute to do so. It means you have to waste your evening preparing for the match on the off chance it still goes ahead. It’s also very rare that games get wildcarded for a sudden emergency, it’s normally something that is forseen far in advance but rescheduling has ceased to be an option.

Last edited by aura,

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Trane

[…]

I can see a case for the one week length, but the idea of admins having to mediate on every single wildcard request is just ridiculous.

i’m not sure how many there are used, but mediating would serve no further purpose except that the team wildcarding needs to have a reason ready for using the wildcard (which can be anything from we’re missing our carry to half the team got into a car crash at LAN and is hospitalized).

this reason will then be publicized on the match page.

what this does is public shaming for bullshit reasons, and that always helps.

@Reservoir Dog
admins “approving” wildcards just serves as a formality. hardly requires manpower! (esp if combined with a 1 or 2 hour deadline before match starts)

Last edited by quell,

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Bulow

GG

Have to agree with Kaidus, teams tend to use their wildcards quite readily at the beginning of the season for reasons that aren’t really what a wildcard is for. The theme I’d draw, and this comes out from what scissors and Quell have said, is that there needs to be a change in culture whereby wildcards are used when there is a legtimately last minute reason why you feel your team is unable to play. The idea of making admins validate wildcards may mean more work etc with th current level of wildcarding, but perhaps an extra hoop to jump through would lead to teams not actually using them? Especially if our overworked admins failed to respond to their request in time, forcing them to default loss (or play using their subs?).

One other thing that might help to reduce the number of games that are wildcarded might be to force games to be scheduled two game weeks in advance. I don’t buy into the whole ‘I can’t stop my life to play videogames!!’ argument, since literally every single person on etf2l is choosing to spend their time playing a game with additional rules and restrictions and formality, so you’re shafting some other people if you fail to play a match at an agreed upon time.

How about some sort of weighting to scheduling wildcarded games in favour of the team who did not use the wildcard?

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I don’t think Wildcards should be removed or changed, 2 is a fine amount. Perhaps the length of time before a match you can use one should change, say an hour?

Also +1 Admirable, let’s make time for Pre-season playoffs already, we’ve waited 2 seasons for this, time to get with the TIMES man.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from Hildreth

I don’t think Wildcards should be removed or changed, 2 is a fine amount. Perhaps the length of time before a match you can use one should change, say an hour?

Also +1 Admirable, let’s make time for Pre-season playoffs already, we’ve waited 2 seasons for this, time to get with the TIMES man.

+1

Limp.

EPA

No.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from sad-panda

for the other team to wild card at the last minute just because there carry player cant play

If you put together a great lineup of players why shouldn’t you reap the rewards? Something coming up in real life is more important than an official and it’s reasonable to make provisions for that event. Thankfully ETF2L’s merc rules are fantastic so missing one player isn’t a big issue as a default merc is allowed, but if two can’t make it (in hl, demo and sniper for example) due to external circumstances, being able to use a wildcard ensures that we can play the fair game we all came here to play and have the best team win.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »