Forum

Turbine ruleset needs scrutiny

Created 11th May 2011 @ 22:03

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Si^

T2P
[PG]

would it be possible, similar to other CTF game modes in other games touch intel return to base implementation?

Just a thought saying that I don’t think it makes much difference they caped your intel 4 times they had control over the game tis what happens.

Gubbins

Op4

Tbh, I’ve known helberg and evildinner are gigantic faggots and F2 goes without saying.

On a serious note, I really don’t think the rule set is perfect and a lot more thought could have gone in to it since it was a new map and ctf in general was a refresher for everyone.

kaidus

WiK?

Wait etf2l doesn’t use bo3 10 min rounds? Jesus christ I thought those rules were 50% of the reason people liked turbine now.

Last edited by kaidus,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from kaidus

Wait etf2l doesn’t use bo3 10 min rounds? Jesus christ I thought those rules were 50% of the reason people liked turbine now.

winlimit 5 rounds, per 5 one point, max 30 min, time is shared between rounds.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

bo3 with 10 minute rounds I have found most fun.

MR JOHNSON

(^-^)v

Quoted from CanFo

The reason why we chose this design was to reduce the odds of a draw (because nobody likes golden cap rounds).
The “best of 3” format has a far higher chance of draws than this one. If anyone has idea how to keep the odds of a draw low or golden cap rounds suddenly have become popular, do not hesitate to tell us :3

The following are the rules for turbine on esl

ctf_turbine_pro_rc1 will be played with mp_timelimit 10 and mp_winlimit 5. It is played as BO3, which means that the map is played at least twice. You will keep playing until one team has won the map twice. In case of a draw on one map, it doesn’t count. Each map won counts for one point, so the result can be 1:0 or 0:1 for one map. The overall result has to be entered on the match page.

Admittedly the rules could be clearer w.r.t. what constitutes “one map” But I interpret this as, you play each of the BO3 rounds until someone has won them, thus a draw is impossible – now it is arguable (if my interpretation is correct that this can result in some very drawn out games – and that I would say is the con of the ESL ruleset). From personal experience though it is a map that is hard to get a draw on (might differ from how others feel about the map).

The following are the etf2l ruleset:

Turbine will be played with a 30 minute map timer in a round based format. The first team to reach 5 flag captures will win a round. Like Gravelpit, the first team to win 2 rounds will be the winner of the map. If after 30 minutes the teams have won an equal number of rounds, the team leading in captures is the winner. If captures are also equal, a new game with first to 3 captures should be played to decide the winner. The config will handle the round scoring system. Teams can enter “mp_winlimit 2″ to make the winner more obvious.

Now, your rule set do not state clearly how long a GC round should be, it does not even define it as a GC round – for all I know it is a infinite round with winlimit 3; Doesn’t this kind of rule run the risk of creating an extremy cautious play – even if you are down a cap you can still just wait until your opponent make a misstake, likewise when you are up one cap.

But that is not the point. Are you arguing that the esl rules will produce more draws after 30mins of turbine? Just by looking at the rules I would predict that the etf2l rules predict more draws after 30mins (or rather, events that forces the round to become >30min) compared to ESL games of turbine.

Now the spawn positions are another issue .. :D

Last edited by MR JOHNSON,

Dr Icecream

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

after 10 min if the flag caps is 4-4, who wins this round?

Could just continue playing till someone gets the 5th cap

HYS

TLR

Quoted from Sir Remix

[…]
For example on granary in our official. You got one point, won middle, and started holding there. You started writing “nice weather”, and you where definitely not gonna push. But when our scout timed out, you suddenly started pushing. We basicly did the same versus you on turbine.

Nothing personal Chris, but you also said this exact same thing to us on gullywash (the ESL official), so what your saying is extremely hypocritical. I do think you’ve raised a valid point for discussion, which is ESL rules are much better.

It’s a shame to see a league that has been the best and had the opportunity to remain the best throw it away. ESL have capitalised and made the best situation from ETF2Ls losses. But it isn’t in the best interests of the game. I think some damage has already been done but it’s still reversible if somebody can make the necessary decisions that will put this league back on track. ESLs website and anti-cheat are pretty disgusting and I would prefer that the competition in ETF2L is strengthened.

Oh, and lastly, can we stop the “TF2 is dead” comments. Why bother? Go do something better with your time. I can’t understand the reason why you would post that.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from HYS

Nothing personal Chris, but you also said this exact same thing to us on gullywash (the ESL official), so what your saying is extremely hypocritical. I do think you’ve raised a valid point for discussion, which is ESL rules are much better.

“Nice weather” is supposed to lighten the mood when both teams are waiting for the other one to push. How else are you going to take that?

Last edited by octochris,

Dr Icecream

Quoted from HYS

[…]

It’s a shame to see a league that has been the best and had the opportunity to remain the best throw it away. ESL have capitalised and made the best situation from ETF2Ls losses. But it isn’t in the best interests of the game. I think some damage has already been done but it’s still reversible if somebody can make the necessary decisions that will put this league back on track. ESLs website and anti-cheat are pretty disgusting and I would prefer that the competition in ETF2L is strengthened.

Oh, and lastly, can we stop the “TF2 is dead” comments. Why bother? Go do something better with your time. I can’t understand the reason why you would post that.

^ This, I think an open discussion with a couple of players from all divisions would actually help us a lot further than people calling each other names etc

kuma

Don’t think the top teams actually like playing in ESL, it’s just out of necessity since ETF2L went down the shitter.

Tikcus

Quoted from Dr Icecream

[…]
Could just continue playing till someone gets the 5th cap

then it’s not 10 min rounds.

only rule set that would actually work is BO3 (first to 5 caps scores 1 point) mp_timelimit 0, but people will complain about potentially long matches and having to go to bed etc etc (see gravelpit threads when BO3 was introduced)

kuma

There’s a lot of difference between turbine and gravelpit.

1. Turbine is all about momentum, it’s fairly easy to chain cap 2-3 times in a row. On gravelpit, you may lose a point but it’s not so hard to set-up a defence for the next point.
2. Once you have control of the map it’s difficult for the other team to retake it, unlike gravelpit where one mistake costs you.

So in essence, playing turbine without a timelimit is much better than gravelpit, as games shouldn’t last that long anyway. I think the ESL 10min BO3 First to 5 system is fine.

Last edited by kuma,

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

ETF2L rules say:

4.8 ctf_turbine_pro: 5 captures win a round. 2 rounds wins the map. Map timelimit 30

Turbine will be played with a 30 minute map timer in a round based format. The first team to reach 5 flag captures will win a round. Like Gravelpit, the first team to win 2 rounds will be the winner of the map. If after 30 minutes the teams have won an equal number of rounds, the team leading in captures is the winner. If captures are also equal, a new game with first to 3 captures should be played to decide the winner. The config will handle the round scoring system. Teams can enter “mp_winlimit 2″ to make the winner more obvious.

Problem: ETF2L ruleset encourages a team to get to 4 caps and then turtle the intel for the rest of the 30 minute timelimit. They dont even need to cap the 5th, but can wait for time to run down.

ESL ruleset can end in a draw which isn’t wanted by ETF2L. It’s unlikely, but can still happen.

Solution: Make the ETF2L ruleset state the AT LEAST 2 rounds HAVE to be played, then no-one will intel-camp as there would be no point.

Your welcome :)

Last edited by Monkeh,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Monkeh

Solution: Make the ETF2L ruleset state the AT LEAST 2 rounds HAVE to be played, then no-one will intel-camp as there would be no point.

Your welcome :)

Any idea how to manifest this in a config file? And what should happen if only 1 round has been played after 30 minutes?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »