Forum

Turbine ruleset needs scrutiny

Created 11th May 2011 @ 22:03

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from antyjc

So this would only ever happen if the other team wanted to be gay as fuck?

Can’t blame the other team for merely doing what’s advantageous for them. It’s the rules that allow it that are the problem.

Last edited by octochris,

Sketch

MM

why would you wait?

chris i thought you used to be the smart guy of tf2. since you came back everything you have said on the forums has been borderline retarded

Sir Remix

frø
DANMARK

Quoted from octochris

[…]

So having a rule that encourages 6 people camping in one room waiting for the enemy to go 4-4 is a good rule?

No, i’m not saying that it’s a good rule, and i even think that the ESL rules are better. But don’t start a shitstorm when you diddent even do a proper job trying to get the intel.

Also as Canfo said, this could be any map. For example on granary in our official. You got one point, won middle, and started holding there. You started writing “nice weather”, and you where definitely not gonna push. But when our scout timed out, you suddenly started pushing. We basicly did the same versus you on turbine.

Last edited by Sir Remix,

ashkan

The only stupid thing I see in here is people posting when they’re all riled up. Go take a walk and calm down before going to bed. Post tomorrow when your mind is clear, and I’m sure the discussion will become much more constructive.

octochris

(0v0)

Okay, so I got a bit annoyed about it. That’s just because I care about TF2, and don’t like seeing it die in front of my eyes when it gets split between two leagues. That’s what’s going to happen with these compromises that nobody wants. I’m not angry, I just find it very upsetting that people make these sorts of terrible rules that inevitably result in less people playing competitive TF2.

The fact is this: no matter if you’re 4-0, 4-1, 4-2, or 4-3 down, once the opponent has four caps and has taken your intel to their base, they can have all six people in their team sitting in their spawn room, waiting for you to attack. To be blunt: that isn’t fun. This should either be split up into sections that do not interact with each other (best) or changed to windifference (not as good). Either way, having a winlimit with a timelimit that rolls over to the next round is not a very good idea. The result is thus: people will waste time to make it get closer to the end of the game by sitting around in their intel, having the time to set up anything and everything ready for you.

Remix, you say the reason we didn’t get in is because sometimes uber was dropped, and sometimes uber was used too early. Damn straight. There is no way to get into an intel room unexpectedly when your opponent has all of their entrances within 10 metres of them. You are constantly at a disadvantage. To be blunt, it’s not fun. I thought that was what this league was trying to promote, the ‘fun’ side of TF2? Sitting around waiting to get more caps whilst the enemy is just sitting around in their spawn wasting time is not fun. I wouldn’t have expected this league with it’s ‘fun’ ethos to implement something so ill-thought out that merely results in one team being, for lack of a better word, trolled.

I’m not emotional over the match, I don’t care about the specifics of it. The reality is however, having to spend time getting caps when you KNOW that when your get the fourth, it will all be for nothing because your opponent can just cap the 5th one — that is not fun. That is not fun at all. That’s boring and tedious, something I was hoping this league would avoid.

The only reason your opponent would not do this is because they are a.) there for a fun game, or b.) because they haven’t thought it through. Otherwise, every single game will always end in 4-5, because the enemy will wait for you to cap the fourth before capping their last simply to waste time.

Sorry I got annoyed. I’m just really shocked that this league has allowed something like this to pass.

Quoted from Sketch

why would you wait?

Think about it. The time carries over between rounds. The less time the enemy has to get cap points in the next round, the more chance you will win just based on that one round.

Last edited by octochris,

F2

Danmark

it was gg

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

Quoted from octochris

Okay, so I got a bit annoyed about it. That’s just because I care about TF2, and don’t like seeing it die in front of my eyes when it gets split between two leagues.

Chris gets (t)rolled on turbine

therefore

TF2 is dying.

Anyway, I’ve played a grand total of four games on turbine with the new rules and they’ve all gone fine. Like someone said, if you’re doing badly enough to find yourself losing the round 4-0 then you can’t exactly blame it all on the rules.

Quoted from octochris

Haven’t you realised yet that this will occur in ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of cases?

It will now that you’ve explained this faggy tactic to everyone in great detail. gj

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Sylosin

Chris gets (t)rolled on turbine

therefore

TF2 is dying.

Anyway, I’ve played a grand total of four games on turbine with the new rules and they’ve all gone fine. Like someone said, if you’re doing badly enough to find yourself losing the round 4-0 then you can’t exactly blame it all on the rules.

I was a merc, what do I care? It’s just a shitty rule.

doks

well if you are in a 4-0 down situation and the enemy team does decide to hold the last cap to gain time – all you can do is try to cap the intels back as fast as you can.
its not that different from a 5 cp map.
lets say one team is leading 3:0 and it is 10 minutes left in the map. and the leading team decides to hold that by not going to mid – making sure they will get an uber – use double engy or pyro/heavy to defend. or maybe defend a point with uber and backcaping middle with 2 scouts gaining again some extra time.
also – if anyone decides to do stuff like this – thats not great sportmanship and if you dont like this game – dont play it.

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

there is no incentive to push because no matter how fucking long it takes you, its 1-0 regardless. we spent 15 minutes shouting at each other in mumble explaining the rules xDDDDDDDDDD

doks

Quoted from howdeh

there is no incentive to push because no matter how fucking long it takes you, its 1-0 regardless. we spent 15 minutes shouting at each other in mumble explaining the rules xDDDDDDDDDD

lolwut ?
if you dont push – you lose. if you push and get back 4 caps they will be forced sooner or later to cap the 5th. so the sooner you push, can cap – the sooner you get a chance for a new round and get the caps yourself to 5.

Last edited by doks,

octochris

(0v0)

The thing that gets me most is that we’re using winlimit. That’s the primary difference from, say, waiting around in 5cp. In 5cp you can claw it back. You can’t claw it back when your enemy has your intel and is simply waiting for you to cap four so they can cap it — you will never win if they do that. So you are doing work for no reason.

MR JOHNSON

(^-^)v

Personally I prefer the ESL 3×10 winlimit 5 format, if anything else it’s way more straight forward, but it also provides a nice clean break between rounds. I would love to hear the motivation for the etf2l system over the ESL one.

Now this game not withstanding; do anyone actually prefer the etf2l system, and if not (making the assumption here) why not try to equalise the rules between leagues – in the case of how turbine is played it really shouldn’t be that hard.

octochris

(0v0)

Sorry that I got mad in this thread. I didn’t mean the shit I said. I’ve just been having a bad day, a bad month even.

But seriously, let’s put some scrutiny on this rule. Is this really how we want Turbine to be played?

doks

Quoted from octochris

The thing that gets me most is that we’re using winlimit. That’s the primary difference from, say, waiting around in 5cp. In 5cp you can claw it back. You can’t claw it back when your enemy has your intel and is simply waiting for you to cap four so they can cap it — you will never win if they do that. So you are doing work for no reason.

well as i said – the sooner you cap back the 4caps the sooner they have to end the round AND you get a chance to play a new round and win that.
do you have a better idea how to play turbine ? most caps win ? http://etf2l.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2009_09_14@23_10_18.bmp will end up like this wich is even more pointless and impossible to cap back.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Next »