Vanilla + medlocks (+ maps, apparently)

Created 3rd May 2011 @ 15:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 ... 46 Next »

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from bulletproofsmurf

[…]

eq is the main culprit imo.

most teams we play cant buff both sollies to 300 before getting to badlands mid with it, (in good time) so most lower div games like ours are all about who can jump the enemy medic first.

it’s boring to play unless youre a solly yourself and like suiciding on mid every time

So you would rather have a game that is often determined by who can jump to middle correctly and get an instant positional advantage, rather than who can skillfully combat the enemy at the actual control point.

Hmm. Am I the only one who doesn’t care if soldiers arrive at middle with 300 HP. Am I the only one who doesn’t care if soldiers can get to middle easier / faster on one particular map? I’d rather see teams arrive at the point on equal terms, and then have the best team win the mid fight, rather than just who got the best rollout.

Dummy

Quoted from AcidReniX

[…]

So you would rather have a game that is often determined by who can jump to middle correctly and get an instant positional advantage, rather than who can skillfully combat the enemy at the actual control point.

Hmm. Am I the only one who doesn’t care if soldiers arrive at middle with 300 HP. Am I the only one who doesn’t care if soldiers can get to middle easier / faster on one particular map? I’d rather see teams arrive at the point on equal terms, and then have the best team win the mid fight, rather than just who got the best rollout.

I would prefer having the team with the best rollout and the best mid strat win, not just a team who can do 1 of those correctly

bulletproofsmurf

Vuze.

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
I would prefer having the team with the best rollout and the best mid strat win, not just a team who can do 1 of those correctly

couldn’t have put it better myself

dauk

Quoted from AcidReniX

[…]

well if you say the best team > more skillful team then you should include rollout factor, since it requires quite of skills to do ir correctly.

Also I understand how you do not see any disadvantages in cinnamon, as I believe you play scout. Not starting a class discussion, but scout class has the less chances to get into “I can no do anything at this point” situation. Ye I play most op class, but demo is also the class that can get into those situations when you have no way to deal with it. I’m referring especially to equalizer: you damage the solly and keep mid distance, after big battle you don’t have much stuff reloaded and you reload -> shoot, and immediately he pulls his eq and charges to you leaving you helpless.

The point is not to complain that sollies kill me, but to say that certain unlocks when used leave no possible way to do something for opponent.

xzr

There are alternative tactics for middles that can be very effective. You can use them should you have a person or 2 in your team who are a bit slow in getting to the middle.

No eq needed.

Last edited by xzr,

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from AcidReniX

So you would rather have a game that is often determined by who can jump to middle correctly and get an instant positional advantage

Yes.

Hmm. Am I the only one who doesn’t care if soldiers arrive at middle with 300 HP.

Yes.

Am I the only one who doesn’t care if soldiers can get to middle easier / faster on one particular map?

Yes.

I’d rather see teams arrive at the point on equal terms, and then have the best team win the mid fight, rather than just who got the best rollout.

I on the other hand, would much rather see the most overall skilled team win.

Last edited by Skyride,

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

I guess I don’t put to much value on praising a team for being better at travelling from the respawn to the mid CP. There was me thinking that arriving at the same time, both with full HP and then winning the fight required more skill than the skills needed to rocket jump slightly better, and then have a positional advantage right off the bat.

But I guess more importantly, I don’t care about soldiers arriving at the same time with full HP and each jumping on each other’s medic. That’s what the metagame of TF2 has become… if you don’t like it, maybe you should be pro unlocks, since the direct hit (or a number of other unlocks) would drastically reduce the effectiveness of this strat… more so than a soldier arriving with slightly less health.

Last edited by AcidReniX,

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from AcidReniX

I guess I don’t put to much value on praising a team for being better at travelling from the respawn to the mid CP. There was me thinking that arriving at the same time, both with full HP and then winning the fight required more skill than the skills needed to rocket jump slightly better, and then have a positional advantage right off the bat.

But it isn’t either/or. Without the equalizer, both teams need to do both of those things correctly to win. Rocket jumping is one of the most interesting movement mechanics out of all FPS games, it was a huge thing in Quake and it’s a huge thing in TF2. It’s not even like jumping to mid properly is a particularly difficult thing to do.

But I guess more importantly, I don’t care about soldiers arriving at the same time with full HP and each jumping on each other’s medic. That’s what the metagame of TF2 has become… if you don’t like it, maybe you should be pro unlocks, since the direct hit (or a number of other unlocks) would drastically reduce the effectiveness of this strat… more so than a soldier arriving with slightly less health.

Or we could just get rid of the equalizer which massively increases the risk of this tactic. It’s a completely valid strategy and I’m not saying we should try to get rid of it, It’s just that having it happen every single round is incredibly boring.

Last edited by Skyride,

xzr

Movement plays a huge part in any fps game. To be a top dog you need to be able to get yourself into a favourable position by your maneuvering. If you can’t do the basic rollouts properly, you don’t belong in the top tier.

Last edited by xzr,

octochris

(0v0)

Hey guys, I can do medic rollouts!

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from octochris

Hey guys, I can do medic rollouts!

damn son, teach me, been failing ever since

bulletproofsmurf

Vuze.

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

But it isn’t either/or. Without the equalizer, both teams need to do both of those things correctly to win. Rocket jumping is one of the most interesting movement mechanics out of all FPS games, it was a huge thing in Quake and it’s a huge thing in TF2. It’s not even like jumping to mid properly is a particularly difficult thing to do.

[…]

Or we could just get rid of the equalizer which massively increases the risk of this tactic. It’s a completely valid strategy and I’m not saying we should try to get rid of it, It’s just that having it happen every single round is incredibly boring.

+1

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Anyone else use the equalizer for other things than as a small tool to get to middle with more health?? I personally use it so i don’t have to rely on my medic as much, i can wander a bit more and if needed actually move away from danger at a decent speed (say spam roller nades at a choke point) rather than moving away like a slug. This just means i’ll have to stick to the medic more and get more heals as i’m too slow to get health packs otherwise as it would leave the medic open to attack for longer (if im playing pocket).

The damage buff has been nerfed by valve and anyone intelligent can avoid dieing from an equalizer. Its just a weapon that makes Solider a less boring and shit class to play tbh.

xzr

Quoted from Tapley ❤

The damage buff has been nerfed by valve and anyone intelligent can avoid dieing from an equalizer. Its just a weapon that makes Solider a less boring and shit class to play tbh.

And allows you to flee from situations where your poor gamesense has taken you and where you would normally die. (Get punished for your misread of the situation)

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

He wouldn’t get in those situations if he didn’t have the equaliser, his game sense tells him he can, because he has a quick way to escape.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 ... 46 Next »