Forum

Ban Natascha?

Created 15th June 2010 @ 11:44

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 11 Next »

kuma

Quoted from Exfane

[…]

fixed it for ya.

First off running 2 natascha heavies is the same as running 2 normal heavies, they are only effective when defending a point (like last point). Its a valid tactic, turtle idea, but is counterable effectively.

Second, i would like to know what these heavy buffs are you’re talking about, you can’t seriously be talking about the little faster the heavy weapon spins now do ya?

Third, which team using 2 natascha heavies did you loose so badly to that you made this post?

:D

Yeah, of course, I only passed off the OP as fact, everything else said in the discussion should be taken as opinion.

Again, I’m not necessarily talking about 2 heavies, but the Natascha.

It counters:
– Soft pushes without an uber
– RJs
– Scouts

Countered by:
– Sniper/Spy
– Flanks
– Focused spam

So the Natascha promotes an even more uber-centric, pick orientated metagame as opposed to the current style. On points without an adequate flank route and no good sniper spots, it is very effective at suppressing aggression (RJs) and limiting heal distribution as the medigun is forced onto the Heavy’s target.

The buff also includes movement speed while spinning, but it’s more the fact that people use a Heavy much more now in scrims than before.

Snyyppis

RLM

Quoted from stko!

+1 for a ban — at least until the “walking through jelly” effect has a drop-off over distance. In its current state it’s not enjoyable to play against.

+1, I don’t mind the effect close range, that’s just your own fault getting so close to a heavy, but when a heavy can effectively stop you from jumping from the doors on granary last while standing on the point himself … ridiculous.

xzr

Quoted from octochris

[…]

defending last is not the “majority of situations”, unless you are getting rolled 5-0 in 10 minutes or something

defending last happens quite often in any game :)
just as there’s middle fights, second point fights, etc

rAye.

Vuze.
T.

what i dont get is, the direct hit is banned, and natasha heavy isnt. it’s clearly overpowered and the best counter for a heavy is the direct hit. you cant say that “oh they have heavy they are slow and immobile.” with this slow down effect and slightly faster movement during spin down the heavy can avoid spam easier and can just mow the enemy down making them unable to avoid any spam from the heavies team.

people say the direct hit slows gameplay down, the heavies natasha makes gameplay so boring. i hate playing with heavies on my team cos i know how boring its gonna be.

Monkeh

.:ne:.

I understand all the points raised here, but why does everything new or different to the standard need limiting or banning. Agreed the slow down should drop off a bit from distance but if you honestly cant counter the fat boy then your doing something wrong. Snipe him, back stab him, focus spam on him even sticky trap the fat bastard but there’s no need for a ban.

Just because it’s annoying to play against isn’t a good enough reason to ban everything. Good snipers are annoying, getting backstabbed just as you get uber defending last is annoying, running into a sticky trap is annoying, hey guess what, losing is annoying, but it’s all counterable, (if that’s a word?).

Natascha defending last? Backstab the bitch. Cant jump on him? Snipe it. 2 Nataschas? What have they dropped? Both scouts? Awesome back cap time. Both soldiers? Your scouts have no splash to worry about. 1 of each? Bit of both.

The beauty of this game, imo, is it’s variation. How many competitive games out there have the variety of classes/weapons that TF2 has? Losing is always annoying, but losing to a tactic that makes you completely re-evaluate which classes are worth using, is a different matter entirely. It’s what keeps the game fresh and interesting.

Just my 2p.

xzr

Quoted from Shintaz

[…]

1. See: Demoman
2. See: Sniper
3. See: Getting shot at the feet by a rocket
4. See: Kritzkrieg

So by your logic, let’s ban demomen, sniping, shooting rockets at peoples feet and focusing targets. Awesome.

1. pfft traps r for newbs
2. being an annoying sniper requires a lot more skill than being an annoying nat heavy
3. pushing it a bit, don’t you think :p
4. you are trading off invulnerability for a moderate time, which is quite huuuuge maan

For the record imo natascha is a good concept, it is just poorly implemented atm. A range fall off on the slowdown would be the perfect fix, atm getting totally frozen from long range is just totally retarded and annoying.

Granted you can claim that a heavy is easy to drop with a sniper, but getting a full charge headshot on the heavy when pushing gran last is nothing short of fucking hard. Atleast when playing teams who can actually spot the sniper and do something about it.

kuma

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

as far as you are concerned, spectators like games that are end to end, and if you want my opinion to improve tf2 as far as spectators care, it’s the uber charge that needs removing!

Spectators get bored watching 2 teams grind uber, if they don’t know TF2 they don’t know what’s happening and they switch off, so to improve tf2 as a spectator sport ban medics from using an uber, the thought is rediculous.

Don’t try and justify a reason to ban unlocks to try and improve viewing.

If a natasha heavy allows a team to defend last and push back out so be it, watching a team push out from last is alot more fun than watching a team roll

*edit*

on a side note, we a lowly division 6 clan, ended up in a mismatched PCW on badlands against a div 4 team, we were quickly 3-0 down, we went ok not working so to mid we ran 2 sodleirs, a demo, and 2 heavies, we ended up losing 4-2.

if we had stayed with the conventional setup, we’d have lost 5-0.

Let’s not cripple the chances of lesser players using better tactics to their advantage, just because some ‘better’ players don’t want to learn to counter it or adapt their tactics in any way.

This would be like FIFA or the FA saying every team has to play 4-4-2, even though in certain games they would be at a massive skill disadvantage, where if they were allowed to play 5-4-1 and keep 10 men behind the ball they may have been able to upset the odds and get a result against a stronger team

I understand where you’re coming from Tik, and it’s partly Valve’ fault for introducing the concept of the hard counter in this game. Right now, some unlocks hard counter others, and in these cases the game becomes more about who chooses the right items for the right area.

You could say the game is more tactical because of this, but I feel it’s an artificial way of introducing tactics into a game which is traditionally more focused on strategy. A smart choice of items do allow a less skilled player to close the gap between a more skilled player, but is that really what people want?

I guess it depends on what kind of game everyone wants. A skill-centric game with limited choices (Quake), a tactical game with little skill (WoW), or both (Starcraft).

Quoted from xzr

[…]
1. pfft traps r for newbs
2. being an annoying sniper requires a lot more skill than being an annoying nat heavy
3. pushing it a bit, don’t you think :p
4. you are trading off invulnerability for a moderate time, which is quite huuuuge maan

1. Even div1 players ARE newbszszs sometimes
2. I’m a good sniper when bodyshots come into play :D
3. NO. YOU’RE PUSHING IT.
4. ye tru. but, the point made in the first post was that it only amplifies damage because of the fact it makes targets “easier to focus”. That’s the point of the gun and imo is an invalid argument.

Last edited by Shintaz,

xzr

Quoted from Monkeh

Natascha defending last? Backstab the bitch. Cant jump on him? Snipe it. 2 Nataschas? What have they dropped? Both scouts? Awesome back cap time. Both soldiers? Your scouts have no splash to worry about. 1 of each? Bit of both.

back cap last? quite viable in the majority of situations.

stko!

-9m-
-9m-

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

most weapons are not enjoyable to play against :p especially those demo mens sticky launchers

Annoying is NOT a reason to ban

Dude… I didn’t say it was annoying — I said it wasn’t enjoyable. If I am not mistaken, this community has been built on the foundations that the game is actually fun to play? The existing vanilla weapons must have fulfilled that criteria at some point or we wouldn’t still be here.

Regardless, even if you remove the “enjoyable” statement my argument still stands — the movement effect needs to be addressed before the weapon can be seriously considered for 6v6. Otherwise, all you’re doing is encouraging…

HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL! TURTLE POWER!

kuma

Quoted from rAye.

what i dont get is, the direct hit is banned, and natasha heavy isnt. it’s clearly overpowered and the best counter for a heavy is the direct hit. you cant say that “oh they have heavy they are slow and immobile.” with this slow down effect and slightly faster movement during spin down the heavy can avoid spam easier and can just mow the enemy down making them unable to avoid any spam from the heavies team.

people say the direct hit slows gameplay down, the heavies natasha makes gameplay so boring. i hate playing with heavies on my team cos i know how boring its gonna be.

This is a very good point I want to emphasize, that being some counters to the Heavy (i.e. DH, Buff Banner, Crit-a-Cola) are banned limiting the ways to counter it. It’s a situation where now that we’ve banned some items, the unlocks they were supposed to counter become less counterable than first designed.

We should either allow everything or nothing.

For example, if we do ban the Natascha/DH now but allow Gunboats, you’ll get what is currently seen in NA. Medics are quitting left and right because they are constantly suicided on by roaming Soldiers.

Last edited by kuma,

kuma

Quoted from Shintaz

[…]

1. See: Demoman
2. See: Sniper
3. See: Getting shot at the feet by a rocket
4. See: Kritzkrieg

So by your logic, let’s ban demomen, sniping, shooting rockets at peoples feet and focusing targets. Awesome.

Yeah Shintaz, I completely agree with you, the other items are banned for equally redundant reasons but the Natascha is still allowed.

What I’m saying is, the DH is banned because it slows down the game by preventing RJs and it one-hits Scouts close range.

The Natascha does the same thing, but slows everyone down from the other side of the map.

You could even argue that the Natascha is easier to aim than the DH. Then why is one banned and not the other?

Last edited by kuma,

Tikcus

Quoted from kuma

[…]

it’s more the fact that people use a Heavy much more now in scrims than before.

So learn to play against it, god forbid any of the 5 other classes get used, there are 9 classes in the game! TF2 will die fast if everytime a weapon appears for one of the utility classes it gets banned because it adds something new to the game, that changes the fast getting boring 2 sodliers, 2 scouts, demo, and medic lineup

kuma

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

So learn to play against it, god forbid any of the 5 other classes get used, there are 9 classes in the game! TF2 will die fast if everytime a weapon appears for one of the utility classes it gets banned because it adds something new to the game, that changes the fast getting boring 2 sodliers, 2 scouts, demo, and medic lineup

Did you read my reply? :o

Monkeh

Quoted from xzr

back cap last? quite viable in the majority of situations.

They were all meant as seperate situations. If the nme run 2 nataschas and no scouts then you’ll back cap easily. Not back cap last natch.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 11 Next »