Forum

I46 - 24th - 27th August - The official HYPE And Questions Thread!

Created 8th May 2012 @ 11:27

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 30 31 32 ... 45 Next »

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

What about 2 group stages if time allows it?

Top teams receive a bye to the second group stage. During the first group stage (which will be more competitive as well) the top teams can play ‘exhibition’ matches.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

In other news the kind folks over at Multiplay have now donated over 540 quid to the cause by donating 6 free tickets to our Americans friends! Also all this extra exposure and american viewers for the tournament will attract a big sponsor for the i46 tournament so fingers crossed it wont just be a big cash prize we’ll also get some amazing hardware prizes too!

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Tapley ❤

In other news the kind folks over at Multiplay have now donated over 540 quid to the cause by donating 6 free tickets to our Americans friends! Also all this extra exposure and american viewers for the tournament will attract a big sponsor for the i46 tournament so fingers crossed it wont just be a big cash prize we’ll also get some amazing hardware prizes too!

o/
IM SO HYPED!

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Nice one Multiplay. 30 days until the greatest TF2 LAN in the history of everything. I am both hyped and excites.

HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!!HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!! HYPE!! EXCITE!!

Last edited by Monkeh,

Greg

TEZC

I have been to many multiplay events, and this exact thing has been brought up in the css tournaments around i34, the major thing from the multiplay side/css admins is that this is a full community event, the top games/teams come behind everyone having fun. How many people can say that as they were in div3/4 at LAN and didn’t enjoy there opportunity to play against the best teams? I still remember scout headshot wallbanging fatal and jafro from zboard at i30, I still remember headshoting dunc at i40 and having a laugh with him afterwards. This opportunity should not be removed.

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from Greg

I have been to many multiplay events, and this exact thing has been brought up in the css tournaments around i34, the major thing from the multiplay side/css admins is that this is a full community event, the top games/teams come behind everyone having fun. How many people can say that as they were in div3/4 at LAN and didn’t enjoy there opportunity to play against the best teams? I still remember scout headshot wallbanging fatal and jafro from zboard at i30, I still remember headshoting dunc at i40 and having a laugh with him afterwards. This opportunity should not be removed.

Yeah exactly.

I remember at i40 our division 4 team nearly beat FB on cp_well, and poop hit 40 frags or something disgusting. You’d be removing that opportunity for some lower division player to show their worth in an offline event.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Part of the charm has always been mixing the pubbers with the pros and having 64+ teams with the majority of them being community teams, the priority should be the accomodate them to have the best LAN possible, after all they’re the people who will make the event great. The group stages tend to be a bit of a waste of time for the top seeds sure, but it is part of the charm of an i-series, and the knockout system format has never ever been an issue if you ask me especially with the double elimination format.

If you can fit a way in the schedule to keep it the same until you get to the last 6 or so teams and work out another method to fit more matches in then sure why not. If you want to get nearly every Prem/Invite team playing eachother in the latter stages, when they get to the latter stages get them doing some sort of mini-tournament or something, I am sure somebody suggested something good that would work already. Having the Prem teams skip the group stages on the Friday wouldn’t make any difference unless you wanted to seperate the community and that would be a bad idea.

Quality, intense games are still going to happen, that much is for certain even if we might not see TCM play LG or something.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Might be a bit much being thrown into their hardest games on effectively the first night ;p

Logistically, it’s looking a bit too difficult to find a correct balance and get a good way of implementing it with a mere month to go. I think getting the seeds right in the groups is going to be the hardest, with so many decent mix teams.

shdwpuppet

I think the issue is one of exciting games. At least over here on the American side, we are used to our lans being nothing but super intense exciting best of threes between the best possible teams. As the format stands, we will see a lot of games between Mix^ and some random pub team. Which is all good and well for the pub team and might be good for some laughs for sure, but it isn’t the quality entertainment that at least eXtv is used to providing LAN after LAN.

There is also the issue of how will the seeding work, I have seen no showing of the actual seeding arrangement based off groups, but there is a concern that two good teams will match-up in the first round of elimination and we will have one of our best games that early. We want as many of the best teams in the ro8 and 4 as possible.

Idk, some things to think about. This event is more geared towards the non professional teams and it seems that a lot of thought hasnt been put into the spectator value, which is fine, that is the type of lan event that the iseries is, cant expect everyone to be like MLG or ESEA LAN.

Still super pumped for the event, rumour in the schoolyard is that 2 teams is looking more and more likely by the day…

Califax

dyn.

* I get the message… Looks like I wasted my time, but gonna let the post sit here anyway *

I had a chance to put two idea’s on paper today, and I believe this is the best one of those two.

Please understand this is just my own braindroppings, and I didn’t read all the suggestions posted here today, untill just now. I don’t know if people agree with me or not… So I’m open to feedback or criticism.

I made this with the following in mind: 60 teams, including 4 premiership teams.
Here’s what i had in mind:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36930036/i46%20tournament-002.pdf

Pool phase:
– 8 Open pools of 7 teams each (56 teams total), all playing each other on 1 map.
– Number #4 of each pool will get seeded into round 1 of the losers bracket.
– Numbers #3 and #2 will get seeded into round 1 of the winners bracket.
– Number #1 of each pool will get seeded into round 2 of the winners bracket.
– #5, #6 and #7 of each pool are out.

– 1 Premier pool for the 4 top teams (Epsilon, Infused, TCM & MixUp), all playing eachother on 2 maps.
– Numbers #3 and #4 will be feeded into winners bracket round 5.
– #1 and #2 into winners bracket round 6.

Schedule after pools:
– Winners R1
– Winners R2 + Losers R1
– Losers R2
– Winners R3 + Losers R3
– Losers R4
– Winners R4 + Losers R5
– Winners R5 + Losers R6
– Winners R6 + Losers R7
– Losers R8 *
– Winners Final *
– Losers Final
– Consolidation Final
– Grand Final

* = possible to combine

Pro’s:
– Can easily be extended for more “open” teams if required, putting 8 or 9 teams in each open pool.
– The premiership teams will face each other plenty of times spread out across the weekend.
– 32 teams from the open pools (8 single elim, 24 double elim) wil get to play in the tournament bracket instead of 12 in total. (Excluded the premier team’s)

Con’s:
– Can not be upgraded to include a 5th or more premiership teams.
– Team’s in the open brackets will have to make it to Winners R5 or possibly Losers R7 before they will have any chance to face a premiership team.
– The numbers #4 of each open pool (8 teams) will have to face single elimination.
– Will require 4 or 5 more rounds to be played then in a 16-teams-double-elim bracket.

Last edited by Califax,

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Quoted from shdwpuppet

Still super pumped for the event, rumour in the schoolyard is that 2 teams is looking more and more likely by the day…

50% bro now go make it happen

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Yep, like i say with possibly 70 teams in attendance and this close to the event, trying an untested tournament method in the biggest lan tf2 have ever seen, im not comfortable with it myself, like i say someone find a full proof format and i’ll listen, but nothing as yet.

Having the stamina to continue to beat shitters for several hours a day is what will make you guys earn your money!

Also moments like this can still happen and make young boys dreams come true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O9cBdpQ9vg

shdwpuppet

Quoted from Russian Guyovich

[…]

50% bro now go make it happen

Are we really at 50% because the stupid chipin plugin never effing updates for me, I even did the trick that hildreth posted :/

Califax

dyn.

I do like and agree with things Greg, R7an & Hildreth are saying, so maybe keeping the old system isn’t such a bad thing…

However the biggest thing that bugs me the most about the old system, is that 20% of the registered players are paying good money coming from abroad to play in this tournament, but 75% of the teams will not get to play past the pools in a 16-teams-double-elim bracket.

(Inb4: “It’s not all about the tournament”. No, but i still don’t like those numbers)

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from shdwpuppet

I think the issue is one of exciting games. At least over here on the American side, we are used to our lans being nothing but super intense exciting best of threes between the best possible teams. As the format stands, we will see a lot of games between Mix^ and some random pub team. Which is all good and well for the pub team and might be good for some laughs for sure, but it isn’t the quality entertainment that at least eXtv is used to providing LAN after LAN.

There is also the issue of how will the seeding work, I have seen no showing of the actual seeding arrangement based off groups, but there is a concern that two good teams will match-up in the first round of elimination and we will have one of our best games that early. We want as many of the best teams in the ro8 and 4 as possible.

End of the day Multiplay lans are largely a community lan and the prize pool would be no where near this size if tons of community teams didnt turn up and pay their money, want a super intense tournament with 4 teams like ESEA, then expect no prize pot!! :]

Just tell the american viewers to tune in on saturday and sunday and skip friday if they don’t want to be “bored” ;), first and foremost this lan is for the people there, to play tf2 at a lan, to be featured on TV, its their money they are spending this is what we guarentee them. You are more focused on your customers (the viewers at extv) and i am more focused on my customers (the lan attendees) thats all it is tbh, which is no bad thing.

As for seedings, the seedings will work as they always have, the top 4 teams will probably not meet each other until at least the 2nd or 3rd game into the knockouts.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 30 31 32 ... 45 Next »