Forum

I46 - 24th - 27th August - The official HYPE And Questions Thread!

Created 8th May 2012 @ 11:27

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 29 30 31 ... 45 Next »

Califax

dyn.

Quoted from Admirable

I would like to see the format proposed by F2, but at the same time I agree with the sentiment of Darn.

I would like to hear the opinions of the teams who show up every LAN with no expectations of being placed.

I attended i43 with a div5 mix team, and we were placed in the pool with Epsilon. I can understand very well that it must have felt like a complete waste of time, and probably wasn’t very enjoyable for them to play us, but we were going nuts for every kill we could get… I remember Buttnose standing up and screaming his lungs out getting a (reflect?)kill on Extremer as a pyro. :P

But i must say i understand F2’s point completely and agree with him to the fullest. It would be an incredibly waste of the opportunity if there are this many top-teams, to not have them all play each other.

Spectators at the LAN will love it, but maybe more important, especially with also having the biggest amount of great casters in VanillaTV and eXtv ever attending, stream-monsters could be in for an incredible show for an entire weekend.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from Admirable

I would like to see the format proposed by F2, but at the same time I agree with the sentiment of Darn.

I would like to hear the opinions of the teams who show up every LAN with no expectations of being placed.

Are we just talking taking them out of the groups then? If that’s the case, then actually I think it would work quite well. Give us a flavour of what to expect later on (semis, finals) if they round-robin Friday.

Generally speaking, for the teams that aren’t expecting to place, there will still probably be a couple of ‘good’ teams in each group, so the 5-0 games are still going to be there.

If you can tie that well enough back into the tree later on then it sound good – although would it mean effectively only one team from each group going through, rather than two? I’m not sure how many groups we’ll have, but there are teams that have lost during groups before to go and beat their group winner later on. I like that almost ‘upset’.

I think Darn is right but the schedule at LAN is usually absolutely rammed, and given the unique opportunity on the top end etc. I think it’s probably worth a try.

F2

Danmark

Yeah, I understand it’s really cool for weaker teams to play against the players they usually only get to see on streams (I have been there myself), but there will be thousands of viewers for this event. From the viewers’ point of view, it would be much cooler to see the top teams play against each other, rather than seeing 5-0 matches galore.

All I’m saying is that the i46 admins should think long and hard about what they are going to do here. It is not an easy decision. Do what is best for the greater good.

PS. From my experience, there is never time to play any “fun matches” (like pcws). So arranging something on the side seems unfeasible.

Last edited by F2,

Brainmaster

GoT<3
#WW

One of the main reasons I wanted to go to i46 is that there is a chance i can play against the staaaaaaarz! Would love to play against the best and have some fun actually xD
But I can understand F2 also. :)

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

I can see both sides of the arguement, perhaps people do want to see the top teams duke it out as many times as possible. However who’s to say how many team get this automatic BYE into the knockouts? :] what if only one american team can make it, do we then promote another euro team? Do we only pick 4 teams? Which 4 teams?

Some people may think, “Why do those teams get it easy? why do they have to play less games get up later and how come i don’t get to play them?”

I think changing things this close to lan causes more problems than it warrents just giving vanilla tf2 a couple more decent matches to cast. With poetentially 70 teams to manage things may just complicate things espcially when it comes down to seeding and time schedules, you’d end up with some groups having 2 promotions others having one.

However i’m always open to ideas so if anyone has a perfect system i’m all ears. If needed i can always schedule in a small tournament at the end for the top 4 teams (2 yank 2 euro?) perhaps along side the highlander tournament, maybe a US rules cup or somthing for the fans?

Trane

I do agree that we should try to find a system whereby the likes of Epsilon, Infused, TCM, Mixup and LG (if they make it) all play each other in casted games.

Also I’d like the idea of some vanilla/extv combination casts (i.e.) extine and pledge or something like that.

How many casters are extv hoping to send across the pond?

Comedian

Quoted from Trane

Also I’d like the idea of some vanilla/extv combination casts (i.e.) extine and pledge or something like that.

we will have extv lads on from time to time.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

I think it all boils down to who Multiplay want to keep happy. The paying customers attending the LAN and looking forward to the chance of a kill on a pro or winning a mid maybe or the sponsors who would probably love to see a whole load of games between the top teams getting casted and probably large numbers watching from both sides of the pond.

I don’t think there is a way of changing the main tournament to incorporate more matches between the top teams, I mean, what would they be playing for? Not sure seeding preference would mean much.

I say playing a round robin tournament is about the only way to go. Get them all to play each other and the top 2 play a final. Any monies left over from the eXtv fundraisaing could be used as prize money? When you squeeze that in is another problem I suppose, but add some cash to the pot and I’m sure gaps in peoples schedules could be found…

ilike2spin

RLM

For this event to go down as the best ever, which is what it’s shaping up to be, it’s all about the top end games. The american team(s) should play vs all the top teams if possible because that’s something that’s great for specs. Obviously the top EU vs EU games will be huge also.

It would be far better as a legacy to have this event with a system to work like F2 proposed than to have the games vs weaker teams, as awesome as it may be for those teams. Would it be possible to have the strongest teams play vs the weakest teams early on to (at risk of being rude) get them out of the way quickly and leave time for the big games?

Nmx

ᴷᵈ

make 2 tourneys ish?

Invitation tourney, big teams.
Open tourney, everyone els.

Winners of open go to invite.

Dunno if there is time for stuff like that but dunno, figure something out for the streams

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Anyone seen this F2 format being used before?
Got a link to how it is structured?

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Things that need to be decided are how many teams would be in this elite group?
Are they just fighting for seedings?
Amalgamation of the two tournaments for the knockout rounds? We need 16 teams promoted. Say if there is 4 in the elite group we need 12 from the normal which means if there is 60 teams you’d need 2 promoted from 6 groups of 10 ( would take too long) or 1 promoted from 12 groups of 5 (only 1 team promoted in each group so seeding for pretty much every half decent mix teams team needs to be accurate or queue tons of whine that people only got to play 4 games :]).
What if other prem teams complain they arn’t allowed in the elite group?
What if people complain of unfair treatment for “elite” teams?

I’m sure most people won’t complain and i’m just playing devils advocate but i get all the whine usually directed at me :].Its all well and good everyone saying to do it, but it needs to be thought about how first.

instag1b

Panda

Quoted from Admirable

Anyone seen this F2 format being used before?
Got a link to how it is structured?

I think he means it would be structured similar to this: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2012_MLG_Pro_Circuit/Spring/Championship

There is a large open tournament to allow people into the pools, which have the seeded players. Simultaneously within the pools (which aren’t yet completely filled), the top players are matched up in a round robin style.

Once the pools have been filled with the winners from the open bracket, the final pool games are played and the seeding commences for the final tournament.

Last edited by instag1b,

stko!

-9m-
-9m-

Quoted from Nmx

make 2 tourneys ish?

Invitation tourney, big teams.
Open tourney, everyone els.

Winners of open go to invite.

I do really like this idea but, as has been pointed out, it has the potential to be an absolute nightmare if there’s no clear divide between the “big” teams and everyone else. I also don’t know what the rules are regarding how tournaments are run — are the admins allowed to essentially decide the rule-set themselves or are their guidelines from Multiplay on how the structure is set?

My opinion, for whatever it’s worth, on the matter: having attended quite a few iSeries events now and taken part in my fair share of TF2 tournaments, it was once a bit of a laugh to play against the top teams as a lower-division competitor. I can imagine those that haven’t had the chance and are into the scene will find it really exciting. However, now that I’ve had my arse handed to me over and over again, I’d rather not suffer the inevitable 5-0 and just go grab a drink from the bar. ;)

Ultimately, as has been said before, it’s about what’s best for the community. It’s been said time-and-time again that there’s never been a better chance to showcase just how incredible top-level matches between EU teams can be — and then there’s the potential of US teams being thrown into the mix. This is a chance we can’t allow to pass us by without taking full advantage.

Someone also mentioned that the schedule can get a little busy — especially if matches run over, teams are late, etc. Removing the top-seeded teams (who could be doing other community-related stuff like interviews, hyping the latter stages, etc, while we’re all playing in the group stages) will allow the weaker teams to still have their fun while reducing the burden of a heavy schedule for those that make it through to the early stages of the knock-outs.

Wow… that was longer than intended. :)

Last edited by stko!,

beta

RaWr ::

Ultimately, we are trying to encourage a better round of group games here.

We could look at a possible Seeding Pot System, I am not sure entirely how this would work though with out numbers of teams:

60 teams, 1-6 seeded into groups, 7-60, split into pots, you play 1 or X team (s) from each of the pots at least (not exactly sure how that will work with numbers). It MAY make some closer games,

Of course, you could look at stuff like: http://www.hltv.org/news/8509-improving-tournament-formats

One interesting point the above raises is the RE-SEEDING after each round of knockouts. Controversial yes BUT it would align to encourage the ‘better performing’ teams to get through the tournament to the later stages.

Champions League System? Pots for Groups, Draw for Knockouts = Both have pros and cons, cons being we could see Man Utd vs Man City round of 16, which you want to see but that early on in the tournament?

Either way, it’s hard to work out and does require a lot of Tappers time planning

Last edited by beta,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 29 30 31 ... 45 Next »