Forum

how YOU can help comp tf2

Created 26th July 2009 @ 06:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 9 Next »

eoN^

If valve will listen to you and make an update with all the fixes you listed im gonna slice my wrists.

HOLD HIM TO THIS!

We want it filmed, youtubed AND in HD!

Spary

If valve will listen to you and make an update with all the fixes you listed im gonna slice my wrists.

HOLD HIM TO THIS!

We want it filmed, youtubed AND in HD!

ilike2spin?

Arnold

DAKKA

i agree with KOVACS on this stupid fov issue.

tbh i still don’t see the benefit of having massive fov other than seeing more and covering more entrances rendering some classes key abillities useless and dumbing down the game immensly.

Covering more entrances means you need less communications which means you need less team work to achieve the same defense.
this is a TEAM based game, treat it as such.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Wow, stop ruining the game.

99% of this shit you guys are talking about are luxuries. I don’t want boats in starcraft just because TA has them.

You don’t need hitsounds. Players make a noise when you hit them. This is just too many quake players wanting TF2 to become quake like.

You don’t need center firing weapons. You can adapt to non center firing ones as has been the case in TFC and TF2 since the games began. This is just too many quake players wanting TF2 to become quake like.

You don’t need a higher FOV. The game is not quick enough to warrent having a higher FOV than we can get allready and part of the skill of playing the game is being observant around you… not being able to see everything on a single stretched screen. Quake players move at the speed of light, it is a fast game, a higher FOV is needed in order to simply track a player. TF2 is a team based game that revolves around pushes and flanks. A higher FOV makes flanks and sneak attacks less likely and ruins a large portion of the gameplay. I don’t care if you can’t see everything… that is the idea.

Now if you are on 4:3 it’s probably time you upgraded your monitor. I suppose next you want a zoom function for players with small monitors so they don’t have a disadvantage over people with huge ones. There will always be people with hardware advantages… or another way to put it, people who have worse hardware than others. If your argument is that you are on 4:3 because you are on a CRT, then grats… you get an advantage with the ultra smooth gameplay. It’s your choice. TFT’s don’t ask you to restrict your HZ to 60 to be balanced (I know it’s a lame argument but i’m in a bitchy mood today ;)

You don’t need to implement scripts to give players an equal playing field. We allready got the wait command removed which stops the imediate scripting of an auto pistol. You can’t stop macros from doing the same job. Do you want to limit the mice people can use too? An auto pistol request is simply a request from people who used to use the autopistol and can’t get used to firing it like 99% of players do… by clicking your mouse over and over again at a constant rate. You want to help the competitive community? Then how about DON’T use a macro and just… play. You will see a player using a macro at lans anyway and on top of that, auto firing pistol isn’t even a really big issue, but god, you don’t have to add a script just because of a few select individuals who will use a macro for it.

RANDOM SPREAD. This is something you can talk about because this doesn’t fit in the same category. I’m fine with the competitive community arguing this case, because there is reason to argue it. I myself don’t really care about random spread, I just accepted the fact a long time ago that my shots might do half the damage of the enemies shots, but it works both ways. I can’t flame you for bringing up this issue though as it does have an effect on competitive TF2. The damage spread needs to be in a VAR though with an option to disable because random spread balances publics. Infact, random spread and damage actually balances competitive play too allowing any class to stand a chance against any other class because one might simply hit for the lower end damage while one hits for the higher end damage. Of course, I think most of the competitive community would rather settle for a few classes being more powerful but deal a constant amount of damage (constant amount of pellets being hit). Not entirely sure if how I put this made sense but I can’t be bothered to go back and read it.

I’m suprised these ones haven’t popped up:

‘Make it so we can have milky, very low quality textures’ … like quake
‘Make it so we can change footsteps and jumping sounds’ … kind of like quake
‘Make it so certain guns make BUZZ sounds’ … like quake
just… don’t go there please.

If you want to focus on real issues. Go for random spread, soldier self damage, the force-a-nature’s mid range ‘air pin’ and Jarate making you unable to rocket/pipe jump. Even though none of these ‘REALLY’ need to be changed, if you feel that you must request something from valve, then at least do something worth while.

compton

cvx|

You don’t need hitsounds. Players make a noise when you hit them. This is just too many quake players wanting TF2 to become quake like.

WRRRROOOOOONG! Quake did it right. Why not copy? If it’s implemented correctly they’re off by default and those who want the sounds can use them. So you can turn them off since obviously YOU don’t want them.

You don’t need center firing weapons. You can adapt to non center firing ones as has been the case in TFC and TF2 since the games began. This is just too many quake players wanting TF2 to become quake like.

WRRRROOOOOONG! Is it too much to ask that the rockets fire according to the fucking crosshair? I don’t think it is. Soldiers of all skill levels still miss rockets and fire themselves because some retarded decoration comes to your way from behind when you’re flying backwards.

And again, if you happen to play Soldier yourself you can shoot your rockets from the right if you want :)

I don’t seem to get a clue from what people want. Some people want this game to be a competitive game, but some people, in ETF2L, want this game to be aesthetically different from other competitive games, arguing that “this isn’t Quake” or “it doesn’t fit TF2”, even when it hurts competitive aspects of the game. The fact that TF2 makes your rockets come out of your ass instead of the place pointed by your crosshair, YES it makes the game UNIQUE, but it also hurts the competitive side, where skill matters instead of some random implementation brainfarts that some Valve coder took as a great idea for the pubs.

But, luckily we have cvars, so people who want the aesthetics can go wank off at their assrockets and people who want to play competitively can get their rockets come out straight.

Unfortuntely some people think there shouldn’t be such cvars because they personally prefer to have the aesthetics. Which seems illogical since nobody will force you to have the hitblips/centered rockets/whatever.

))

AcidReniX

The point is, they aren’t needed yet people are bitching about them like they are a necessity. And no, I don’t want them in TF2 but if they were implemented i’d use them. Of course a center firing weapon would be chosen over a right sided one. It’s more accurate. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s not needed in the game. Learn to adapt.

AcidReniX

Oh and why does a competitive game have to have center firing rockets? Surely having the current rockets is harder to shoot with and therefore MORE competitive?

It is a skill to have to adjust your aim according to the distance a rocket is being fired.

compton

cvx|

LOL :DDD just like it’d be more competitive to have invisible pitfalls on badlands mid where you die instantly if you hit them, you’d just have to remember the places

MORE COMPETITIVE YES IT IS A SKILL TO ADJUST TO ANY STUPID FEATURE OF THE GAME!!!

Darn

rockit like

giev fov dont care bout the rest.

AcidReniX

LOL :DDD just like it’d be more competitive to have invisible pitfalls on badlands mid where you die instantly if you hit them, you’d just have to remember the places

Totally irrelevant. Well played. If that was an issue, I don’t think how ‘competitive’ the game would be would come into question. But most importantly, it’s not an issue…

MORE COMPETITIVE YES IT IS A SKILL TO ADJUST TO ANY STUPID FEATURE OF THE GAME!!!

It’s not a stupid feature of the game. The rocket launcher is on the right hand side of the player, why would it fire straight out at the crosshair? If it did, it would look out of place (which is the reason for it doing so in the first place). So there is the reason for why it is like that (justification), now the reason why you want it to shoot straight forward from the players body rather than his gun at an imposible angle….

Your argument for having center firing rockets is that it is EASIER to aim with or EASIER to avoid damaging yourself. That doesn’t sound like it would make the game any more competitive to me… It just makes it seem like more people would hit airshots by using less skill than is currently needed.

Sure, we all want the game to be easier, because then we instantly become better players. If you are competitive you are striving to become a better player but asking valve to do it for you isn’t the way to go. Practice is.

Norris

I wonder why all the players started playing tf2 in the first place when they can’t seam to accept how the game is like. slow paced, team orientated and not quake or tfc like. maybe the ones who keep forcing this should try out fortress forever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsxa0VqrF0

compton

cvx|

AcidReniX: You don’t seem to understand the basic principle of enjoyable gameplay. It’s called accurate controls.

Accurate controls enable a player to get good feedback for getting things right and getting bad feedback when he/she does things wrong.

Rockets not hitting your crosshair isn’t accurate. It’s an obscured way of aiming that you can adjust to till a certain point, but still results into random deaths no matter what your skill level is. And getting random deaths is the opposite of having accurate controls.

Totally irrelevant. Well played. If that was an issue, I don’t think how ‘competitive’ the game would be would come into question. But most importantly, it’s not an issue…

Because you just used the same argument about rockets: “harder = more competitive”. I simply made up an example that points out the flaw in the argument. Just because an element makes a game harder and isn’t based on a random number generator doesn’t make the game more competitive. The element can also be a source of frustration and worse gameplay.

Willazord

Dont increase the fov, would make flanking impossible.

compton

cvx|

I wonder why all the players started playing tf2 in the first place when they can’t seam to accept how the game is like. slow paced, team orientated and not quake or tfc like. maybe the ones who keep forcing this should try out fortress forever?

http://www.captainsquid.com/go/UniqueDemotivator.jpg

Waebi

‹Con›

and I should point out the pubbies got no fucking clue on how this game really works. ie what affects what etc.

They’re just happy when their sentry is getting kills

^quote of the year. Wub you.

Covering more entrances means you need less communications which means you need less team work to achieve the same defense.
this is a TEAM based game, treat it as such.

that^ is exactly the reason i’d dislike the FOV increase… As a medic I’d absolutely love it, being able to see even more etc, i guess i’d survive quite a lot more…

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 9 Next »