Forum

how YOU can help comp tf2

Created 26th July 2009 @ 06:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

RaCio

GoT²

AcidReniX: You don’t seem to understand the basic principle of enjoyable gameplay. It’s called accurate controls.

Accurate controls enable a player to get good feedback for getting things right and getting bad feedback when he/she does things wrong.

Rockets not hitting your crosshair isn’t accurate. It’s an obscured way of aiming that you can adjust to till a certain point, but still results into random deaths no matter what your skill level is. And getting random deaths is the opposite of having accurate controls.

The controls are accurate, the rockets just do not fire straight out of your crosshair. That does not make it any less consistent. You dont die randomly, you simply missed.

If you want to focus on real issues. Go for random spread, soldier self damage, the force-a-nature’s mid range ‘air pin’ and Jarate making you unable to rocket/pipe jump. Even though none of these ‘REALLY’ need to be changed, if you feel that you must request something from valve, then at least do something worth while.

The jarate thing was ninja fixed afaik.

compton

cvx|

The controls are accurate, the rockets just do not fire straight out of your crosshair. That does not make it any less consistent. You dont die randomly, you simply missed.

You’re just playing with the terms. You can call it ‘obscurity’ instead of randomness, but the experience to the player doesn’t change; if even the best players can’t consistently prevent this from happening, it might as well be random.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

In Teamfortress 2 I like it when the Heavy eats his sandvich.

for science

I have to agree with the Shotgun spread being made into a pattern. I seem to remember someone posting (on gotFrag) some sample damages of the scattergun at medium range against a bot and the damage variation being huge.

It’s obviously good for competition to remove aspects like this, that can make it down to the weapon weather you win a certain encounter than skill. Obviously in the current situation one can say that you can adapt by not engaging where you see a chance that you could lose due to the spread, but this doesn’t really promote proper practice with the weapons, as a lot of “missess” will be put down to the spread rather than the fact “you missed” making it difficult for people to necessarily improve with that particular weapon (beyond a certain point).

As for side firing rockets; although I personally prefer centrally firing rockets (a la Quake etc.) and Grenades, I don’t think (from what I’ve seen of the top soldiers and demos) that this necessarily needs much of a change – it just requires practice – it doesn’t change the matchups (i.e. cost a more skilled player a loss against a lower skilled just because of some “spread” like that shotgun might). So again, although this may be preferable it is not really directly associated with “competitive” play.

Finally the hitsounds.
I think a bit more explanation needs to be given about why they are seen to be useful in games like quake.
Let’s just take the 1v1 Duel-mode for example. A lot of the popular maps on this mode allow for extremely fast play (with the “advanced” movement techniques in the game, which are not present in tf2). This means that players can feasibly cross the entire map in a few seconds. Secondly, ALL the weapons in quake don’t reload – this promotes a LOT of Spam in the game, based on the likely positions for the opponent to be in based on game sounds.

Common ways of “tracking” an opponent down, will be spamming a rocket (or several) at key points in the map (i.e. on hearing a teleport spamming near the teleport exits or nearby, or when hearing the “armor pick” sound at the armor pickups etc.). Because of the high speed, though, it can be difficult to know whether you’ve hit someone one of the routes you spammed a rocket at as you run past (stopping standing still and looking around isn’t really advised), and also once you hear an item pickup sound your opponent is probably running as fast as possible away through one of the several exit routes.

This hitsound allows you to pickup on which route(s) the opponent is using to move around the map, and to chase them down.

There are obviously the other reason it is good – confirmation of RG hits on high pingers or help with LG tracking similarly.

But the fact that the sounds are used to locate fast moving playing in a very fast game makes me think that at least for the projectile weapons in TF2 hit sounds are rather unnecessary. The best use I could think of for them would be hitscan weapons only, particularly useful to confirm hits against scouts (with awkward connections etc.) but then again this is something that really isn’t that necessary as most weapons still have a spread, so although you may have registered a “hit” you can’t be that sure of how much damage it’s done (b/c of the “spread”).

I probably rambled a bit, and a lot of that may not have made sense, but I hope some people at least see what I’m getting at.

Basically: shotgun random spread = bad.
Hitsounds = on hitscan only (if at all)
Sidefiring projectiles = fine.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

What I do miss are clear footsteps (thanks for reminding me AcidRenix :P). This has been pissing me off ever since I started playing tf2 (beta). In CSS I could pinpoint enemies from half-way across the map just by the foodsteps. In tf2 you just don’t hear anything clearly. Except for the machine gun spin-up. Maybe this is because of the background noise on all maps, but it’s really annoying. And imo using sound is just as important as any other skill in fps games. But maybe it would make the game unbalanced, because you could hear a scout run by or pin-point the exact locating of the medic through walls.

tf2dm style hitsounds (different sound depending on damage) for hitscan only ftw!

RaCio

GoT²

On another note, valve should make particle affects be affected by sv_pure2. http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4696/cpbadlands0004l.jpg

baerbel

trick17
trick17

´In CSS I could pinpoint enemies from half-way across the map just by the foodsteps.

that was 1.6 – in css you hear them when they’re right in your face….

i usually hear cloaked spies running by depending on the map, so no change needed imho

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

´In CSS I could pinpoint enemies from half-way across the map just by the foodsteps.

i usually hear cloaked spies running by depending on the map, so no change needed imho

Never played 1.6. But in CSS I could.

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

CSS usually had pretty decent sound, not as good as 1.6 though

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

but then again this is something that really isn’t that necessary as most weapons still have a spread, so although you may have registered a “hit” you can’t be that sure of how much damage it’s done (b/c of the “spread”).

go play on PingTimeout deathmatch server

Lieutenant

Hi, I have an idea too, it might sound a bit retarded but I’d love to play medic if….

They could heal+defend themselves at the same time. mouse2 for heal and mouse1 for current weapon, if you switch to the medigun then mouse2 for uber and mouse1 for heal.

What do you think?

AnAkkk

Maybe TFTrue 2.4 will come soon with some of those features since some people like them (and some don’t, I already see them whining in the TFTrue thread as they did before :P)

eoN^

Hi, I have an idea too, it might sound a bit retarded but I’d love to play medic if….

They could heal+defend themselves at the same time. mouse2 for heal and mouse1 for current weapon, if you switch to the medigun then mouse2 for uber and mouse1 for heal.

What do you think?

You could do that with binds etc… If you really wanted.

infussle

You could do that with binds etc… If you really wanted.

What?
wield two weapons at once..

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »