Forum

Comp.tf - A competitive tf2 wiki

Created 1st July 2013 @ 00:30

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 9 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Sketch

Surely going through the official wiki would just be a pain because we have no etf2l community member as an admin there?

and it’s impossible to arrange that?

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

I’ve added updates to the official wiki on several occasions, so no. There isn’t a problem contributing to it.

Jarppa

Feacon

Quoted from Sketch

Surely going through the official wiki would just be a pain because we have no etf2l community member as an admin there?

I honestly don’t see why there should be a ETF2L community member as a admin at official wiki in order to have articles about competitive play there.

Is some admin going to say “nope” if you create some competitive TF2 related article there right now? (edit: as kKaltUu said, probably not.)

Last edited by Jarppa,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from kKaltUu

I’ve added updates to the official wiki on several occasions, so no. There isn’t a problem contributing to it.

Kaneco

The reception of the site here was completely different from the tf.tv forums , not sure what happened. People are excited and willing to help. It’s just an idea, but unlike a million other ideas this one actually got past the idea phase.

I don’t get why you guys are all being party poopers… don’t want to help? Fine. But the comments here are really disheartening.

Barriers exist on the official wiki whether you want it or not. It’s a set community with set guidelines and the aim of the wiki is completely different. If a guy asks me I don’t know anything about competitive tf2 but I would love to learn, I would say “go to comp.tf”, that was my aim from the start, hence the domain name (which I got offered 70 € for, a couple months after I bought it and didn’t accept the offer). Also it’s much more specific than sending the new guy to the official wiki. If you want to start playing comp I reckon you know the basic game at least.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

As cool an idea as this is, it would actually be so much better to make use of the official wiki because you’re tapping into an already existing userbase and the people who go on there to read up about new stuff/maps/items whatever will stumble across this on a much more regular basis and become interested in competitive tf2. Hell, you could even have comp.tf link to the hub of the competitive section on the official wiki, but there is definitely a userbase here that nobody has thought of tapping into really before…

If you just made pages on the official wiki people wouldn’t magically find the pages linked to competitive tf2 and if you want someone who has no idea about comp tf2 to learn about it sending him to the official wiki where he looks through several pages that may or may not contain information about comp tf2 is not ideal therefore I support this idea about having a wiki for only competitive tf2.

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

Quoted from fishyard

If you just made pages on the official wiki people wouldn’t magically find the pages linked to competitive tf2 and if you want someone who has no idea about comp tf2 to learn about it sending him to the official wiki where he looks through several pages that may or may not contain information about comp tf2 is not ideal therefore I support this idea about having a wiki for only competitive tf2.

And of course if you don’t add the pages to wiki.teamfortress.com you’ll have another spare site people could visit with either unverified or outdated data. And besides that, this is some random guy that does not even promise any advantages besides “more freedom” (which is a non-arguement, if he even checked the official wiki).
And as a last point of critique: who can guarantee that it’s not going to turn out like tf2wiki (ads ridden, unmaintained etc.) ?

I’m still skeptical, especially if there’s an superior, official site available.

Kaneco

Quoted from kKaltUu

[…]

And of course if you don’t add the pages to wiki.teamfortress.com you’ll have another spare site people could visit with either unverified or outdated data. And besides that, this is some random guy that does not even promise any advantages besides “more freedom” (which is a non-arguement, if he even checked the official wiki).
And as a last point of critique: who can guarantee that it’s not going to turn out like tf2wiki (ads ridden, unmaintained etc.) ?

I’m still skeptical, especially if there’s an superior, official site available.

dat ad hominem

This random guy has over 3000 hours on tf2, is an admin on tf2pickup.net, active member of the community and even have done casts for the Portuguese community streams, thanks for the consideration.

If I wanted to run ads I would have run them from start, not implying I can’t ask for donations to support server costs later on but it isn’t even on my head right now…
I still own and maintain a community forum with 6k members from a game that has died and I don’t run ads on that site either.

fishyard hit the nail on the head, that’s probably one of the best explanations

Skyride

DUCS

I’m head admin on /r/tf2, so if there was actual people willing to do the work of adding pages (which I am highly skeptical of), I’m sure I could flex that angle and get on the admin team to allow people to do it.

comp.tf sounds like a solid idea.

Last edited by Skyride,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

fishyard’s comment makes no sense. Compare the situations, if you make pages and sections on the official wiki, sometimes people see them as they browse the wiki. There would be links etc, people get interested and look for more stuff about it. Also you can send new players there, just link a URL to the competitive section of the wiki or link to the page “Standard 6v6” etc. Obviously you wouldn’t link the whole wiki to a new player interested in 6v6. It would have all the same info as comp.tf would have too.

If you make the pages and section on comp.tf, you have no existing people looking at the site except the competitive community (who don’t really need to look at it although it would be interesting), and the only people who view the site are people who are linked to it.

Quoted from Sideshow

fishyard’s comment makes no sense. Compare the situations, if you make pages and sections on the official wiki, sometimes people see them as they browse the wiki. There would be links etc, people get interested and look for more stuff about it. Also you can send new players there, just link a URL to the competitive section of the wiki or link to the page “Standard 6v6” etc. Obviously you wouldn’t link the whole wiki to a new player interested in 6v6. It would have all the same info as comp.tf would have too.

If you make the pages and section on comp.tf, you have no existing people looking at the site except the competitive community (who don’t really need to look at it although it would be interesting), and the only people who view the site are people who are linked to it.

The problem is that there’s no competitive section… therefore finding information about competitive tf2 is harder than it has to be.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Yeah but the whole point of what I’m saying is that instead of writing a competitive section on another site, start one in the official wiki.
I guess what it comes down to in the end is that people can be bothered to write stuff for a wiki they deem as “theirs” and they don’t want to contribute to the official one because it’s not theirs. Still a cool idea, just be nicer if it was easily accessible and advertised for new players.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Everybody that has posted up until now has been way to nice. Let me change that:

You are fucking retarded if you think that building a seperate wiki is better than adding to the official one.

Kaneco

I’m just gonna ignore the insults and just state one last thing, this wiki (at least in my head and my original idea) is not meant to be a conventional wiki, by that I mean, it will work sorts of like liquipedia for team, player and league information and history and also like a compendium for class guides.

Imagining under the medic page having listed all pov demos of the class being played at high level, or all the demo reviews by high level medics. It wouldn’t be useful just for new players but for everyone.

And these sort of things wouldn’t go well with tfwiki policies I reckon, I dont think they would find it funny to have 20 youtube links on one article for example, or have a single page for a player.

I’m just doing something which I think lots of people could use and not only that, that I could also use, and If people like it, well, that’s a win-win situation.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 9 Next »