Forum

Comp.tf - A competitive tf2 wiki

Created 1st July 2013 @ 00:30

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 9 Next »

Kaneco

The idea was born at the beginning of this year, I always had this idea to make a central hub for all things related to competitive tf2, so I bought the domain like in January and decided to start owrking on it. It looked something like this originally screen

I posted about it back in april on tf.tv http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/7700/2#post-112318, and it got a few visits but I never got the motivation back to finish it.

So a few days ago I read on a post around here somewhere about a competitive wiki that had players profiles and it struck me, instead of working on a basic wp site and doing it all by myself a wiki would be so much better for this kind of thing, and besides I could get the community working on it as well…

If you want to help out, just register an account at comp.tf and start writing stuff…

About anything, from class guides, to map guides or even player profiles, everything goes now, if I get enough participation from the community I will start creating guidelines and user groups but for now everyone registered should be able to create and edit.

Let’s make this a point of reference for our scene, if we could manage to write a comprehensive guide for competitive tf2 to where we could direct every beginner it would be great for our scene

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Kaneco,

ash

(Legend)
:D

Why not expand the existing tf wiki?

(genuine question, no idea how that wiki in particular works)

Last edited by ash,

Leif

Great initiative, hope it gets some interest and can be helpful for everyone.
A small note: I think there have been some people that actually tried writing something but eventually stopped, if you look on the forum maybe you can find them and start copy paste that.

Kaneco

Quoted from ash

Why not expand the existing tf wiki?

The existing wiki already has a set userbase and guidelines, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t find it funny if we start adding dozens of pages about competitive play and strats / competitive mechanics, also specific player pages

ash

(Legend)

Isnt that what a wiki is about? adding new content?

and, iirc, they already have – very basic – comp information.

Kaneco

Quoted from ash

Isnt that what a wiki is about? adding new content?

and, iirc, they already have – very basic – comp information.

Yes, but it would be way harder to get content approved on the official wiki. This should give us a lot more freedom to create content

Setlet

The dota2 wiki has a lot of info about tournaments, players and teams. But I guess pub players don’t care about competitive stuff :(

konr

I’ll sit down and add some shit tomorrow

Python

Quoted from konr

I’ll sit down and add some shit tomorrow

Daff

DA!

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Competitive

Jarppa

Feacon

Have you been in contact with Wiki editors at wiki.tf? There are lots of articles about competitive tf2 at the official wiki and I don’t personally see any reason why competitive tf2 should be seperated to it’s own wiki. Some players are really used to using the official wiki as their (primary) information source about everything in TF2.

Also, you don’t need approval on what content you can add. Or well, you may want to ask if there’s interest. But if you read the talk page of “Competitive play”, you can already see that there is interest about competitive things.

If there’s something specific you want to add there, you may want to mention about it first at the talk page.

I would personally approve having map & class guides at the official wiki.

Last edited by Jarppa,

Kaneco

I honestly don’t know whats the problem behind this. this way we can have way more freedom and write pages about famous players history, teams history, leagues history, etc… I doubt that would be accepted on the official wiki.

Also we have much more margin to explore and don’t limit ourselves by the official wiki

Sketch

MM

I am just hoping that valves next shooter won’t be another counter strike game but that it will have the same user interface as DOTA 2

Tf2 is a fun casual competitive game and that is why we love it. I think the wiki is a fantastic idea. When it is up we can just guide new players there .

Last edited by Sketch,

ash

(Legend)

Quoted from Kaneco

I honestly don’t know whats the problem behind this. this way we can have way more freedom and write pages about famous players history, teams history, leagues history, etc… I doubt that would be accepted on the official wiki.

Also we have much more margin to explore and don’t limit ourselves by the official wiki

Because there’s an already existing resource which clearly has interest in comp tf2, so, instead of splitting things further it would be advisable to just work that stuff into the official wiki.

And, tbfh; I don’t think there’ll be a problem if you fill it with stuff like prem player pages; as long as it’s still a wiki and not a 2nd facebook page.

So, have you been in contact with any of the wiki officials yet?

Last edited by ash,

Sketch

MM

Surely going through the official wiki would just be a pain because we have no etf2l community member as an admin there?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 9 Next »