Forum

Team Fortress 2 Mentor Project

Created 16th March 2009 @ 13:26

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

I agree with Iller.

I think you should change the rating system, so that ratings are anonymous, and the ratings are only updated for every 10th rating or something, so that the mentors won’t know who rated them poorly, and the individual people who feel they didn’t receive good mentoring won’t feel very targeted or exposed by giving someone a bad rating.

But on the other hand, if an anonymous gives a mentor a bad rating, the mentor wouldn’t really get any feedback and know what to do better. He would just get a bad rating without knowing what he has done wrong.

Erinome

Well since i have an mentor I will tell you how he helps me.

First of all i played a mix yesterday, was great fun imo we lost but thats not the point.
My mentor asked if he could spectate. I had no problem with that.
He looked at my weak points and at my better points.
After the match he told me what I did wrong.
He told me what I should practice on, and told me on what I should improve.
In my case that is dodging, and not to be so trigger happy.
Aswell as not being too predictable.
I also asked him if he could explain me some tactics on last points of granary aswell as on badlands.
He did this on a way I would understand.
Now I have to practice on these things. And il play some match this week or next week.
I will ask him if he can spectate me. And he will point out my weak points again.
If there are none (not likely though) then his work is done.

*Edit sorry for my shitty grammar ;p

byte

Glad you had success with your mentor Erin :), the main reason we show what rating was given and by whom is so that the mentor can see with whom he went wrong with and with what he was mentoring, if we made it anonymous then it’d be harder to tell the mentor what to do in the future to improve or work on.

You don’t have to give 5 stars out of politeness just be honest, if you think after the 2hours you had you didn’t learn much then base it on that, no mentor will come to you and give you grief no pm’s no messages aimed at you. Any mentor that breaks these rules will not be a mentor in the future. We will be able to work out if the rating you give is a genuine one with the specs we know about you and him and what interaction took place so if someone gave in a dud rating then we’d change it to suit depending on the situation!

Aye over 35+ requests now :D going well..

Cheers

Byte

Joshua

Just to echo what byte said really, I understand completely what you are saying Iller, but that’s the reason why we aren’t having loads of people take the ratings.

The ratings have to be reported to either me or byte, and we aren’t just going to take on face value someone who gives 5 stars 10 minutes after they are given a mentor, and similarly someone who gives 1 star based on 5 hours :)

Also, the reason we are organising it in this ‘official’ way, is that we know who is mentoring who and exactly what’s going on. Then we have much better control over the situation, and if people are being rude, or behaving in a way they shouldn’t after being given a rating, or the person being mentored is being rude or whatever, we can just kick them off the scheme :P

However, judging by everything up till now, which is admittedly not very much, there isn’t going to be much need for any of that as everyone seems to be really enjoying it, both the mentors and the people being mentored.

Joshua

We have a steam group for this set up now as well, by popular request. We are currently in the process of listing all mentors as administrators in the group, so you can get into contact more easily :)

It can be found at: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tf2-mentor

There is a requests page on the website, so if you want to see anything changed, or added to what we are doing then just leave a comment there. If you forgot, the website is located at: http://n3clan.co.uk/tf2mentor

Remember, anyone can have a mentor, and anyone that’s been in at least a div4 clan can apply to be a mentor! Spread the word :D

Oh and idle in #tf2mentor :)

byte

Just to give you an update, we’ve had over 65+ requests in 1 week for individuals/clans wanting to learn. In theory when calculated that’s over 120 ppl mentored so far :-)

Hope its making a difference, anyway we are short of one thing at the moment and that is a Spanish speaking mentor :E. We’ve had over 6/7 people asking to be mentored by one that can speak Spanish if possible. So if there is a spanish amigo out there wanting to be a mentor please drop by #tf2mentor @ quakenet.

Cheers

Byte

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Dignitas/Mick! :P

In other news, who the hell made Nightbox a mentor? That is not the guy new people should be taking advice from.

Joshua

(Almost) Anyone can be a mentor.. if they get bad ratings then they can’t be a mentor anymore. That’s the benefit of the rating system :)

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

kluniq: please don’t speak in public :)

bun

Count me as mentor too

Steam ID: buncool
class: scout/demo/soldier
Languages Spoken: English quite good and french
Skill Level Willing To Teach: can teach d3 and lower divisions who need.

Teams: Beteam, webone, icon
Team Name: Exstensia.

HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW): No dick, just a fat Strong Weapon between my legs.

AeZ!

TP

Team Name: Wrathful Ones
Languages Spoken: Polish, English and probably a bit German
Division: 6 [maybe, new team, we want to start up in 6 div]
Do you have a Server and Mumble/Ventrilo: We have a War Server and Mumble Channel.

byte

Wow you’ve found the original tf2mentor thread! Niceeeeee :D

Anyway due to most not giving a crap nor caring to help the mentor team consists of 4 ppl at the moment. If you need mentoring for you or your team hoping along onto irc #tf2mentor. It may take a while for someone respond but we do eventually get to the requests.

So join #tf2mentor on quakenet.

Cheers

Byte

buNN

Quoted from AeZ!

Team Name: Wrathful Ones
Languages Spoken: Polish, English and probably a bit German
Division: 6 [maybe, new team, we want to start up in 6 div]
Do you have a Server and Mumble/Ventrilo: We have a War Server and Mumble Channel.

This topic is dead, new one is here http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-8432/?recent=174796 , and you can get a mentor in irc on #tf2mentor

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9