Forum

Team Fortress 2 Mentor Project

Created 16th March 2009 @ 13:26

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 9 Next »

Swarley

cool^m

Team Fortress 2 Mentor Project

The idea of this project is for experienced players to teach others about Team Fortress 2 tactics and techniques. This project is aimed towards all levels of play and not just low division players. One of the potential outcomes of this project is to help close the gaps in terms of play style between the lowest divisions and the higher ones.

This thread will have the names of anyone who is interested in mentoring and any teams that are interested in learning.

If a given team and a given mentor become good friends and want to make it like that, cool but that is not an obligation on the part of any mentors signed up. By being a mentor all you are saying is: “I am willing to spend the time to teach a team if they happen to catch me while I’m online and I don’t have anything else to do”. If for some reason you sign up and later decide that you don’t have the time to teach teams here and there or maybe you decided to take a specific team under your training, then please reply to this topic or PM me and I will remove you from this list.

Being on this list as a mentor means that you are open to getting messages from teams asking you to help with them and show them a few things (depending on what skill level they are). Some teams might need to learn the complete basics while others might be looking to learn more advanced tactics and techniques. As I have already said, if at any point you don’t feel like doing this anymore or can’t please request that your name be removed.

Teams: BE RESPECTFUL! Don’t spam the mentors asking for help. They are being nice enough to give some of their time up, so be nice enough not to annoy them. Remember, just because you learn a few things from someone doesn’t make them YOUR mentor. If you talk to a mentor and they are willing to train your team specifically, cool, but don’t constantly annoy them and look for lessons just because they helped you once. Most importantly, if a mentor says they can’t train you at the time or tells you to seek help from someone else because they aren’t good at teaching your skill level then listen to them and leave them alone. Additionally, some people just might not work together for teaching/learning, so don’t nag someone if they decide it’s just not working out.

I think I covered everything. If anyone has any suggestions please post them here or PM me. If you are interested in this project fill out the following form and post it here or PM me.

Mentors
Steam Name:
Skill Level Willing To Teach:
Class(s) You Play (Optional):
HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW):

Teams
Team Name:
Division:
Do you have a Server and Mumble/Ventrilo:

—————————————————————————————————

“#tf2mentor @ quakenet

Will be getting a website / bot hopefully up very soon. This room is for various players from all div’s who would like a mentor to

help/guide/advise for themselves OR their clan…

Those that wish to be mentor’s, speak to me (Byte) on irc and let me know.

Cheers

Byte”

dunc

infs
dp.

Count me in.

Steam ID: duncanwraight
Languages Spoken: English, bit of French, loads of Finnish
Skill Level Willing To Teach: Any
HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW): Let’s put it this way – my 30cm ruler is barely measuring half.

Swarley

cool^m

Steam Name: [email protected]
Languages Spoken: English
Skill Level Willing To Teach: Beginner to Intermediate
Class(s) You Play (Optional): Soldier
HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW): Tiny :(

ThePledge

Cool initiative. Good to see something like this happening :)

Steam Name: tijgetje
Languages Spoken: English, Dutch, tiny bit of French and German
Skill Level Willing To Teach: Any team below my skill level (say from low to mid skill)
Class(s) You Play (Optional): Scout, Sniper, Engineer, Pyro ;p
HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW): he can find out at LAN if he really wants to!

dunc

infs
dp.

flirt

Grem

rEJ
TG

Great initiative!

Team Name: Suitcase Nuke
Languages Spoken: English
Division: 5a (4 next season)
Do you have a Server and Mumble/Ventrilo: Yes, yes/yes

frooker

Great idea, try to say something about a “stupid community” now. ;)

jester

also ppl that wanna mentor individuals? =$

kolox

obs.

No flames for being lower-div, but I can safely say I can out-scout a lot of div 4 (perhaps some div 3) scouts a lot of the time, and know lots of tactics for scout and soldier (I can teach basic medic and demo tactics for lower divisions – 5 and 6 – too though)

Steam Name: Koloxx
Language(s) Spoken: English, Olives’ crazy language.
Skill Level Willing To Teach: Beginners, div 6 – low 4 skill
Class(s) You Play (Optional): Scout, Soldier, Sniper
HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW): three centimetres (did I do it right?)

// Would like to speak to some higher division scouts to ask some questions :D

byte

Steam Name: Byte (ask me on irc for my account name as thats the ID i use to sign in)
Language(s) Spoken: English Arabic
Skill Level Willing To Teach: Div 1-5 : >
Class(s) You Play (Optional): Demo,Soldier,Scout,Medic,Heavy
HOW BIG IS YOUR DICK (DUNC WANTS TO KNOW): Well Dunc knows this already so no need to mention this in public D:

Cheers

Byte

Swarley

cool^m

Hey kolox, a big part of tf2 is the team work, so you could put the best individual players together in a team and the team would still fail due to bad team work. I feel the best way to teach is to a full team, not just a single player. It is up to the individual to improve there personal skill.

kolox

obs.

However you can still show them the best ways to do certain things, ie. getting to mid, when to use certain tactics. Besides, I know where the medic should be standing – it’s just the demo I might need someone else to show.

As for whole-team tactics, I know them ones too, though they might prefer a higher div player to show them that.

Swarley

cool^m

Sure, thanks for getting involved in this project as well. Everyone has different ways of teaching so I’ll except that you teach differently to me. It’s all good :)

Seems there is a lot of interest already, could I request this thread to be a sticky please.

bun

great idea! the high community can have babies with this project and evoluate. i didnt understand, if you sign in , anybody can come to ask you something that’s it?

edit : ok understood , really nice project, and was thinking about a video tutorial for maps and basic tactics.

Morty

RG

really great idea, i loved it. but, what about people that are c’less? :<

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 9 Next »