Forum

THE REAL ISSUE OF EU TF2

Created 7th August 2012 @ 21:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 11 Next »

IPZIE

SUAVE

Dear ETF2L,

this is an open letter to the administration and members of ETF2L.
For some time now pretty much every day we can participate in the seemingly endless discussion on the forums: “Unlocks / No Unlocks”.
We discuss the advantages and disadvantages of them, but also how we can grow the TF2 community and just general interest in TF2 as an e-sports title.
Already discussing the smallest details in unlocks and metagame without considering any of the necessary steps beforehand.
There seems to be no common plan as to how we can achieve our common goals.
I would like to start with suggestions, criticisms and recommendations and invite to an open discussion.

One of the most common issues that we face at the moment is that the spread between Public TF2 and Competitiv TF2 is too big and the absence of unlocks in our current system could deter people interested in the game.
I think here lies one of the greatest errors in the present discussion.
In order to generate more interest in ETF2L and competitive TF2 in general we have to advertise where people play: on pub servers!
We should reach out to existing communities and ask them to let us advertise on their websites/servers.
we should have our own public server showing people our community and playstyle.
I don’t think we should just convince a few pub players and hope that they have enough friends to tell.
We can’t afford to have an ETF2L pub server resticted only to ETF2L members by some plugin.
Why dont we make a partnership with with that guys that are running the tf2lobby system to “farm” the guys that are actually at the first step from pub to comp?

ETF2L and VanillaTV have made great progress in organizing and covering matches.
Today we have a steadily growing number of viewers as well as streamers drawing more attention to TF2.
One important thing TF2 is lacking is prizemoney.
At the moment we are lucky enough to have a few community members who generously provided money for cups to sweeten the competition and make people give that extra bit to be “THE BEST”.
Will we only play for mousemats and backpacks in the future?

At the beginning of this year we entered into a partnership with Thermaltake and advertise their products / site on the Main Page.
And there is also other advertising running quietly in the background.
ETF2L has no Spending on servers salaries and cups – the latter is always “outsourced” instead (see Excello, dignitas).
Where does the money go?
Couldn’t this money be used to increase the prize pool of ETF2L and thus making winning a season a lot more desirable?
Couldn’t this money go into regular “in house” cups to the community which would be more potential streams/casts/viewers?

Right now we could be at a turning point for european tf2.
i46 will be the biggest TF2 LAN to date, with american and european teams facing off and getting a lot of attention.
This attention should be used to get a lot more people to ETF2L and competitive TF2.
If we don’t find a way to make TF2 more attractive then wel will lose a lot of good teams after i46 and with that TF2 fans just because their heroes are not playing anymore.
What reason is there to be the best just because you’re next on the skill ladder and the top people are just too bored to play?
Only when that happens is it time to discuss the necessity of unlocks and their impact on tf2.

If i can help the etf2l to achieve any of these goals i will gladly do it,

Cheers Ipz

Ghostface

spire

My God.. Ipz, you’re not a retard

I 100% agree

Last edited by Ghostface,

rytis

PrettyGay

Why dont we make a partnership with with that guys that are running the tf2lobby system to “farm” the guys that are actually at the first step from pub to comp?
caus the dude running tflobby was online long time ago, so I doubt its doable

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Great wake-up call ipz. I can’t really say anything about the sponsor money etc because I simply have no inside information and don’t want to point fingers where it might be unjust.

Your point about trying to connect pubs to etf2l is so fucking true though. Whatever we fight about as a community considering the way we coordinate and run competitive TF2, we always agree on one thing: A problem of TF2 is that there is such a large divide between pubs and comp. Instead of focusing on unlocks (lets be real, we will never run a 6v6 season with all unlocks allowed so we will never cater to the “true pubber”) we should focus on informing the pubbers and creating more awareness about this league.

The point about cups is a good point, and it actually connects with the point about attracting pubbers. Right now, the league seasons are the only consistent format of competitive that are ran at ETF2L. This might scare off a lot of potential competitive players. Commiting to a full league season is quite an investment, and having an alternative like weekly cups or something might actually make the easy of entry to this site and its community much easier.

So yeah, increasing awareness of ETF2L on pubs, having official ETF2L pubs, and makin ETF2L more accessible by running consistent inhouse cups would be a great thing. Adding some more prizemoney to that would only make it even more awesome ^_^

kaidus

WiK?

I don’t want to go off on a rant about ETF2L, but I’ll just say they have proven completely unwilling to incorporate a serious competitive atmosphere so we quite simply need somewhere else to play that will do so. LAN(finals)/prizes are secondary here to something that segments the top players and makes their status look appealing. I can’t help but feel that this ship sailed when we hung ESL out to dry, I can only hope that i46 can do something to rectify this situation.

This doesn’t come from some desire of mine to be an internet hero and have random guys on the internet suck my dick. You only need to look at the american scene – they have substantially less players in 6v6, but substantially more viewers. On a DAILY basis the top players from America will get their personal streams watched by the kind of numbers VTV expects from a semi-high profile cast (pre twitch front page figures). One can argue this is partly to do with unlocks, but I personally put it down to the fact that they are backed by a serious esports organisation which makes their players look professional, which gives birth to admiration from prospective fans. If it was all down to unlocks then they would have more players than we do, but that isn’t the case.

Edit: I should say that I feel this could in part by achieved by ETF2L, however they remain so desperate to make sure everyone is on an even basis in all aspects of the league that this just isn’t possible. That’s not a bad thing, but what TF2 needs to continue operating as it does (or become better) simply does not fit into the model they’ve set out.

Last edited by kaidus,

Gubbins

Op4

I’ll bump this ’til the cows come home

Snyyppis

RLM

Is there an e-sports league in Europe that could take on tf2 and host an invite tf2 league similar to the US? Other than esl?

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

Only ESL is big enough for that in Europe. People dropping ESL was the biggest mistake comp tf2 have ever done. Why would you even skip a big organisation for a community controlled league (no offence etf2l). In the long run ESL would have given us more as it has the chance of hosting TF2 at an IEM.

evokje

WiK?

Contact ESL.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Well could we get a list of teams that would 100% sign up for ESL, then present to them and beg for them to give us another chance?

The biggest mistake I did was leave ESL cos I had a bad first experience.

choiie

keso

Inb4 ESEA invite.

Also +1 etc

Poop

TSUN~
[PG]

gape

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from kaidus

I don’t want to go off on a rant about ETF2L, but I’ll just say they have proven completely unwilling to incorporate a serious competitive atmosphere

Yeah, they’re only the biggest comp tf2 league in the world. Haha.

I can’t believe I logged in just to reply to that. fml

longas

TF2 is a game made for casuals and valve created it with that purpose in mind, that’s the real issue. The difference between pub servers and competitive 6on6 has been too big since the beginning (now even more with all the unlocks), Valve has never cared about the competitive scene of this game and they aren’t going to do it now.

Last edited by longas,

Skyride

DUCS

The real issue with TF2 is that people will post in this thread and think they’ve helped. Nothing will happen and everyone will feel like they tried.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 11 Next »