Forum

No TF2 Promode ?

Created 12th December 2011 @ 22:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 Next »

kim

idd.

Quoted from ups

This isn’t true at all, as someone already mentioned before in the topic. Unless you mean supporting it by pumping a large amount of money into tf2’s development as a competitive e-sports title, in which case you should be punished heavily for your foolishness. This is still a game designed for pub play we are talking about,pub players are the focus here and I doubt Valve can really cater more to the competitive community.

Balancing the weapons will not do anything for us, as we play using an entirely different vanilla ruleset anyway, which will not change even if the weapons suddenly get balanced as 6v6 players will stick to the current unlock rules for the sake of a game being enjoyable to watch, easy to follow and would not revolve around item choice during a match.

That is also painfully obvious and I have no idea as to why I am typing this in.

I don’t see how it would have been a bad move to put some extra money into the updates to actually make them bring something to the competitive scene. Sure, the game started off as a game intended for pub play, but why can’t we have tweaks that allow the game to be more balanced overall in terms of weapons and also bringing features like picmip 4? If that was actually a cheat, then how come we tolerate it? Helping the comepetitive players doesn’t require a huge effort like the DotA 2 international either. Seeing how DotA 2 has competitive features they might as well port them over now.

Another point that you brought up is that you don’t want a game to revolve around item choice. So I guess we should ban all the medic weapons too? The Kritzkrieg for example and clutch ubersaws do have their effect on how the game turns out and can heavily shift the tide of the round. Sure, there are ones like the Jarate, Mad Milk and the Soldier Banners, which are borderline stupid, however we could simply ban those out and still leave the rest open as long as they are sidegrades. The part where Valve went wrong was when they decided to keep pumping out unlocks instead of fixing the old ones. They also refused to take out flawed designs and kept on pumping out more pointless weapons.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they announce a new 5 cp map designed for competitive play? All we got was a 5cp version of gorge (which was also supposed to be a competitive map but failed) which they seem to have just left behind like they have with the original gorge.

Quoted from droso

I just wish the ETF2L config/whitelist would allow the “solid color textures pack”.
That would be absolutely awesome.

These kind of things, while may be not as appealing to the pub community, would be features that I think nobody in the competitive community would have anything against. A HUD manager of sorts, custom crosshairs easily built into the game, all these things would be amazing to have and are probably easier done than trying to rebalance the weapons so they fit in. The easiest thing they could do to make us a favor is removing the picmip limit which also has not happened even though people are aware of ways to go around it and nobody thinks of it as a cheat, so why not?

I doubt you are going to even consider any of this seeing how ignorant you appear to be but whatever, opinions differ.

IPZIE

SUAVE

tf2 is a cashcow guys get it.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

If Valve give a million dollar prize fund to a TF2 tournament would we get more players overnight playing comp?

If Valve would give a million dollar prize fund for a TF3 tournament prior to it’s release, would that anchor it as a “serious” comp game?

Spike Himself

TC

Some good points being raised. Unfortunately Robin Walker does not read our forums (afaik)!
If you want something done, stop whining on the forums and start emailing them! :D
Or get a petition going.. I’m sure someone here can come up with something to get Valve’s attention :)

kim

idd.

Quoted from Spike Himself

Or get a petition going.. I’m sure someone here can come up with something to get Valve’s attention :)

Can’t someone from ETF2L get in contact with them to organize something? Would probably be the most effective way seeing how they sponsor ETF2L

IPZIE

SUAVE

why is he not reading it we have a big fat VALVE there ———->
at least i do

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Monkeh

If Valve give a million dollar prize fund to a TF2 tournament would we get more players overnight playing comp?

If Valve would give a million dollar prize fund for a TF3 tournament prior to it’s release, would that anchor it as a “serious” comp game?

Reminds me of that game called Blink or was it Brink?

Man that comp scene was huge, Right mvp?
Heard he had green models in it too. Using Highlighters. Green.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Oh man this thread again :D

We asked for a lot of this stuff in the old super cool invite only ninja secret no-Homers beta, but Valve didn’t bite.

Your vision of TF2 Promode will never gather speed because the changes you are championing are so slight. Pro mods for other titles were felt to be a requirement because the standard game mechanics were not challenging or in need or rebalance.

We have a community have already balanced things out with team sizes and class limits to a point where people have little to gripe about. Green models and white walls are just fluff.

I can understand Valve’s reluctance to respond to any of these requests and the visual style is the major differentiating factor between TF2 and every other FPS out there…

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Si^

[…]

I liked skyride’s view on this topic.
(A post not about highlighters THO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM)

It’s not in valves best interest to promote 6 v 6 play.

Short version
Highlander is better for them to promote as it promotes the use of all classes. (look at tf2 blog more interest in highlander games than 6 v 6s shows its pretty clear)

(can’t remember the whole of Adams point)

Ye that’s pretty much it.

Removing any personal opinion and looking at it from a purely objective viewpoint, it is more beneficial for valve to promote highlander than 6v6. It’s not that they don’t or won’t promote 6v6, it’s just that Highlander is a much better demonstration of Team Fortress 2 to someone who has never played nor heard of the game before than 6v6. We ban pretty much all of the unlockable weapons, and only make uses of 4 of the 9 classes 90% of the time, and we’re not even playing popular public server maps.

Whereas if you look at highlander, it’s making use of all 9 classes giving the chance to display their full utility, all unlocks are allowed which let’s newbies see the incredible potential for diverse gameplay, and they’re all playing popular well known PL maps (PL maps are generally more popular on pubs than 5CP and have quite a good learning curve since only really 2 or 3 players out of 12 on a team need to be actively trying to push the cart).

The problem is this though: 6v6 TF2 is never going to be a big Esport, but equally anyone who thinks that highlander is a true competitive gamemode (in the sense that 6v6, CS Bomb Defusal, QL 1v1, etc is) are kidding themselves on. There are extremely obvious imbalances with certain weapon/class combinations, and aside from anything else it is physically impossible to coordinate that sheer number of players on a team with the same dexterity that a good CS 5v5 or TF2 6v6 team can. Simply put, there is a much lower skill ceiling and vastly higher “randomness” factor.

I’ve played this game for nearly 4 years. I was involved and even ran public communities for nearly a year before I even heard the term “competitive tf2”, I remember discussing the scout update on our community forum and getting super excited about how cool the sandman was. I’d like to think I have at least a decent grasp of what a regular TF2 player wants, and it pains me to say that 6v6 is not it.

Last edited by Skyride,

ups

Quoted from kim

[…]

I don’t see how it would have been a bad move to put some extra money into the updates to actually make them bring something to the competitive scene. Sure, the game started off as a game intended for pub play, but why can’t we have tweaks that allow the game to be more balanced overall in terms of weapons and also bringing features like picmip 4? If that was actually a cheat, then how come we tolerate it? Helping the comepetitive players doesn’t require a huge effort like the DotA 2 international either. Seeing how DotA 2 has competitive features they might as well port them over now.
[…]
These kind of things, while may be not as appealing to the pub community, would be features that I think nobody in the competitive community would have anything against. A HUD manager of sorts, custom crosshairs easily built into the game, all these things would be amazing to have and are probably easier done than trying to re-balance the weapons so they fit in. The easiest thing they could do to make us a favor is removing the picmip limit which also has not happened even though people are aware of ways to go around it and nobody thinks of it as a cheat, so why not? I doubt you are going to even consider any of this seeing how ignorant you appear to be but whatever, opinions differ.

It didn’t start off, it simply is and always will be a game intended primarily for pub play. Which is la seule raison that drives valve’s human resources towards providing content for your average casual joe in order to make some profit which they definitely deserve after this much time of making free updates.

And even though that is the case, we still got some stuff here and there (mp_tournament, whitelists and such, demo fixes) that are done and influence us ( the 6v6 community ) more, and you somehow only focus on picmip only for some reason.Features are being added for us, even though it’s done slowly. That is really the most out of it we can get out of it with this relatively small competitive community that is not gonna grow a lot anytime soon ( and don’t get me wrong, I think thats totally fine).

Now lets keep that in mind and go over your ideas:

Balancing weapons? Didn’t they try that a while ago? Oh yes, before we had >9000 weapons in the game. Then they stopped, I’d say its a little too late to start tweaking anything. I’d even say it’s futile, as a new set of weapons comes out every week. Again, nobody cares about balance in pubs, correct me if I’m wrong.

Hud manager would be great at this point when they slowed down the addition of elements to the hud itself. In fact, I am pretty sure it already exists for a while, its just not available for public release. Supporting and updating it, making it user friendly – still a notable amount of work, not a lot of pubbers are gonna use it, if any at all.

Custom crosshairs – even better! Well, at least we have a small selection of built-in crosshairs. Do you think a pub player needs more than that? It’s 6v6 players who need it, a small part of the actual community, so don’t expect it anytime soon. I’m sure it somewhere in valve’s idea box. At the end.

All great ideas, but it all comes down to priorities.And when you’re a competitive community that exists inside of a pub game you are not the first on that big corporate priority list.

And its a shame really. It’s a shame that its too hard to get into the 6v6 format and not a lot of people commit because of that. It’s unfortunate, that tf2’s competitive existence did not start out in half-pub-ish highlander format.It’s a pity that this game has been used as an experiment, as a playground to test player reaction to certain mechanics which messed it up.

Another point that you brought up is that you don’t want a game to revolve around item choice. So I guess we should ban all the medic weapons too? The Kritzkrieg for example and clutch ubersaws do have their effect on how the game turns out and can heavily shift the tide of the round. Sure, there are ones like the Jarate, Mad Milk and the Soldier Banners, which are borderline stupid, however we could simply ban those out and still leave the rest open as long as they are sidegrades. The part where Valve went wrong was when they decided to keep pumping out unlocks instead of fixing the old ones. They also refused to take out flawed designs and kept on pumping out more pointless weapons.

I wouldn’t mind that actually. I would prefer playing without any additional weapons as opposed to trying to figure out whether the enemy soldier is shooting crits at me or some fucked up “particle littering” weapon. This is more of an “vanilla vs cinamon” argument, and I’d rather not go there as there are plenty of arguments about that on the forums already.

They didn’t refuse, they did change some of them.Recall Natascha and FaN changes as an example. But it’s too much of this stuff to keep track of, read the previous part of my post.

Anyway, those changes were made more due to massive whining on steam forums, also known as “player feedback”. It has nothing to do with 6v6. Valve did try to improve 6v6 player experience, first with closed beta for div1 (read prem) players, then with public beta, but all of the feedback is quite low on the processing list, and is made useless by countless new items. Repeating myself here.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they announce a new 5 cp map designed for competitive play? All we got was a 5cp version of gorge (which was also supposed to be a competitive map but failed) which they seem to have just left behind like they have with the original gorge.

And then they started releasing a lot of PL maps that are liked by pub players. Make your own conclusions :)

All of this is obviously opinion-based and if I come around as ignorant I’m sorry as this is a conversation that I already had a million times, and will probably have it a million more times until I care about tf2.

Last edited by ups,

jonii

fm-eSportstf2

Quoted from kuma

The sooner you realise that trying to make TF2 a meaningful esport is futile the faster you will give up, because that’s not what this game is about. TF2 is meant to be a fun, team-based pub game and the comp scene is only a glorified, organised version of that. I mean the game isn’t even designed for 6v6 play anyway, so why would any focus be put on it? Not to mention that the game is hamstrung by undue influence from pub players. I mean what other good comp game cares about attracting pub players to the comp side?

If you’re in this game for the esport dimension of it, the sponsorship, and continued development focused on the comp side, the big crowds and massive tournaments (like MLG, GSL, Dreamhack etc.) then you will be disappointed. Move on and don’t look back. However, if you realise that 6v6 is not an esport but a fun team-based game, then you can enjoy it for what it is.

TL;DR: Too many hats in this dumb game for it to be an esport.

thread should have ended right here, because this is 100% correct

Greg2fram

T*My
T*MyHL

Saying TF2 is not an game for Esport because it was originally made for pubbers is dumb. I find you trolls as pathetics as people saying “TF2 is dead”.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Greg2fram

Saying TF2 is not an game for Esport because it was originally made for pubbers is dumb. I find you trolls as pathetics as people saying “TF2 is dead”.

You certainly do not understand what you are talking about. Please consider rethinking the definition of ‘esports’, answering yourself what makes a game suitable for calling playing it ‘esports’, what concepts does the game design process revolve around when it comes to make the game suitable for ‘esports’, then, when you actually come to a reasonable conclusion, please reconsider both abandoning the idea or asking the devs directly yourself about the project. And for the love of God, if someone is pathetic here, it’s you, trying to be all high and righteous now – stop doing that.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

ups

Quoted from Greg2fram

Well, at least I don’t need a green marker to help me differentiate between a player and a wall.
I am going to abuse the fuck out of that pic now.

If that is directed at me even partially, then you misinterpreted what I had to say. Let me spell it out for you: it was more beneficial for Valve to take tf2 in the direction of this more casual multiplayer-shooter. Which pushes any competitive thoughts off the stage (unless there’s a very easy way to get into competitive, like, lets say, 9v9) and what we get is a title driven mostly by hats, or so it seems from a pubbers perspective.

That is only a single opinion. It might be dumb from your perspective, but it’s not as dumb as, for example, this
Quoted from Greg2fram

What could we change ? Maybe green models, no hats, better hitboxes… maybe would it make our game more serious-looking and attract some players, sponsors !

I asking it but i dont know at all how to do a mode and i surely can’t.

Last edited by ups,

uubers

gg
gandhi is

that picture was actually funny. gj

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 Next »