Forum

Making pixel pickup open?

Created 26th June 2011 @ 16:32

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 13 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Hey guys, I saw a few people suggest this in light of TF2 going F2P, so I thought I’d just get some thoughts on it.

Bassically as everyone knows, pixel pickup is invite only. We’re pretty lax on the requirements (effectively we’re looking for at least some experience in a division 5 team, or a solid season in a div6 team), and even then we make exceptions for people coming from other competitive games. Frankly I’m ok with this at the minute.

The thing that’s bothering me is in the coming weeks, we’re going to have a lot more people wanting to try 6v6 TF2. I can’t comfortably tell anyone to try out tf2lobby simply because it’s not a real taste of 6v6 (there’s virtually zero teamwork or comms), and there aren’t really any alternatives either. pixeltf2.open fell on its arse for reasons that i’d pretty much expected beforehand, but thought it was a worth a go anyway. And unfortunately, even if we revive mpuktf2.pickup, I think it’ll suffer from the same problems as pixeltf2.open now (i.e. theres no existing userbase to start using it, and the immediate influx of players after it opens is unlikely to get it going actively).

Edit: Here’s a tl;dr of the reasons I’m seeing for and against.

Reasons for:
Gives new players a better chance to play 6v6

Reasons against:
Will significantly lower the skill level
Newer players will enter, play retarded, and not follow rules (as evidenced in pickup.fi)

Martn

yes. do it.

Stranger

2stronk

Yes, do it.

AnimaL

id rather see mpuk1 come back

at least wouldnt have to deal with nazi admins

Thalash

wG
S-O

No thanks.

They’d get stomped by higher skilled players, and would be completely useless to your team which would probably cause alot of rage.

If possible, make a separate pickup channel for the new players.

tasKu

e-famous

They should have atleast knowledge of the game.
Like that you need to cap captures etc and that m1 is to shoot.

Otherwise, i wouldnt mind.

dougiie

CotC

well tbh, you/huhy let in that new guy that’s on these forums yesterday. (Jammi is his name)

So the argument of, let one in – let them all in sort of applies now….. doesn’t it?

Jarppa

Feacon

Make a closed pickup where player is required to have over 1-2 hours of TF2 playtime in Steam profile.

Quoted from tasKu

^ this

Stranger

2stronk

Quoted from tasKu

I think that if they find out or know about the pickup system and put the effort of learning mirc, they’ll probably know something about how to play it as well.

I think you should also add some useful links for tf2 newbs on top of the pickup chan.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from dougiie

well tbh, you/huhy let in that new guy that’s on these forums yesterday. (Jammi is his name)

So the argument of, let one in – let them all in sort of applies now….. doesn’t it?

they kinda let everyone in, but into the templist. if they fail and get reported for being bad, their invite is removed.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

The question is if it should become open, which means that no invites are needed anymore.
If it’s open, banned players can simply create a new auth and rejoin. That is why I am against making it open.
I am fine to give everybody a chance though who takes the effort to create himself a qnet auth and speaks to one of the admins.

AnimaL

funny how yanks can do 3 years of pugs even without having auth enabled but euros have so many problems

Stranger

2stronk

Quoted from AnimaL

funny how yanks can do 3 years of pugs even without having auth enabled but euros have so many problems

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

what animal said.

Dummy

Quoted from AnimaL

difference being the prevention-of-bads technique used in pugna is having captains which you dont have here

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 13 Next »