skill level help

Created 31st July 2010 @ 15:27

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

JackieBoy

LTG.

Just search games with divisions.

Vali

-9w-

There’s the inherent problem though that people tend to overrate themselves (and their friends) which then leads to the others doing the same. Let’s take for example mid- as div4 and mid as div3 standard. You beat several teams that claim to be mid- when they might infact only be low+ and their misunderstanding leads you to develop your own misunderstanding. Even if you were mid- skill, the fact that you’re rolling most of the teams you play that claim to be mid- makes you entertain the idea that you’re mid instead.

There should be very little difference between saying that you’re mid and saying that you’re div3, and both have their drawbacks. Something like a skill rating allows people that are not currently in such a division to advertise for something that is their skill level (such as if they’re rolling div4 in the current league) but the terms are often confused because there is no set standard. On the other hand, division skill ratings are very easy to check (for teams that are in a division) but limit the scope for clans to advertise as their true skill level or search for something above their skill level hoping to improve if you simply restrict it to what is actually true. If you don’t restrict it, then there’s not really any difference between saying a division and saying a skill level if the skill levels are universally understood.

So while I think for the time being divisions are the way to go in terms of advertising, I believe there needs to be some clear up of the skill rating system since it also plays a part in such things as recruitment and there’d be no real reason to use divisions over skill ratings if people knew what was meant by them. The real issue however is in people overrating themselves.

lolage

TSPAG

high div1
mid+ div2
mid div3
mid- div4
low+ div5
low div6
low- terribad

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Quoted from Vali

wall o text.

This, nailed it.

Another thing is that nobody is low+ anymore, everyone is now mid-, the amount of times I’ve looked for a game and just roll this so called “mid-” team is just ridiculous, only on rare occasions do we actually find what we are looking for, an actual mid- team to play against.

lolage

TSPAG

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

[…]

This, nailed it.

Another thing is that nobody is low+ anymore, everyone is now mid-, the amount of times I’ve looked for a game and just roll this so called “mid-” team is just ridiculous, only on rare occasions do we actually find what we are looking for, an actual mid- team to play against.

BUT YOUR DIV5

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I search high+ and we usually win so I see no problem whatsoever…

(p.s I tend to go “6v6 | mid- (div 5/4)” best of both worlds.

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Best thing to do is PM the guy whos advertising the game, and find out whos playing. No way around the huge difference in real mid- and div6 mid- teams.

LikeThis

personally i see it like this:

div 6: Low / Low+
div 5: Low+/Mid-
div 4: Mid- / Mid
div 3 Mid / Mid+
etc

doesn’t really matter, you can search by div but even then you’ll get div 6 shitnerds pretending to be div 4 (cough gatl<3) :)

F2

Danmark

Quoted from AnimaL

just use divisions instead of this nonesense

+9000 !!!

ETF2L’s recruitment system should also adapt this.

Ripple

Quoted from JackieBoy

Just search games with divisions.

I do it like this for months now. If you search on IRC with div 4 or div 3 you get exactly what you want in 90% of the cases.

Last edited by Ripple,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

div3 = mid
div2 = mid+
div1 = mid+/high

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from F2

[…]
+9000 !!!

ETF2L’s recruitment system should also adapt this.

Would work, but there would need to be an option to select multiple divisions as most people don’t pin themselves on one team or for new teams who do not know their placement yet.

Added it to the list of things to be looked at.

lolage

TSPAG

Can’t really use divisions. ETF2L divisions does not = comp tf2. There are other leagues.

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from Koeitje

div3 = mid
div2 = mid+
div1 = high-/high

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from lolage

Can’t really use divisions. ETF2L divisions does not = comp tf2. There are other leagues.

every team pretty much plays here so it’s pretty much ETF2L=comp tf2

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »