Forum

skill level help

Created 31st July 2010 @ 15:27

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Vali

-9w-

Quoted from RaCio

Would work, but there would need to be an option to select multiple divisions as most people don’t pin themselves on one team or for new teams who do not know their placement yet.

Added it to the list of things to be looked at.

The easiest way surely would just be to come out with an official stance on the skill ratings? Couple that with a guide on how skill ratings work so that new people can get up to speed (which lets be fair has been long overdue) and it might help clear up a lot of confusion for both new and old ETF2L members.

Skyride

DUCS

Why don’t you write a nice explanation for people then Vali? I’m sure ETF2L would happily put it up if its sufficiently well-written.

Funkeh

DStM

Someone get on this, I am bored of the current mindless rankings. It seems to affect the lower divisions mainly, for some reason no one wants to call themselves low-/=/+ any more, because div6/5/4 is so much better lol.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Vali

You beat several teams that claim to be mid- when they might infact only be low+ and their misunderstanding leads you to develop your own misunderstanding. Even if you were mid- skill, the fact that you’re rolling most of the teams you play that claim to be mid- makes you entertain the idea that you’re mid instead.

Imho that’s just how it works. If you’re going to beat teams that advertise to be mid-, then you might very well be at a mid level. Seeing as it is practically impossible to define skill levels, all you can base it on is the skill level other people claim to be at. If everyone in the world is going to be mid- and you’re better than them, logically you are going to be above the skill level that is thereby defined as mid-.

Hope it makes sense. Silly language barrier giving me a hard time getting my point across..

Norrland3000

Quoted from lolage

Can’t really use divisions. ETF2L divisions does not = comp tf2. There are other leagues.

Then you say,
– yo pcw div4 etf2l, yo play, yo, play now yo? How hard is it? why make a system of another system, on top of another system? Thats what makes it terrible. Make it simple…

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

In those cases we just use letters instead of numbers.

The senses would be the following:

low – people new to game/competitive tf2 (lot of people)
mid – people that just play good
high – the best ;)

Tikcus

All this would be fixed with everyone using the ladder (if the ladder gets improvments)

after the ladder takes shape, you search for

6v6 | ladder ~1xxx (enter ladder rating) | on | now

then you can forget about who is low-/low/low+/mid-/doesn’t actualy play

JackieBoy

LTG.

Quoted from Tikcus

All this would be fixed with everyone using the ladder (if the ladder gets improvments)

after the ladder takes shape, you search for

6v6 | ladder ~1xxx (enter ladder rating) | on | now

then you can forget about who is low-/low/low+/mid-/doesn’t actualy play

I think this is pretty dope. Then there woulde be like “PCW Ranks”

Vali

-9w-

Quoted from Spike Himself

Imho that’s just how it works. If you’re going to beat teams that advertise to be mid-, then you might very well be at a mid level. Seeing as it is practically impossible to define skill levels, all you can base it on is the skill level other people claim to be at. If everyone in the world is going to be mid- and you’re better than them, logically you are going to be above the skill level that is thereby defined as mid-.

Hope it makes sense. Silly language barrier giving me a hard time getting my point across..

I get what you’re saying but sorry it’s pretty much completely wrong. While skill levels are relative to other players and teams, they also make claims about the average performance a player is capable of in terms of aim and gamesense. Everyone knows that you cannot be a high scout without some sort of combination of aim, movement and gamesense that allows you to go toe to toe with the best. If someone started claim that they were high skilled, or a team started claiming it, without some sort evidence to back up that claim, people would just laugh at them.

The problem is, in part, due to the fact that a lot of people don’t “get” what it is to be mid-. In general it should land a team in division 4, a level of fragging, tactics and teamwork that would make them better than roughly this many teams and worse than that many others. While what it means to be div4, or any division for that matter, is constantly evolving in terms of the skill requirements as the general playerbase and teams get better that doesn’t mean that it is completely arbitrary. If the entire of ETF2L was to claim they were mid- there would still be high and low teams, just a lot more delusional people.

Waebi

‹Con›

Jay darling, you’re a clown yourself, stop trying to hide it <3

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Vali

If the entire of ETF2L was to claim they were mid- there would still be high and low teams, just a lot more delusional people.

So basically what you’re saying is “2 years ago I was mid- and that meant something, but because there are so many people now that are also mid- I’m not special anymore and that is wrong!”?

Surely there will be some people overrating and even underrating themselves, but in the grand scheme of things (and *because* the amount of people and teams is ever growing) everything will evolve just fine. And it is.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

kuma

it isn’t really, everytime we ask for a mid game nowadays we get a div 5/6 team who claim to play at a div 3 level. does it make us high- when we beat them?

Last edited by kuma,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from kuma

everytime

I doubt that.

hal

blah

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Surely there will be some people overrating and even underrating themselves, but in the grand scheme of things (and *because* the amount of people and teams is ever growing) everything will evolve just fine. And it is.

QFT.

It’s kinda funny how some people throw the hands in the air in despair and shout “the world is about to end” just because occasionally people overrate themselves.

Why shouldn’t a d5 team try how they fare vs. mid- teams? How else are they going to find out where they fit in currently and improve and learn to play on a higher level? I doubt that any team will constantly try playing at a higher level than they’re capable of for the simple reason that getting rolled all the time isn’t that much fun after all.

If you don’t want to play a d5/6 team, then don’t, but don’t start crying if people want to challenge themselves and try reaching for the next level. Isn’t that what the competetive scene is all about?

And if you can’t manage to find mid matches that are not d5/6 then you’re seriously doing it wrong…

kuma

Quoted from hal

[…]

Why shouldn’t a d5 team try how they fare vs. mid- teams?

because it’s a waste of time for the higher team who just want to play a good game. i don’t have much time to play recently due to schedules, and when one of our timeslots is taken up by a roll it’s not fun. should we try and get a pcw vs dignitas because we want to “challenge ourselves”?

if you do want a challenge, at least get the grounding from playing at your own level first. then if you feel you’re ready for the next step, explain the situation to a higher team and ask them, rather than pretending you’re a skill you aren’t.

if you explain it to me like this, i’m personally happy to help anyone out.

Last edited by kuma,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »