Forum

[HL S2] Unlock Feedback

Created 29th January 2012 @ 23:01

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 10 Next »

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from ashkan

Would be nice to have your thoughts on the Reserve Shooter as well. It’s buginess in particular :P
Any of that fixed yet? How often does it happen anyway?

I don’t think that the buginess is a problem. I personally don’t see many people using it last season but as it has a bug i can see why it could be banned. Not sure if its been fixed. and not sure it happens all that often.

Quoted from Reservoir Dog

@ Jazz – I don`t understand why are you pushing this Enforcer thing so much? You don`t seem as a stupid guy, so why don`t you accept it is overpowered in every possible way? Light classes getting gunned down with two shots is not a small thing man. As a Medic player in HL I had problems with that weapon, and so did others, no matter which division we are talking about. Banning that weapon is not a random decision, just check comments about it on the last 3 pages.

People said so many good points about it, yet you keep continuing the discussion for some reason. Give it a rest man…

Thanks first off. But i push it because i really don’t see its that strong. Maybe i havent been as affected by it as you. I play demo so it’ll take another two hits to be killed by it but against the teams we play against i never saw and enforcer spy as a problem. If it was such a legit strategy of “business spy/gun ho spy” then why aren’t Colony, SNSD, May Contain Nuts running this?

In s1 we had this discussion about it being able to two shot and you have to be in close range to do that and it banks on you hitting both shots straight away. With rockets you can two shot in close range, huntsman you can one shot every class across a map but there not OP or ban worthy? Yes a spy has to be in close range to backstab but why in close range is a spy then switching to the gun to get a kill and not backstabbing? You take a gamble using your gun rather than using your knife. Guaranteed kill or maybe get a kill?

Also another OP weapon the wrangler. Remember how everyone was like this weapon is OP and OMG how can you destroy a sentry? Well we managed to overcome that and live with it. Haven’t we?

I push it so hard because if nobody said that it shouldn’t be banned then it would be banned and i feel that it shouldn’t be banned so i will continue the discussion until there is a point of view other than people saying, its OP piece of shite so good choice banning it or why cant you see its OP?

Last edited by Jazz,

Linus

[d¿s]

the wrangler actually adds a new gameplay element that makes pushes require more coordination from the attacking team, which is good.

combined with dr the enforcer is just an unneccessery buff to a class that doesnt need it..because its not meant to be a full blown combat class AND have the ability to one hit everything from behind.

Beef

Dawson

Quoted from Jazz

Thanks first off. But i push it because i really don’t see its that strong. Maybe i havent been as affected by it as you. I play demo so it’ll take another two hits to be killed by it but against the teams we play against i never saw and enforcer spy as a problem. If it was such a legit strategy of “business spy/gun ho spy” then why aren’t Colony, SNSD, May Contain Nuts running this?

Having played for and against all 3 of these teams I can say they all use it. Particularly the nuts spy cheetah often just runs around revolvering. I’ve played engineer against him and often he wasn’t even trying to be sneaky, just running up to me, 2 shotting me from any angle, I mostly had enough time to get one shot off.

trams

-><-

Quoted from Jazz

Gentleman rule? I know we didnt use the Enforcer that much because it is to OP.

And as a medic it is a real pain, the spy can kill you fast from behind at range, no matter how much spy checking you do.

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Beef

As I said these rules are only for this cup. We will continue our policy of allowing unlocks unless proven OP for season 2.

I am confuse, the title says Season 2 but now these are rules for the cup? So the weapons listed in the OP are definitely banned in the Experimental Cup, and we are now deciding if they should also be banned in Season 2?

Quoted from Jazz

With rockets you can two shot in close range, huntsman you can one shot every class across a map but there not OP or ban worthy?

But a soldier can’t walk invisibly past your team in order to get into position to fire those two rockets.

Quoted from Jazz

Yes a spy has to be in close range to backstab but why in close range is a spy then switching to the gun to get a kill and not backstabbing?

Because being 20 feet away rather than 1 massively increases your survivability and the likelihood of escaping. You don’t need to be all that close for the enforcer to do massive damage, it still does far more damage than the revolver from well outside the pyro’s flame range (the class supposed to be spy’s counter).

Quoted from Jazz

i will continue the discussion until there is a point of view other than people saying, its OP piece of shite so good choice banning it or why cant you see its OP?

Why do you consider “it’s OP” an invalid point of view, but “it’s not OP” a valid one?

My 2 cents:
Enforcer – the spy already has one extremely powerful weapon, a second is too much. Ban.
Machina – I can see this being annoying for if a group are pushing together, but lack of noscope does leave a sniper vulnerable to rushes, particularly if he’s being kredit to team and using jarate. Tentative allow, and see if it does turn out to be bad.
Pomson – far too spammable, it takes too little skill to use and can completely ruin a well-organised push by removing uber. Ban.
Philogistinator – the MMMPH charges far too quickly, and the heal rate during the taunt is obscene. Ban.
Spy-cicle – if a spy gets caught, he should die. That’s the appropriate risk for the huge reward of a successful backstab. This makes it almost impossible for a pyro to do his job properly and hunt down spies, and makes his spy-checking take >2 seconds per person rather than 0.2 seconds. Ban.
Detonator – if the weapon-switch-full-crit bug is fixed, allow. If it’s not, ban.
Reserve Shooter – as above, if the crit bug is fixed, I see no reason not to allow. If it’s still bugged, ban.

Not featured in OP:

Bombnomicon – interferes with YER stabs, can cause lag on people’s systems if several go off at once. Ban.
Set bonusesBan.

Last edited by almightybob,

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from almightybob

[…]
Why do you consider “it’s OP” an invalid point of view, but “it’s not OP” a valid one?

I dont consider it OP because i feel the spy losses what he is best at. I feel that a spy losses that ability to one hit kill people and puts his stealth and position at risk drawing out the gun and puts at risk getting a guaranteed killed in the frame. I also don’t consider it OP because I don’t feel it breaks the mechanics of the game and doesn’t influence on the game too much. Unlike the bombinomcon which allows players see backstab and highlights where a spy is thats ban worthy. And the holiday punch i believe this can stop an uber and to me thats stronger than an enforcer spy and more game changing.

Quoted from Beef

[…]
Having played for and against all 3 of these teams I can say they all use it. Particularly the nuts spy cheetah often just runs around revolvering. I’ve played engineer against him and often he wasn’t even trying to be sneaky, just running up to me, 2 shotting me from any angle, I mostly had enough time to get one shot off.

I must be missing some huge part of the games we play against them?? I just don’t see it that often if at all.

Quoted from almightybob

Because being 20 feet away rather than 1 massively increases your survivability and the likelihood of escaping. You don’t need to be all that close for the enforcer to do massive damage, it still does far more damage than the revolver from well outside the pyro’s flame range (the class supposed to be spy’s counter).

Yes but the further away you become the less damage is done. and every one says it can two shot. This is banking on that someone hitting both shots in a row when the players are moving around or your being chased.I dont know ranges of what is long/med/short range but would be good to see just hwo far away you can be from a player to still get 70dmg.

Last edited by Jazz,

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Jazz

I feel that a spy losses that ability to one hit kill people and puts his stealth and position at risk drawing out the gun and puts at risk getting a guaranteed killed in the frame.

The spy doesn’t lose it, they still always have the option to stab instead. But if anything, it’s going into the back of the enemy pack for a kill that makes a spy lose positioning, not enforcer-sniping. You can keep position better if your effective range is greater, which is why decloak, two-shot with enforcer, cloak, and repeat is so powerful. With the enforcer, you get to choose the position from which you make the kill, whereas with the knife by necessity your kill positioning is dictated by where your target’s back is.

And since the first shot is 100% accurate, a spy with passable aim only needs to worry about the second shot not connecting. A spy without passable aim would risk missing their backstab about as much as they’d risk missing their enforcer shot.

Quoted from Jazz

And the holiday punch i believe this can stop an uber and to me thats stronger than an enforcer spy and more game changing.

If that’s true, then I agree it should be banned.

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from almightybob

[…]
The spy doesn’t lose it, they still always have the option to stab instead. But if anything, it’s going into the back of the enemy pack for a kill that makes a spy lose positioning, not enforcer-sniping. You can keep position better if your effective range is greater, which is why decloak, two-shot with enforcer, cloak, and repeat is so powerful. With the enforcer, you get to choose the position from which you make the kill, whereas with the knife by necessity your kill positioning is dictated by where your target’s back is.

And since the first shot is 100% accurate, a spy with passable aim only needs to worry about the second shot not connecting. A spy without passable aim would risk missing their backstab about as much as they’d risk missing their enforcer shot.

I dont know ranges of what is long/med/short range but would be good to see just how far away you can be from a player to still get 70dmg.
And im not sure a spy is being as effective if he is standing on a crate and cloaking and decloaking to fire a couple shots. And how many spots in a map are there that a spy can get close enough to do 70dmg and be able to willing cloak and uncloak and get his shots off and all that?

“And since the first shot is 100% accurate” not too sure on this?

ashkan

Quoted from almightybob

[…]

I am confuse, the title says Season 2 but now these are rules for the cup? So the weapons listed in the OP are definitely banned in the Experimental Cup, and we are now deciding if they should also be banned in Season 2?

Rules for the cup are the ones stated in the news post. Since we don’t want the cup to be focused on unlocks (just maps), we moved focus to a more general unlock discussion, and separated it from the map discussion. So this thread is for discussion unlocks in general, leading up to season 2, so it’s disconnected from the the experimental cup. We should’ve had them separate from the start, sorry for the confusion. I’ll see if I can make it clearer in the news post ;)

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Jazz

I dont know ranges of what is long/med/short range but would be good to see just how far away you can be from a player to still get 70dmg.

I’m not exactly sure either, but I do know from experience that you can get full damage with it from a good bit outside the pyro’s flamethrower range :P

Quoted from Jazz

And im not sure a spy is being as effective if he is standing on a crate and cloaking and decloaking to fire a couple shots.

If those shots are killing an important player, and he’s then surviving to attack again, he’s being more effective than if he went in, stabbed that same player and then died when all that player’s teammates turn around. The extra distance means you have to commit far less to make the same kill.

Quoted from Jazz

And how many spots in a map are there that a spy can get close enough to do 70dmg and be able to willing cloak and uncloak and get his shots off and all that?

Depends which map :P

Quoted from Jazz

“And since the first shot is 100% accurate” not too sure on this?

I’m 99% sure it is, since it’s true of the normal revolver and the enforcer is just the same in terms of accuracy etc. If you wait for the spread to recover (1.25 seconds according to the wiki) your shots are 100% accurate.

Quoted from ashkan

So this thread is for discussion unlocks in general, leading up to season 2, so it’s disconnected from the the experimental cup. We should’ve had them separate from the start, sorry for the confusion. I’ll see if I can make it clearer in the news post ;)

OK I get you now, cheers ashkan :)

JDx

nn

Quoted from Beef

[…]

The moment you put a game into a competitive format you change it from what people are used to. You decide what size a team should be and what class restrictions you have. This changes the game in a much greater way than any unlock ban can.

Competitive tf2 is for those players that look for something more, for the players that want to escape from the randomness public playing is/has become. It becomes about teamwork and coordination. It’s also for this reason that we change some of the variables, like no crits and no damagespread.

As for unlocks, when some are overpowered or not beneficiery in a teamplay environment I feel it is our duty to restrict them. Contacting valve about them isn’t feasible as this route takes months with no guarantees and some unlocks are just inherently broken and can only be fixed by making them into completely different weapons.

You’re claim that we change the game 99% of people love is also somewhat bogus as every few weeks new unlocks get thrown on the community whether we like them or not. A lot of players have gotten tired of having to play a different game every time valve decides to add something. I for one don’t enjoy the vast majority of recent unlocks, the last new set I thoroughly enjoyed was the first engineer update. It is for players like myself that this league was made. For those that want to play with some restrictions, for those that stopped enjoying what public play has become.

It is a pretty well known aspect from game-theory that a game needs fixed rules, valve has clearly violated this rule in its own game. We try to find a balance between allowing most unlocks but keeping the meta-game more or less intact. When an unlock breaks this, I feel it is our duty to ban it.

okay.
So if I understand you correctly , your decision is based upon 2 things:
1) Your opinion that the game is not fun as it is.
2) Your assumption thats majority of the community thinks like you.

about the 1st thing, its your opinion, and not only yours, and I respect that.
about the 2nd thing, I think its crucial to find out if that really the case, just if you are interested in making money out of your league. Best way would have been making a poll among all the casual and normal-gamers who populate tf2 servers.

to be honest , I am thinking my self about creating league, with money prizes and all, just without so many restrictions that in my opinion are bad.

offcourse that rules are important , but I think that its important to let players play with least restrictive enviorment.

Last edited by JDx,

I don’t think he’s assuming that everyone thinks that way. It’s more that he knows that people think that way.

You’re obviously new here (if you aren’t then you’re just probably stupid) so you most likely don’t know about the big vanilla/cinnamon/etc wars that have raged before and still are in some cases.

Quoted from JDx

The moment you make items restrictions in pro leagues, you change the game drasticly from what 99 precent of the community used to and love.

Now that’s just a straight fucking lie you’ve got there. Pub now is the exact opposite of what I’m used to and love and that probably goes for 87.3% of the community here. That clusterfuck that public play has become was the thing that first drove me to playing competitive TF2. It wasn’t even that bad when I felt done with it and now it’s just exponentially worse.

Last edited by Tommy Testosterone,

Beef

Dawson

I have to admit this argument is very amusing to me JDx. I have always been one to fight for a game with limited restrictions and now I’m argueing for them. Funny being on the other end for once.

If you think you could make a league which is even less restrictive than our highlander one I’d like to see it and fully support your attempt. Although I must admit I don’t have much hope for a successfull outcome. What would you do in terms of class restrictions? What will you do with random crits and damagespread? What will you do if a weapon turns out to suck the fun out of the game for a large majority?

PS: We have no interest in making any money out of this league, it’s all strictly voluntary.

Last edited by Beef,

JDx

nn

Quoted from Beef

I have to admit this argument is very amusing to me JDx. I have always been one to fight for a game with limited restrictions and now I’m argueing for them. Funny being on the other end for once.

If you think you could make a league which is even less restrictive than our highlander one I’d like to see it and fully support your attempt. Although I must admit I don’t have much hope for a successfull outcome. What would you do in terms of class restrictions? What will you do with random crits and damagespread? What will you do if a weapon turns out to suck the fun out of the game for a large majority?

PS: We have no interest in making any money out of this league, it’s all strictly voluntary.

its wierd you say you have no interest in making money as just in the right side of this page there are steelseries , valve,multiplay advertisment as sponsers.

I guess you would argue its just to cover over the expenses, and then we will have to trust your word for it.

So if you really dont want any money out of this, and dont care if tf2 have real popular Professional league , like i.e quake3 had in the past and starcraft2 at the present , then just keep listening to the guys over here and keep listening to what you want to do, thats the best way I guesss.

About concrete suggestions, I would have tryed 10vs10/11vs11/12vs12 leagues with the ruleset that 99 precent of the gamers in tf2 plays at current point in time. Without class restriction, without weapons restrictions, without hat restrictions, without damage spread/kritz restrictions. If in example after a period of time , everone starts to play only demo man and medics or stops playing all classes , then I would have contacted steam and ask them to fix imbalance as soon as possible.

Quoted from JDx

[…]
About concrete suggestions, I would have tryed 10vs10/11vs11/12vs12 leagues with the ruleset that 99 precent of the gamers in tf2 plays at current point in time. Without class restriction, without weapons restrictions, without hat restrictions, without damage spread/kritz restrictions. If in example after a period of time , everone starts to play only demo man and medics or stops playing all classes , then I would have contacted steam and ask them to fix imbalance as soon as possible.

First, why would we go through the effort of creating a league, setting rules, helping people solve disputes etc if it’s exactly the same as a pub.
Second, most if not all people I know mostly like pub apart from a few very obviously broken weapons, all we’re doing is taking those out.
Finally, contacting Valve doesn’t do anything most of the time and when it does it tends to take ages. We brought the overtime bug on gravelpit to their attention months ago, still not fixed. Enforcer, Wrangler, Tomislav, Natascha, Machina killing through Ubers and more. All been mentioned time and time again along with good suggestions to change them and either nothing has been done or it has taken months if not years.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 10 Next »