Forum

ESL - 6on6 League Season VII

Created 13th March 2011 @ 11:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Fuck off and get a girlfriend CrashSite.

TucE

tR67
KUKKO!

ESL site just has retard filter on, but even cs kids can use it.

Last edited by TucE,

Kop

[CiC]
CiC

this still going on? wow, all the time reading and replying to this u coulda done ur own promotion for esl tbh.

kuma

The way it’s going, there’s no choice but to have two leagues. Tryhard raging nerds like me want to play the game differently from Mr. 40 year old with wife and kids who has played 2 pcws a week for the past 3 years.

Other games in the past have had many different leagues, I remember when I was keen in 1.6 around 2000-2004, we had clanbase, enemydown, ukterrorist and all the other minor leagues and ladders. UKT was the most competitive for the UK scene, sort of like what ESL is atm, and most of the tryhard teams did not join ED which was seen as the lower level league (sort of where ETF2L is right now). They had the majority of the casual and newer teams, but everyone knew what mattered was who won UKT.

It doesn’t really split the community, it’s just the way things are, especially with a game designed for publics like TF2, where any meaningful comp play can only be done with a completely different ruleset. You can’t fault lower level teams for not signing up to ESL when it’s advertised as the “pro” league, same reason why you can’t fault the prem teams for not signing up to ETF2L for catering to the community as a whole.

The average player does not care about prize money, LANs or making the community bigger (and it’s already big, it’s only the top scene which is small, as anyone who’s anyone has already moved on to games like Quake specifically designed for comp the first 6 months TF2 was released)

When teams get good they will automatically become interested in ESL, until then you have to do your best to encourage them to get to that stage.

tldr; The reason why there’s much lower turnout for ESL is only because there are a lot less tryhards (the vocal minority) than there are casuals.

Last edited by kuma,

Mike

TEZC

good read kuma, i agree

dauk

good agree kuma, I read

but the problem is that css community is much bigger than tfTWO ;c

Dummy

Quoted from Kop

this still going on? wow, all the time reading and replying to this u coulda done ur own promotion for esl tbh.

really helpful and insightful points you make here, I feel ETF2L is going in the right direction with people like you in charge.

Last edited by Kop,

Martn

Quoted from Dummy

isnt the incentive simple – better competition in ESL?
I’ve always thought most of the players here are competitive and want to improve, not that 90% of them are casuals who play a couple of maps a week

You sir, are wrong.

Dummy

Quoted from Martn

[…]

You sir, are wrong.

n why would that be?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I’m not a tryhard kuma :(((((((((((((((

kuma

Quoted from dauk

good agree kuma, I read

but the problem is that css community is much bigger than tfTWO ;c

Yeah, but there aren’t a lot of choices. The only things we can do are:
1) Do what we’re doing now, different rulesets for different levels of keen
2) Make one ruleset as the “competitive standard” used by all leagues
3) Change nothing or very minor tweaks

Games which have done 1:
TF2

Games which have done 2:
WoW (arena), 1.6, CSS

Games which have done 3:
Q3A, CPMA, BLC, SCBW, SC2, SF4, DotA, HoN

When you look at it this way you realise that:
1: pub and comp gameplay very different
2: pub and comp gameplay slightly different
3: pub gameplay is mostly the same format as comp gameplay

So the current direction is because the game is designed the way it is. TF2 is the only game I know where there is such a huge disagreement on a standard competitive format, because pub and comp play are so different. The further you get from pub play and the more competitive you want to play, you start to realise you have to impose certain restrictions and to bring it as close to option 2 as possible to actually get a competitively playable game.

However you can’t risk doing this for TF2, because the majority aren’t actually tryhard comp players. It’s a difficult situation and I don’t know the solution.

Last edited by kuma,

kuma

Quoted from Koeitje

I’m not a tryhard kuma :(((((((((((((((

unicorns can fly too

actually if you were you’d be playing Quake by now

Last edited by kuma,

Kop

[CiC]
CiC

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
really helpful and insightful points you make here, I feel ETF2L is going in the right direction with people like you in charge.

Dummy etf2l is doing just fine with me on the admin team and with the rest of the admin team, Fact is if u spent hundreds of hours trying to help this league like i have and then people come along and blame us because no-one likes ESL due to the shitty ac system, the terrible website, The pro egos only thinking of themselves then im sorry if i get abit offended by that but i know u would too. We allow everyone the privilidge to advertise ESL on our own forums and what thx do we get? i remember the time when we didnt have this forum for advertising and again there was no real thx when we opened it.

So instead of raging and whining at etf2l for ESL’s failure this season why dont u take a look at what else you personally could have done to improve it.

Dummy

Quoted from Kop

[…]
So instead of raging and whining at etf2l for ESL’s failure this season why dont u take a look at what else you personally could have done to improve it.

I signed up my team for it, badgered friends on steam to do it, and posted in its favour on these forums and in IRC channels, cant think of anything else I couldve done.

Last edited by Dummy,

WildCard

Quoted from Kop

[…]

Dummy etf2l is doing just fine with me on the admin team and with the rest of the admin team, Fact is if u spent hundreds of hours trying to help this league like i have and then people come along and blame us because no-one likes ESL due to the shitty ac system, the terrible website, The pro egos only thinking of themselves then im sorry if i get abit offended by that but i know u would too. We allow everyone the privilidge to advertise ESL on our own forums and what thx do we get? i remember the time when we didnt have this forum for advertising and again there was no real thx when we opened it.

In what way has ESL been a failure this season? Last season i think we had about 115 teams ( cant remember without checking) and we are on track to reach the same amount. We have the largest prize pot for a 6v6 TF2 league ever held at ESL in 7 seasons, and we have the majority of all the top div1/prem teams signed up and actually WANTING to play and help promote the league.

Not to mention nations cup starting soon and other cups.

So since are intention is to cater to the higher tier teams within the community ( not to say the lower divs are not welcome as they are but they msut play by the same ruleset ) I’ll ask again in what way has this been a failure for ESL?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next »