Forum

Changing motherboard and CPU

Created 22nd December 2011 @ 19:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from knuck

Yes, I guess I’ll go for 4x2Gb, the thing with my current HDD is that he only has 420Gb capacity, but besides that I don’t think I’ll buy one, and SSD is still too expensive to get one.
If I get this configuration, will I be able to run BF3 at decent settings like medium/high ?
Is 450W power supply enough to run all of this ?

If its something like Corsair probably, if not then not.

Netsky

I have a 450W thingy, and had an i7, some power eating mainboad, 2 gpus and 5 HDD and the usual other stuff, running perfectly fine. I think everything above 500W is pretty much useless. However… bets on, someone is going to say everything below 1000W is useless ;)

tldr: 450W is for most common pcs good enough

knuck

DA!

Oh nice, and what about the ability to run BF3 :) ?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Netsky

I have a 450W thingy, and had an i7, some power eating mainboad, 2 gpus and 5 HDD and the usual other stuff, running perfectly fine. I think everything above 500W is pretty much useless. However… bets on, someone is going to say everything below 1000W is useless ;)

tldr: 450W is for most common pcs good enough

Depends on your PSU brand. If you try to run that on a sweex it will cut out within 6 months.

george

Quoted from knuck

If I get this configuration, will I be able to run BF3 at decent settings like medium/high ?

Not sure about the GPU but the rest will do fine.

Last edited by george,

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

I’ve had this for a couple of weeks now. Runs smoothly at 4.5ghz.

Do not buy 4GB or ram, just get 8GB (2x4GB since you wanna run dual channel). That shit is cheap anyway. Reuse your old hdd’s unless you want to get a SSD. Buying some shitty 500GB drive is a waste of money. If you insist on a new HDD and not an SSD buy something big (2TB+) because they will be faster.

How does bigger capacity equal faster read/wite speed? Thats a new to me.

Also if youre gonna stick with that GPU, it’ll be the first thing that’ll become a bit of a bottleneck. I doubt you’re going to be able to get more than medium settings on bf3 with it, and also no DX11.

knuck

DA!

Well for now i’m gonna stick with this GPU for now.
I just bought my stuff and finally took ASUS P8H67-V 90€, i5 2500k 195€, Corsair Revenge LP 2x4Gb 38€ and a Corsair GS600 60€ as Power Supply, so as for me next to be able to change my GPU without having to change the Power Supply.
Next things i’ll change when i’ll get some € is another GPU and/or HDD.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Lord Benjamin

[…]

How does bigger capacity equal faster read/wite speed? Thats a new to me.

I said 2x4GB because more RAM isn’t that expensive. I’d always get 8GB ram in total. But you want to have it in 2 sticks, or 4, or 6, that way you can run the memory in dual or triple channel.

If he doesn’t want 8GB, he needs to buy 2x2GB and not 1x4GB.

edit: i see he has bought his stuff :)

Last edited by Koeitje,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

I said 2x4GB because more RAM isn’t that expensive. I’d always get 8GB ram in total. But you want to have it in 2 sticks, or 4, or 6, that way you can run the memory in dual or triple channel.

If he doesn’t want 8GB, he needs to buy 2x2GB and not 1x4GB.

Not really. Whilst on paper dual channel memory results in a big performance improvement over single channel, it simply isn’t so in reality (especially when the alternative is having less load on the memory controller).

I seriously doubt that you would see any benefit to using dual channel over single channel when gaming.

knuck

DA!

The thing that worries me now is being able to install all the stuff in my computer, mostly the power supply with the motherboard etc.
What should I be aware of/take care ? Because last time I installed my old Power Supply, the front USB connections were not working and they are still not working btw, so I’d rather do it well and make them work again :D.
Any advices before then ?

Last edited by knuck,

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

I really wouldn’t worry that much about how to put things together. Just watch some youtube vids. It’s very well possible, that the same exact combination is demonstrated on youtube.

450W should be enough I think, if you want to be sure: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

In case you are going to overclock your CPU/GPU and change voltages, etc, then it might be worth looking at your powersupply. But you’d need another cooler also. Best to keep the default rig like it is, to safe money.

One thing though, I didnt see someone mention this, but make sure your cabinet has enough room to fit in your motherboard, with all the rest.

PS: I think your problem with the USB ports, could be because of a missing driver? When you go to device manager and look at unsupported devices, do you see anything there? Don’t know the exact board but normally you don’t have to connect something extra to get the USB ports working :)

Last edited by Andee,

knuck

DA!

I used your site and apparently I’ll need only 377W, it seems quite low, I might have missed some settings. It doesn’t matter since like I said, yesterday I bought a Corsair GS600.
I’ve thought about the fact that I might not be able to put everything in my case, but we’ll see :)
I can’t tell for now for the USB thingy, I don’t have my computer with me now. The thing is that I can plug my headset at the front, there are only the USB’s that aren’t working.
I’ll be able to tell you that in 3 days :)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Did you plug in the connectors for the front USB ports?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Not really. Whilst on paper dual channel memory results in a big performance improvement over single channel, it simply isn’t so in reality (especially when the alternative is having less load on the memory controller).

I seriously doubt that you would see any benefit to using dual channel over single channel when gaming.

I’m not saying there is a huge performance difference (.5%-2%-ish). But why would you run single when you can run dual channel for the same price.

Load on the memory controller? Lol. In the end dual channel is still faster.

4 sticks is worse than 2 though, because timings will have to relaxed a bit on most mobo’s.

Last edited by Koeitje,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Koeitje

Load on the memory controller? Lol. In the end dual channel is still faster.

More load on memory controller = bye decent FSB OC. You’ll see far better results getting one stick and getting a better FSB OC than you’ll see from dual channel.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »