Forum

Changing motherboard and CPU

Created 22nd December 2011 @ 19:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

knuck

DA!

Hello, I’ve thought of changing my motherboard and CPU. Actually I have Intel Core 2 Duo E6420, an old motherboard that I can’t remember the name, 4Go RAM, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD4890.
I made some researches and found :
– Intel i5-2500K (3.3Ghz)
– ASUS P8H67
I’d like to know what can I get for the lowest possible and if what I found is good enough to play decently some new games, I can spend around 280€.

Thanks a lot.
Edit : Mistaken, thanks Wolf

Last edited by knuck,

Wolf :D

PStM
DStS

gpu =/= cpu

Netsky

just make sure the RAM fits the new board…

oh and Go is only used in France get used to the Gb…

Last edited by Netsky,

alf

u wont be able to use ur old ram

2500k 200 bucks
8gb ddr3 30 bucks
ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3) 80 bucks

roundabout 310

Last edited by alf,

vøid

According to your picks: ( which are very decent btw )

i5-2500k => 190€ ( amazon.fr )
P8H67 B3 => 92€ ( rue du commerce )
Corsair vengeance 2*4Gb pc12800 => 38€ ( amazon.fr )

total : 320€

you wont be able to use old DDR2 on the newest MB

Last edited by vøid,

knuck

DA!

Yeah, I know that I won’t be able to use my old DDR2 on this motherboard.
But the thing that worries me more is the installation, I’ve never done this before, I tried to see how should I do to make it but, do I have to reinstall my OS ? Do I necessarily have to put some thermal paste on the processor before putting the ventirad ?

alf

ofc u have to.
+ i would recommend you to buy an extra cpu cooler, because the original one is very loud

f.e. mugen 3 or thermaltake macho

p.s. dont be intimidated its not that difficult.

Last edited by alf,

knuck, just watch a few youtube vids, that’s it… it really isnt that fucking difficult :D

Яyan

It’s like lego

If you’re worried, take note of what was plugged in before the change, and make sure it’s all applied after the change.

DarkSlayer

Quoted from alf

u wont be able to use ur old ram

2500k 200 bucks
8gb ddr3 30 bucks
ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3) 80 bucks

roundabout 310

yep i got this exact build the other week- awesome price to performance ratio with some good OC options

knuck

DA!

The thing is that I’ll go back to my town, so I won’t be able to change the stuff back if I take the wrong stuff…
So I think I found what I will buy :
– Asus P8H67-V
– Corsair DDR3 XMS3 2×2 Gb or maybe 2x4Gb since many of you advise me to take 8Gb :D
– Intel Core i5 2500K
And maybe some other stuff like Seagate Barracuda 500Gb SATA III
What do you think of this ?

P.S. : Tero, turpa kiinni

Last edited by knuck,

DarkSlayer

if you are going with 4gb, get 1x4gb then you can upgrade anytime easier.

knuck

DA!

I read that 2x2Gb was better than 4x1Gb, not sure though

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from DarkSlayer

[…]

yep i got this exact build the other week- awesome price to performance ratio with some good OC options

I’ve had this for a couple of weeks now. Runs smoothly at 4.5ghz.

Do not buy 4GB or ram, just get 8GB (2x4GB since you wanna run dual channel). That shit is cheap anyway. Reuse your old hdd’s unless you want to get a SSD. Buying some shitty 500GB drive is a waste of money. If you insist on a new HDD and not an SSD buy something big (2TB+) because they will be faster.

Last edited by Koeitje,

knuck

DA!

Yes, I guess I’ll go for 4x2Gb, the thing with my current HDD is that he only has 420Gb capacity, but besides that I don’t think I’ll buy one, and SSD is still too expensive to get one.
If I get this configuration, will I be able to run BF3 at decent settings like medium/high ?
Is 450W power supply enough to run all of this ?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »