Forum

ahci

Created 30th October 2011 @ 14:59

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Shifty

Hey there,
so basically a friend of mine was talking bout switch his hdd from IDE to ahci mode, but he had no real reason for it and therefore couldnt explain why he was doing so.
So I’m asking: Whats the difference ? Does it benefit you in any way ?

Thank’s, Shifty

baerbel

trick17
trick17

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+ide+and+ahci

Shifty

Way to difficult for me, also chris and the other techs are so handsome i wanted them to answer !!

Last edited by Shifty,

AnimaL

its faster

Link!

.:ne:.

Quoted from baerbel

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+ide+and+ahci

what’s the point of a support forum if everyone just posts this crap

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Only really worth it on SSD’s, otherwise the difference is only marginal.

quad

all I know is, if your OS/system or we, is installed with IDE mode, then you need to reformat/reinstall OS to even make it boot up with ACHI

Shifty

Thank’s guysh,
@quad: really ? i think my mate did it with some reg edit, not 100% sure though.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from quad

all I know is, if your OS/system or we, is installed with IDE mode, then you need to reformat/reinstall OS to even make it boot up with ACHI

True for XP, not true for Vista/7. If you can use AHCI, use it. You may see a performance benefit depending on your hardware, either way it does provide other nice features.

quad

well, I read a page at microsoft support website, that I had to reinstall under achi in bios..

fu microsoft.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

From Wikipedia:
Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista and Windows 7, do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot with an error message if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode. For this reason, Intel recommends changing the drive controller to AHCI or RAID before installing an operating system.[1] On Windows Vista and Windows 7, this can be fixed by setting non-AHCI mode in the BIOS then booting and changing the registry, then changing the BIOS setting to AHCI.[3]

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from quad

well, I read a page at microsoft support website, that I had to reinstall under achi in bios..

fu microsoft.

You are both kinda right. Windows will BSOD if you go from an IDE install to setting AHCI in the bios (you won’t get passed the loading screen on win7). But if you edit the register and then reboot and change the bios settings everything is cool.

octochris

(0v0)

I can switch it fine no problem without requiring any registry change. That shit is wrong.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from octochris

I can switch it fine no problem without requiring any registry change. That shit is wrong.

Sure, whatever. It’s not like I actually tried that a couple of days ago.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Sure, whatever. It’s not like I actually tried that a couple of days ago.

I literally just tried it right now. cu@lan kootchy!

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »