Forum

ahci

Created 30th October 2011 @ 14:59

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Shifty

Yo,
i just switched to ahci but before i checked the reg, you have to set the key value of “start” in “msahci” to “0” but that was the case for me anyway, no idea why.
So in the end i just rebooted changed to ahci and it booted just fine, gonna see how this runs but so far no problems.

Skyride

DUCS

If your PC reaches your desktop with no problems thats it, sorted.

Also lol at the rubbish Koeitje and quad are spewing.

Last edited by Skyride,

quad

Quoted from octochris

[…]

I literally just tried it right now. cu@lan kootchy!

Well, im sure if you already installed with achi, and switch around, you wont have the problem.(????stomp on me)

I did when I upgraded my pc recently, the bios was set default with achi
bsod everytime I reached windows (even in safemode)

Read the manual, said I should switch to IDE mode, then it booted.

Also reformated now with achi, and works.

Last edited by quad,

Skyride

DUCS

Take a step back and realise that IDE and AHCI are both just different version of the same thing: A protocol for your operating system to speak to disk drive. There is a default AHCI driver, a default IDE driver, and various optimised motherboard-specific ones. The problem is that once upon a time back when Windows XP was released, AHCI didn’t exist. IDE was the older spec that had been in use for years, and wasn’t likely to go anywhere soon. Microsoft put the default IDE driver in the operating system by default, bam, done.

Then along comes AHCI a few years later. It was designed to take full use of all the improvements that SATA had over IDE. Motherboard manufacturers include it immediately, however knowing that Windows XP doesn’t support AHCI out of the box, they put IDE emulation in motherboards for SATA devices, so that the user doesn’t have to deal with getting the drivers working. Then along comes Vista which supports AHCI and IDE out of the box and everyone’s happy.

Motherboards you buy today still usually have IDE emulation set as the default simply to avoid confusion.

Here’s the thing, people like you who can’t be bothered to spend 2 minutes googling assume its a catch 22. You can’t set up AHCI because you can#t boot into windows while AHCI mode is enabled. Wrong. What you need to do is find the AHCI drivers on your motherboard manufacturers website, install them, THEN go back and turn in AHCI.

tl;dr: You’re completely overcomplicating it. IDE needs a driver, AHCI needs a driver, Windows XP just doesn’t have an AHCI driver installed by default.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from octochris

[…]

I literally just tried it right now. cu@lan kootchy!

You installed your Win7 version using a HDD on AHCI instead of IDE….

quad

so basicly.. noone stated anything wrong, just you elitist technical pricks saying its all wrong, instead of giving a proper explaination of how to do it easy.. untill now.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

You installed your Win7 version using a HDD on AHCI instead of IDE….

No. I had the AHCI driver installed, but I installed it in IDE mode.

dauk

http://youtu.be/CFupStJtosw

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Skyride

If your PC reaches your desktop with no problems thats it, sorted.

Also lol at the rubbish Koeitje and quad are spewing.

Stop being a complete idiot please. Win7 x64 does not enable AHCI drivers by default, at least not if you install Win7 x64 using IDE compatibility. A simple registry edit enables those drivers. If you do not have the drivers enabled you won’t reach the desktop and your pc will crash a soon as the Windows logo shows. This is a known issue, and you can talk all you want but it wont change a damn thing.

@Chris: exactly. If you manually install it it gets enabled ;). By default Windows doesn’t enable the driver.

Last edited by Koeitje,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Koeitje

@Chris: exactly. If you manually install it it gets enabled ;). By default Windows doesn’t enable the driver.

which is not what you said at all.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from octochris

[…]

which is not what you said at all.

I know, but you did it the hard way ;).

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Koeitje

Stop being a complete idiot please. Win7 x64 does not enable AHCI drivers by default, at least not if you install Win7 x64 using IDE compatibility.

Drivers don’t get “enabled”. It doesn’t work like that.

I don’t know who you are trying to impress. You are honestly just talking total shit. If it doesn’t work for you, then I’m sorry but it has nothing to do with how windows handles the AHCI drivers.

For what you’re saying to be true, there would have to be one exception in the I/O handler mentioning specifically THIS driver having a COMPLETELY different behavior to every single other driver ever written for a windows machine.

TonyGappa

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

I don’t know who you are trying to impress. You are honestly just talking total shit. If it doesn’t work for you, then I’m sorry but it has nothing to do with how windows handles the AHCI drivers.

For what you’re saying to be true, there would have to be one exception in the I/O handler mentioning specifically THIS driver having a COMPLETELY different behavior to every single other driver ever written for a windows machine.

Koeitje is not wrong:

During the Windows 7 or Windows Vista installation process, any unused storage drivers are disabled. This behavior speeds up the operating system’s startup process. When you change the boot drive to a driver that has been disabled, you must enable the new driver before you change the hardware configuration.

For example, assume that you install Windows Vista or Windows 7 on a computer that contains a controller that uses the Pciide.sys driver. Later, you change the SATA mode to AHCI. Therefore, the drive must now load the Msahci.sys driver. However, you must enable the Msahci.sys driver before you make this change.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us

Shifty

nvm.

Last edited by Shifty,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

I’m terribly sorry. I guess my hands-on experience and MFST’s knowledge base were both incorrect :(. I suggest you contact MFST and let them know that it is all an elaborate lie and that they don’t understand their own products.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »