Forum

Best CPU for price/performance

Created 12th October 2011 @ 21:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Stimpy

Q6600 g0 stepping, clock it to 3.4ghz.

seen no real differance between my old Q6600 vs my i7 2600k.

Fps is still arround 200 + – a bit now and then, maybe a little bit more stable fps but thats about all.

Costs about 70-80 the Q6600 g0 stepping. ebay!

Last edited by Stimpy,

Forsak3n

S

Get i5 2500k it is > everything.
Stable 260fps on mid-fight without overclock ;p

AnimaL

q6600 is prolly worst thing u could buy atm if ur thinking of getting new system for tf2 (cpu+mobo+ram)

DarkSlayer

Quoted from Forsak3n

Get i5 2500k it is > everything.
Stable 260fps on mid-fight without overclock ;p

il be getting this :)

DarkSlayer

So im looking for a good cooler for it so i can reach 4Ghz+ as i want this build to last more than a year or so, any recommendations?

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from AnimaL

q6600 is prolly worst thing u could buy atm if ur thinking of getting new system for tf2 (cpu+mobo+ram)

have to agree. EVEN if you did over clock it, its still a big bottleneck, hence why I went from Q6600 to i5 2500k.

Stimpy

Quoted from AnimaL

LOL well why does my i7 2600k at 4.4ghz still only get the same as my old Q6600? which was @ 3.4.

Personaly think its bullshit, I see no real diff. if u have a quad core, you will see no diff.

maybe my FPS is slightly more stable, but wow 10-15 fps stabilty for £440 good job.

New spec:
Intel i7 2600k (best u can get, Sandybridge.)
Asus Sabertooth p67 (one of the best value for money boards.)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (high average.)
180GB Vertex 2 SSD
ATI HD 4890 XT (Old will update @ crimbo.)

Results: +10 – 15 FPS Good job. (maybe slightly more stable FPS.)

CPU usage in game about 25% GPU usage 100% or 75% is capped at 150 fps.

1440×900 all set to high with chris’s max quality config.

Quoted from DarkSlayer

So im looking for a good cooler for it so i can reach 4Ghz+ as i want this build to last more than a year or so, any recommendations?

can hit 4ghz with stock cooler if u know about overclocking, but tbh its pointless.

—Edit—
Out of interest, think you should all download GPU-z and look at the GPU load. think u will find the GPU is used more than you think. 90% of u are restricted by GPU not CPU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2039m/GPU-Z.0.5.5.exe link for you all, goto sensors and look at GPU load, if you tick both boxes at the bottom it will write it to a log, if u have 2 screens then run on ur other screen and look at the gpu load.

My advice would still be if u have a quad core dont waste your money like i did, or if you do waste it on a new GPU.

Last edited by Stimpy,

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from Stimpy

[…]

Personaly think its bullshit

Good for you. The i5 2500k destroys the q6600 in every single way. It’s almost 2012, I think it’s about time to stop recommending a cpu released in 2007.

Stimpy

Quoted from Linus

[…]

Good for you. The i5 2500k destroys the q6600 in every single way. It’s almost 2012, I think it’s about time to stop recommending a cpu released in 2007.

On paper my i7 destorys ur i5, but still does’t improve my fps vs yours. so whats your point?

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from Stimpy

[…]

On paper my i7 destorys ur i5, but still does’t improve my fps vs yours. so whats your point?

I don’t have an i5, i have an i7 2600k. The i5 2500k delivers pretty much the same performance as the 2600k in games, but surely you realized that before buying… right? As cpu’s are not exclusively designed for gaming/tf2..

Stimpy

Quoted from Linus

[…]

I don’t have an i5, i have an i7 2600k. The i5 2500k delivers pretty much the same performance as the 2600k in games, but surely you realized that before buying… right? As cpu’s are not exclusively designed for gaming/tf2..

k, so think u are learning slowly. So why is my fps no diff on my I7 vs my Q6600?

My point was that if he wants to improve FPS, CPU is not they way. if he has a quad core stick with it, if his goal is solely to impove FPS.

Last edited by Stimpy,

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from Stimpy

[…]

k, so think u are learning slowly. So why is my fps no diff on my I7 vs my Q6600?

*sigh*

You are running the game at max detail (in fact, you are using Chris’ config to go beyond the games default max settings) which will put stress on the GPU rather than the CPU, therefore, the GPU will become the bottleneck(especially considering the 4890 isnt all that amazing anymore)

If you ran an fps config like most gamers do in comp, then you would see huge amounts of incrase even in TF2. Amazing.

Last edited by Linus,

Stimpy

Quoted from Linus

[…]

*sigh*

You are running the game at max detail (in fact, you are using Chris’ config to go beyond the games default max settings) which will put stress on the GPU rather than the CPU, therefore, the GPU will become the bottleneck(especially considering the 4890 isnt all that amazing anymore)

If you ran an fps config like most gamers do in comp, then you would see huge amounts of incrase even in TF2. Amazing.

Sure FPS config… make the game look like a C64, would certainly give me more FPS approx 200-800 more fps if i made it look like a C64 (will try tonight.) just seems pointless to make it look like shit, everyone has there own pref I guess.

Would be interesting to see people GPU’z results tho with there GPU load, sure it will be more than CPU load. maybe the results could prove people bottlenecks?!?!

I’d play TF2 that looks like a C64.

Stimpy

Quoted from Tommy Testosterone

I’d play TF2 that looks like a C64.

close as it will get http://ganggarrison.com/ Enjoy…

Last edited by Stimpy,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »