Forum

1 person on ethernet killing my connection, help :(

Created 1st November 2010 @ 02:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

dougiie

CotC

Hey, basically in a student house, 4 of us – 50mb fibre optic package, when 3 of us are in the house (1 plays wow + vent etc) I can have a nice ping / good dl etc, now heres the problem…

The room in which the router is located is in one of the girls rooms… and as soon as she uses the internet my ping goes to 200 and webpages struggle to load. She is “100% sure” its because of distance to the router and nothing else. She is the only person using ethernet connection. The distance to the router is literally the thin floor under me.

Should 1 person connecting through ethernet kill my connection so bad? Or should I contact Virgin Media..? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

edit : speed test at 2am http://www.speedtest.net/result/1012132725.png
When she is on her pc, dl reads 4/5 and ping 160-300 :(

Last edited by dougiie,

Skyride

DUCS

Oh, I thought you’d said it was just when she was playing WoW?

Right, her pc is probably filled with viruses, I get the same problem with my sister and regularly need to wipe her laptop.

Greg

Quoted from Skyride

Oh, I thought you’d said it was just when she was playing WoW?

Right, her pc is probably filled with viruses, I get the same problem with my sister and regularly need to wipe her laptop.

That or she is using Skype. Friends of mine get the same problem in TF2 or w/e when someone is on Skype. They also live in a student house so it may be worth looking into etc.

octochris

(0v0)

“Distance to the router” when using a wired connection is complete bullshit. That won’t affect the speed of your connection to the degree you’re describing, she clearly doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

Maybe implement QoS?

Last edited by octochris,

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Quoted from octochris

Implement QoS?

This, had much the same issue.

naMu

LAITON
KUKKO!

Her unit is full of virus programs or her Network card is busted. When I was living in a student housing we had 100mb fiber for 6 apartments and always when one dude put his computer on the whole connection pretty much died to others. Problem was that this dude had a broken network card and soon as he changed it, problems disappeared.

Last edited by naMu,

Biohazard

IDK

Quoted from octochris

Maybe implement QoS?

This

<3 Grem we are still friends then? :P Me and excessiveevil share connection with die-hard Skype users (my fiancée and our weird house mate). giving me and him a 200 kbps (small but enough) guarantee on both tcp and udp upload solved the problems. Hope it helps dougie.

dougiie

CotC

cheers for the replies :)

don’t really know anything about Qos so I’ll check it out today!

Kyller

Install cFosSpeed on her comp http://www.cfos.de/traffic_shaping/ts_options_e.htm#multi_user

dave

TIDS
TSGHUH

Quoted from Kyller

Install cFosSpeed on her comp http://www.cfos.de/traffic_shaping/ts_options_e.htm#multi_user

this.
plus: it’s probably best if you install it on all machines and set the traffic shaping mode to net talk.

OR: get a decent router with a good qos implementation (e.g. pfSense).

Last edited by dave,

Archy

guru
G-Yoda

You pretty much answered your own question, tell her to switch to wlan.

trams

-><-

Or tell her to stop using spotify.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from trams

Or tell her to stop using spotify.

god that kills our network QoS works but for some reason doesn’t help alot with mumble which is odd as I thought mumble had its own qos built in.. and I like Dug have Virgin.

Ched

.tony

Tell her to stop using spotify.

Genmix

bobs

spot using stopify

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »