Forum

Insane Fps drops

Created 8th August 2010 @ 01:57

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

Hi etf2l forum, I need your help (again).

A couple of days ago I started having crazy fps problems (jumps anywhere from 1-300), I have not changed anything on my hardware and as far as software goes I’ve only installed some new games that’s it.
The thing is I shouldn’t be having these problems, it doesn’t matter if I use m0res/chris ugliest cfg I still get the same drops as when if I’m playing vanilla.

My specs:

Intel Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
4 GB Ram (@ 800mhz)
GeForce 8800 GTS 640 mb ram

So far I’ve tried:

*Switching off Multi-core rendering
*2 of Chris fps configs
*2 of m0res
*vanilla
*setting everything to lowest and using resolution 640×480 (no difference in fps)
*re-installing the game 2 times.
*defrag on game files
*defrag on harddrive
*setting max fps
*installing the latest drivers for my graphics card

Other games work fine on the comp, just tf2 acting up.

would appreciate any suggestions and If you’re able to solve this problem for me I’ll reward you with a cheap steam game (5 euros).

Last edited by Old_Grandma,

AnimaL

pls do snowies timedemo on maxframes @ 1280×1024 or lower

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Old_Grandma

I KNOW WHO THE MURDERER IS, WATSON!

Last edited by octochris,

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

Quoted from octochris

[…]

I KNOW WHO THE MURDERER IS, WATSON!

thing is, it worked great locked @ 120 fps with your config a week ago, been playing without any problems untill a few days ago. but then all of a sudden it acts up.

animal: where can I find snowies demo? google didn’t really give me any helpfull hints :P

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Old_Grandma

[…]

thing is, it worked great locked @ 120 fps with your config a week ago, been playing without any problems untill a few days ago. but then all of a sudden it acts up.

welcome to the wonderful world of microsoft products and updates

didn’t see it mentioned, did you try deleting autoexec.cfg, removing everything except for binds from config.cfg, running tf2 with only the launch option -autoconfig, and reinstalling the autoexec/launch options?

Last edited by octochris,

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

yeah I did, sorry that I forgot to mention that.

Dogghi

бекон

Overheating? Maybe try to clean your pc from dust and keep the case opened while you play to see if you still have fps drop. It happened to me, and keeping opened the case improved fps; or simply check temperatures with a random software.

AnimaL

Quoted from Old_Grandma

[…]
animal: where can I find snowies demo? google didn’t really give me any helpfull hints :P

http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-10689/?recent=194936

Atty

ORKZORKZORKZORK

You could try this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356735
I’ve heard it helps.

lolage

TSPAG

Quoted from Dogghi

Overheating? Maybe try to clean your pc from dust and keep the case opened while you play to see if you still have fps drop. It happened to me, and keeping opened the case improved fps; or simply check temperatures with a random software.

I vouch this.

If you aint checked for a while chances are your gonna find a load of dust in your CPU/GPU fan. I used to struggle with fps, cleaned both those fans out and had loads more fps. Seriously try it unless you know for sure its sparkle clean.

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

I’m finding it hard to believe it’s overheating since other games that are more demanding run smoother (BF BC2, Bioshock 2 etc)

Checked temp during load and it’s about 37 on cpu and gpu is at 66 which is decent

What puzzles me is what i mentioned in OP, doesnt matter if I run it at 640×480 and shittiest quality or max everything, still the same drops, there is no difference in performance at all.

atty: thanks for the tip but like I mentioned in the OP i already tried re-installing it twice.

lolage

TSPAG

Quoted from Old_Grandma

I’m finding it hard to believe it’s overheating since other games that are more demanding run smoother (BF BC2, Bioshock 2 etc)

Checked temp during load and it’s about 37 on cpu and gpu is at 66 which is decent

What puzzles me is what i mentioned in OP, doesnt matter if I run it at 640×480 and shittiest quality or max everything, still the same drops, there is no difference in performance at all.

atty: thanks for the tip but like I mentioned in the OP i already tried re-installing it twice.

At least try it, TF2 is more demanding than you may think with all the updates which seem to slowly fuck the game up a little bit.

jonii

fm-eSportstf2

Quoted from Old_Grandma

same exact problem as you mate (although the fps vary between 120 (because of fps_max 120) and ~50/60

chris is probably right about windows 7 64bit being the issue :(

insanity

I have exactly the same problem, but i didnt bother because it usually drops down to 50/60 max.

Im using Windows Vista 64-Bit though, so i doubt windows 7 is the problem.

Last edited by insanity,

AnimaL

xp>vista>w7 in terms of game perfomance

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »