Forum

Books

Created 5th June 2013 @ 01:59

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Favourite books people. I got a nook so I need some ideas of stuff to download and read in the lovely sunshine instead of wasting my time sucking at video games. Suggestions?

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Ideal genre?

Will

War and Peace

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Any genre, I like a lot of stuff.

taro

A couple of books I enjoyed reading recently were Little Brother by Cory Doctorow and You are Not So Smart by David McRaney, check em out.

And I loved The Demonata series by Darren Shan when I was a kid, that doesn’t mean they are kids books at all though. It’s probably my favourite book series of all time :)

Last edited by taro,

Muerte

elev8

The Demon Cycle is a pretty epic fantasy series (by Peter V Brett). Currently only 3 books (with a 4th spin-off that gives more back story to the main character).

Another fantasy in the process of being written is the Lightbringer Series (by Brent Weeks). Only 2 books atm.

And if you fancy a completed series (again fantasy), The Night Angel Trilogy (by Brent Weeks) is a good call. There is, as with my first suggestion, a 4th spinoff book (only available in e-book format though if I remember correctly) that gives some backstory.

All really good. :)

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Ace

Quoted from FUN POLICE RUINS TF2

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Oh god no

if a 1000 page book that contains a completely one sided argument that ends with a 60 page speech essentially saying “I’m right and you’re all scum” doesn’t interest you then you have no taste

Herr_P

IKEA

Right, let’s do this.

For all time favorites: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman is a must-read. Brilliant book by two equally brilliant authors.

Anything else by Pratchett is also worth reading, especially the Discworld series. They’re on the slightly sillier side of fantasy but give them a chance and you will get stuck. I’ll leave recommendations for more serious fantasy to other people since I mostly read sci-fi.

Speaking of sci-fi: I really recommend reading Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. If you like it then take a peek at the other books in the series (Especially Ender’s Shadow & Speaker for the Dead).
I’d also recommend Larry Niven’s Ringworld and Paul Melko’s Singularity’s Ring (mostly mindblowingly good).

Google-it-yourself list of other great books: 1984, Oryx and Crake, World War Z, Metro 2033, Asimovs collected works, Blade Runner, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, Dune and Neuromancer.

To finish with what I’ve read recently: A Writer at War which details the eastern front through the eyes of Vasily Grossman (Who would go on to write Life and Fate).
Currently reading Creating Emotions in Games. Great book if you’re interested in storytelling & games.

tldr I like books, have some links, probably forgot a lot

ps fuck Ayn Rand ds

Edit: David Copperfield by Dickens and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky is awesome. Tolstoy is a major bore though.

Last edited by Herr_P,

dAGNER

duplo

For all the angsty teens :3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Hard_Road_Out_of_Hell

Sarah

If you have watched fight club and liked it without reading the book start reading Chuck Palahniuk. I suggest Invisible Monster and Choke but they are all pretty much awesome. Also I’ve read Looking for Alaska, was really good, and I am reading now Design Flaws of the Human Condition, by Paul Schmidtberger.

gilbert

Richard Feynman- ‘The character of physical law’

Henghast

open
bobs

Anything by Philip K Dick

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Phillip Reeve – Mortal Engines (Name of quartet + first book)

Gooood.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »