Forum

BEST SMARTPHONE ON EARTH

Created 11th October 2012 @ 19:45

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Galaxy S3 is beastly powerful but the build quality is shocking, it also looks like utter shit. Should wait for the new Nexus droid which is apparently going to be made by LG, that looks pretty tasty.

There’s a S3 mini that’s just been announced but again, as Samsung made it, it looks shit.

At the moment you have droid phones that are really powerful but the majority looks shit or have poor build quality which is sort of dragging it down. If you had the S3 internals in an S2 shell that would be amazing.

Spike Himself

TC

Got the s3 a while ago. It’s great :>

octochris

(0v0)

S3 is amazing, but I’d much rather get a lower end smartphone and a nice tablet instead, especially with the N7 being as cheap as it is.

Last edited by octochris,

lexs

BeachBoys
vier

Galaxy Nexus with JellyBeans

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from octochris

S3 is amazing, but I’d much rather get a lower end smartphone and a nice tablet instead, especially with the N7 being as cheap as it is.

This man has it nailed. A good phone is nice, but like, I’ve had an Asus Transformer tablet for a few months now and it’s probably one of the best things I have ever purchased. It has a keyboard, a fucking keyboard, and I get almost 2 days use out of the battery.

Last edited by Skyride,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

and I get almost 2 days use out of the battery.

Yeah, this needs to be said; if you do plan on getting the S3, better have your charger with you all the time :D

Sketch

MM

yea I have had top end smartphones. Everything but the shitty iphones. sadly their functionality as actual phones/ messengers is pretty poor. Smartphones seem to receive poor signal strength in rural areas compared with simple brick phones like I used to have.

I am returning to Laptop, Mp3 player and Phone that is a Phone combo that i always used to have.

gonna get a basic laptop with an i3

an sanza clip+ with a practical devices headphone amp. might get a big micro sd for all my flac files too :D

and a basic smartphone such as a galaxy ace or htc wildfire (whatever is equivalent mid range when my contract is up and I can easily run a cyanogen rom on) I may even get the old htc desire that i had a few years ago as that phone was just flawless compared with the succession of shit bloatware infested, awkward to hack, devices I have had since!

frixx

LG

I find tablets rather useless and waste of money.

+1 sketch

vaxjo

Hey dats!

What makes “best”? What do you want to do with it?
I’d get a 170€ nokia lumia or other brand lower-cost WP7 device. Smart enough for normal tasks like browsing the net, mp3, videos, email, gps etc.

If you want to twiddle around a lot and customize stuff, android is probably the way to go with its big app library(steam, more site-specific readers etc)

Having used HTC Desire(android) for a couple of years it’s pretty amazing what all you can do.. but then again I don’t want to underclock my next phone to save battery power, root it to give specific permissions or run stuff from the SD card that should run on the phone itself when in reality I just want to check if I’m getting attention on facebook.

If you’re filthy rich, get a 500€-> supercomputer(android/iOS). If not, I’d recommend a cheaper WP7 device.
If you plan on playing games on the thing(we are on etf2l after all) and want a beastly GPU in it then I don’t what the hell, most experience I have is from angry birds.

Sketch

MM

Quoted from vaxjo

What makes “best”? What do you want to do with it?
I’d get a 170€ nokia lumia or other brand lower-cost WP7 device. Smart enough for normal tasks like browsing the net, mp3, videos, email, gps etc.

If you want to twiddle around a lot and customize stuff, android is probably the way to go with its big app library(steam, more site-specific readers etc)

Having used HTC Desire(android) for a couple of years it’s pretty amazing what all you can do.. but then again I don’t want to underclock my next phone to save battery power, root it to give specific permissions or run stuff from the SD card that should run on the phone itself when in reality I just want to check if I’m getting attention on facebook.

If you’re filthy rich, get a 500€-> supercomputer(android/iOS). If not, I’d recommend a cheaper WP7 device.
If you plan on playing games on the thing(we are on etf2l after all) and want a beastly GPU in it then I don’t what the hell, most experience I have is from angry birds.

I have always found that after I rip out the horrid rom that my phones come with and put cyanogen on there that the battery increases by about half a day.

Trane

I have absolutely no use for a tablet, and plenty of use for a phone, I’ve no idea what you guys are on about RE: getting a tablet and a cheap phone.

Maybe if you commute on public transport or something. But of course to be able to use mobile data you’d need to have either 2 contracts or one rather expensive one, I really don’t think it’s gonna be cheaper.

I do agree with WAR RE: the build quality of the S3, it’s not fantastic, but it has the benefit of being super light. I wrapped mine in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-SA-310-SILICRYLIC-DualPro-Samsung/dp/B008B820SS

It’s worth having a decent case if you;re shelling out for a top end phone.

Just for reference my S3 is cost me £250 and is £10 PCM (£490 over the 2 year contract length).

vaxjo

Hey dats!

Quoted from Sketch

[…]

I have always found that after I rip out the horrid rom that my phones come with and put cyanogen on there that the battery increases by about half a day.

I’m running some barebones 2.2 version of android with a separate launcher(basically the user interface and what you can do with it?) bought from the android market.
It’s nice to be able to all this and learn a bit more about how the phone works but next time I’d like a more streamlined, friendlier out of box experience.

If you’re rocking some 12-bit colour piece of plastic and try out a friend’s fancy new toy it must be tempting to get one and install every five star app there is but I don’t know, it gets old after a while.
OP didn’t really give much to go on. Samsung GSIII looks pretty impressive on paper.

Quoted from Trane

I have absolutely no use for a tablet, and plenty of use for a phone, I’ve no idea what you guys are on about RE: getting a tablet and a cheap phone.

Maybe if you commute on public transport or something. But of course to be able to use mobile data you’d need to have either 2 contracts or one rather expensive one, I really don’t think it’s gonna be cheaper.

I don’t know about tablets but as I said it’s a bit unclear what the phone will be used for(other than classic phone stuff, duh)
What’s the gain from a 500€ smartphone compared to a 150€ one if he just reads ETF2L and listens to music with it.

Last edited by vaxjo,

vaxjo

Hey dats!

Jesus, Galaxy S3 screen is 4.8 inches? Personally I wouldn’t want to carry such gargantuan with me, ease of 1-hand use and all. They seem to be coming out with a Galaxy S3 mini.
Line between PC’s, tablets and phones sure is dimming..

Trane

Quoted from vaxjo

I don’t know about tablets but as I said it’s a bit unclear what the phone will be used for(other than classic phone stuff, duh)
What’s the gain from a 500€ smartphone compared to a 150€ one if he just reads ETF2L and listens to music with it.

Well, the thread title kind of insinuates he wants the best available, not the cheaper alternative. I was just contesting the point that you would be better off with a tablet and a cheap phone – because that’s quite a sizeable monthly outlay on call/text/data roaming charges.

But as you say, the screen on the S3 is pretty large it’s not miles away from a tablet anyway. My last phone was the HTC desire and the increase in size has had zero negative impact, it still fits all my pockets etc and I prefer the two handed approach anyway, always have – it’s not as if I ever need to send a text message whilst making an omelette.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

If you need a 3rd party rom to make the phone work it’s not a phone worth buying. Just buy a Nexus model, iPhone or any WP8 phone.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »