CS 1.6 dropped from the next IEM season

Created 14th June 2012 @ 17:34

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

About time… http://www.esl-world.net/masters/season7/news/196142/

Counter-Strike 1.6 will be taken off the main titles list for the upcoming 2012-2013 Intel Extreme Masters season.
Over the six seasons in the Intel Extreme Masters, Counter-Strike 1.6 brought a lot of fantastic moments to our events and its community contributed enormously towards its global growth. We hope we have delivered a great deal of entertainment and emotions in return.

For a truly global project like ours, with events on four different continents and many different countries, we require game titles with professional players and teams from all corners of the world. In the recent years of Counter-Strike 1.6, the game has retained its status of a top professional game in Europe but declined in other parts of the world. This was evident at our events outside of Europe.

With this as the basis, we have decided to take Counter-Strike off the main titles list. This means that if CS 1.6 will be featured at an event, it will only be for certain events where it is a perfect fit for the Intel Extreme Masters locally.

The legacy of CS in the Intel Extreme Masters is one of the greatest stories in all of ESL. The names of the champions of all six seasons will be engraved on every Intel Extreme Masters season final trophy a player or a team will ever win.

– Michał “Carmac” Blicharz, Director of Pro Gaming

rytis

PrettyGay

cs 1.6 is dead
tf2 to take part in IEM?!

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

First quake, now cs 1.6.
yay for fps esports

DarkSlayer

any idea what its being replaced by until cs:go is released and proven game?

WLL

Quoted from CanFo

About time… http://www.esl-world.net/masters/season7/news/196142/
[…]

About time? Well, CSS to step in ! oh wait . Or CS:GO .. sick gameplay .. oh wait.
CS 1.6 is still the best FPS game, but its only in europe big enough … very sad

TWEEKARN\

ez-sports.ru

nothing can replace 1.6

evokje

WiK?

Not sure if IEM already have Dota2 but if not then it is most likely going to be dota2

Forsak3n

S

shootmania?

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Dota 2 is highly unlikely because Turtle Entertainment is working very closely with (read: get loads of money from) Riot (League of Legends) and they won’t be happy if a direct competitor is added to one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world.
CS:GO will be released in time and most likely step in to save the FPS genre as a world wide eSports.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from TWEEKARN\

nothing can replace 1.6

Because nothing that bad has been released yet? :D /provocativetrolling
What about Tribes? /moveprovocativetrolling

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Because nothing that bad has been released yet? :D /provocativetrolling
What about Tribes? /moveprovocativetrolling

this is the second thread in 2 days where you write what i think, weird.

trams

-><-

Quoted from CanFo

CS:GO will be released in time and most likely step in to save the FPS genre as a world wide eSports.

Eeeh, no? CS:GO is like trying to mend something that is really broken with gaffa tape.
FPS esports needs a “new” game.

Lithium

I’ve recently played 1.6 which I didn’t for ages and I was pissed off by the new jump system… No silent walk nor bunny hopping anymore, in my opinion they just killed the game. Slowing 1.6 was a big mistake I think. Now it would be difficult to trully replace this game and I don’t think we’ll have another hit of this kind cause things have changed.

Hope TF2 and maybe Shootmania will get through this and make their way to the top of esport.

blind

popkõrns

yea about time that game that required skill and coordination is replaced by [insert_generic_our_age_fps] with the cool perks and nice graphics

Last edited by blind,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Shootmania is definitely competitively viable but indeed as generic and watered-down as it gets. It seems like a step back to add Shootmania to IEM when we just lost QL and 1.6, games which all focus on aim, positioning, area control and movement, but where the latter 2 do so in a much more deep and complex way (and where QL is obviously far more ahead of 1.6). So, Shootmania in IEM or not, it’s a loss-loss situation. (unless Shootmania gets some drastic additions and changes which broaden the scope of the game)

Tribes and NS2 seem better competitors, game-mechanics wise, but both deviate too much from the “standard” close quarters battle competitive FPS concept to gain a large enough audience I’m afraid.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »