The next big FPS esport?

Created 28th May 2012 @ 17:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

luzik

Suoli
moog

Quoted from dodgydogman

[…]
I guess simple wasnt the right word, probably restricted would fit better. From what I could see, the editor didnt allow you to edit the very nitty gritty, such as precise map editing, lighting, character movement, weapons, etc. It seemed like you could edit the game, but within their weapons, set blocks and gameplay elements.

Though maybe they haven’t released enough, but i couldnt find much regarding the complexity of the map and gameplay editors..

Trackmania was a great game and a solid esport, so Im sure they know what they are doing regardless.

at least in trackmania the editor seems very simple and restricted like you said. But after looking at what others have managed to do with it, it seems like it’s not really that restricted. Fair enough it’s not like hammer editor or anything but still it is quite amazing what you can do with the trackmania editor. But dunno, we’ll see what it will be like.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Andee

I think esports is still growing. Just look at Diablo III selling records.

/thread.

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Has there ever been a ‘big’ FPS esport? Nevermind the next, where’s the first!

dodgydogman

Panda

Quoted from Monkeh

Has there ever been a ‘big’ FPS esport? Nevermind the next, where’s the first!

Never heard of quake 3?

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from beta

Nothing, e-sports is currently on a down turn due to market trends and of course the euro crisis etc.

E-Sports has had it’s day and I will be very surprised if we ever see anything the size of CGS, CPL World Tour and WCG again

I disagree. FPS eSports is dying, that I’ll admit.
But RTS games, DoTA and DoTA clones are incredibly popular nowadays.

Monkeh

Quoted from dodgydogman

Never heard of quake 3?

Before my online adventure began. So how big was this FPS esport…Multi thousand pound/dollar tournaments with hundreds or thousands watching? Tens of thousands of participants with no prize money, how do we define ‘BIG’?

Only asking as I have no idea, but I would imagine compared to the Koreans and their SC tournaments it would have been small time…massively small time.

Even that Dota 2 tournament showed what can be done with Valve’s bottomless cash bins. What’s the record prize money for an FPS tournament?

Last edited by Monkeh,

trams

-><-

Quoted from cmd

[…]
I disagree. FPS eSports is dying, that I’ll admit.
But RTS games, DoTA and DoTA clones are incredibly popular nowadays.

As greykarn stated: in the nordic countries RTS stands for less than 3% of the game sales.

FPS is still “big” and needs a game to replace 1.6 and Q3.
I know that na´vi got a 50k dollar prizecheck at some point, is that big enough for you? ;)

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

That’s because you’ve never seen it done well. You can do it super well, but you need a team of guys and a lot of gear.

I’d love to share your optimism, but even with 5 casters and 10 splitscreens, it will not be as spectator friendly as any mainstream sport/game. Look at any popular sport. Spectator-wise, they have 1 thing in common: As a viewer, you can see the whole playing field AND the point where the “action” is taking place in the same view/screen.

Compared to that TF2 (and every other FPS) has 2 problems:
– Action is taking place in multiple places at the same time.
– One cannot see a full overview of the complete playing field whilst also being able to clearly see the focus of action.

CS tried to do it with 2D maps and split screens, ShootMania does the splitscreens with overviews pretty well, but it still doesn’t compare to “see everything on 1 single screen”.

Only a simple game like ultiduo is always guaranteed to be spectator friendly, but at a great loss of depth of mechanics. QL and CPMA dueling works because you can just stick with one of both player’s first person perspective and basically see all the important action, yet still you’re missing half of the game, so it’s still not optimal.

I think another problem with FPS eSports is that it’s hard to gauge the gamer’s “physical agility” (don’t laugh) in terms of dexterity (aim, movement). Speccing from 1st person helps a bit, but when we look at a real life sport, we can actually see a sports player moving his body the way he does, and admire his skill. The skill required to press one’s keys on their keyboard and move their mouse is hard to translate to a spectator experience. I guess that’s why MOBA and RTS games are more popular to spec nowadays. The control-dexterity is still there, but the emphasis is definitely on the strategy, something spectators can more easily identify with.

Last edited by skeej,

Monkeh

Quoted from trams

I know that na´vi got a 50k dollar prizecheck at some point, is that big enough for you? ;)

Yes…yes it is. But then, as a 1 off I’m not sure it counts as fully…you know…BIG!!!!!

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

Before my online adventure began. So how big was this FPS esport…Multi thousand pound/dollar tournaments with hundreds or thousands watching? Tens of thousands of participants with no prize money, how do we define ‘BIG’?

Only asking as I have no idea, but I would imagine compared to the Koreans and their SC tournaments it would have been small time…massively small time.

Even that Dota 2 tournament showed what can be done with Valve’s bottomless cash bins. What’s the record prize money for an FPS tournament?

The CPL in its day with Quake 3 and painkiller was giving out $40,000 dollar prizes for tournament wins, i think even one painkiller cpl world tour win got a $140,000 prize or somthing insane.

If quake 5 was made into an amazing build for e-sports tournament game it could go huge tbh, its the perfect e-sports type of game.

I don’t think you can class Diablo3 as an esport though, despite its impressive sales figures? Its just a game.

Edit: 1st CPL NYC World Tour Finals 2005 ($150,000)

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Monkeh

So it seems there has been a lot of high prize monies for loads of game types, but FPS still lags behind, I wonder if Skeej has nailed it with the difficulty in translating the skill involved to spectators meaning less interest and therefore less sponsorship and prize monies.

I would bet a lot of monies that 99%, (maybe more), or spectators vanillatv gets are current or ex-players of TF2 who understand, (to varying degrees admittedly), WTF is going on and how difficult it is to hit that air shot on the strafing solly or get that juggle kill on the pesky scout.

Decent Wiki page about the history of esports here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_sports

Shows FPS have always been the ugly cousins of the esports world…which seems so backwards it hurts, but there you go.

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

Yeah Quake 3 was amazing to see at its height. The problem with games though is that they require so much knowledge to appreciate, for example without knowing exactly what’s going on in this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-00IYp9-U – would you realise that’s basically the skill equivalent of hitting about 10 airshots in a row, which is why the crowd goes absolutely nuts?

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from trams

[…]

As greykarn stated: in the nordic countries RTS stands for less than 3% of the game sales.

FPS is still “big” and needs a game to replace 1.6 and Q3.

Well… If game sales would represent esport success then Angry Birds would be an incredibly successful esport already… oh wait http://www.cadred.org/News/Article/172081/
FPS isn’t really all that big anymore, there’s a reason why quake got replaced with LoL at IEM, you know? ATM, I’d say FPS is dying, mostly cause it needs a game to replace it.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]
/thread.

Read posts thoroughly :)

Monkeh

Quoted from SnowiE

Yeah Quake 3 was amazing to see at its height. The problem with games though is that they require so much knowledge to appreciate, for example without knowing exactly what’s going on in this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-00IYp9-U – would you realise that’s basically the skill equivalent of hitting about 10 airshots in a row, which is why the crowd goes absolutely nuts?

lol, had to watch it 3 times to work out who won ffs!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »